Trip Report and Fuel Question

MtnMarty

So we are just into our first long trip with Maxy, from Western NC to NJ up I-81, which is hilly and high speed. We drove with AC in temps around 80, car loaded and driving at around 73 mph much of the way. Got 42 mpg for the 650 or so miles, so I'm really pleased with that. We only filled up once during the trip and thumbed our noses at the gas stations the rest of the way.

One problem: The last 2 fillips, I've not been able to use the gas pump on auto, but must "juice" the fuel in slowly or the pump clicks off. I didn't have that problem the first 2 fill-ups. Have others had this problem? Any solutions?

So we are just into our first long trip with Maxy, from Western NC to NJ up I-81, which is hilly and high speed. We drove with AC in temps around 80, car loaded and driving at around 73 mph much of the way. Got 42 mpg for the 650 or so miles, so I'm really pleased with that. We only filled up once during the trip and thumbed our noses at the gas stations the rest of the way.

One problem: The last 2 fillips, I've not been able to use the gas pump on auto, but must "juice" the fuel in slowly or the pump clicks off. I didn't have that problem the first 2 fill-ups. Have others had this problem? Any solutions?

I traveled the opposite direction also on my first long trip. We had mostly flat roads and the same speed limit but we only drove 66 mph. We also had about 150 pounds of luggage. We were getting about 42 mph. I think we're driving the speed limit on the way home. We haven't had problems using auto fill during gas fill ups. Enjoy your trip.

MtnMarty,

Were all these fillups at the same gas station, or at different gas stations?  I've not had this experience with my C-Max, but with my previous vehicle, I ran into this situation a couple of times over the 12 years I had that vehicle.  I just chalked it up to the individual fuel pump I was using at the time, for when I encountered this situation it was always when I was traveling and fueling at a gas station away from home.

One fill was at a the station around the corner from my house and the other several states away while on my trip. I'll need to fill up today as the gas pump light  is yellow. Will have my first 500 mile run and so I'll have to have a NJ gas jockey fill me up. (self fills not allowed in NJ).

This happens far too often with our Fusion Hybrid. Seems to happen about 1 in 5 fill ups. I always fill up at Holiday gas stations because of a discount program from a local grocery chain but at all kinds of different Holiday gas stations all over and all different pumps. I have tried using same pump again when that pump as acted up before and had it work the next time. I think the issue has to do with pressure in the gas tank or something like that

Just to continue the saga....filled up in NJ after a 500 mile run and in NJ you are not allowed to fill your own, so of course he pumped a bit more in after the shut off until I stopped him. I filled up one time in VA on the trip home, both times, the pump did not shut off. BUT, on the trip south on I-81 only got 38 mpg instead of the 42 on the way north. I found a web site showing the elevation changes on I-81 and there's a very decided advantage to going north as the altitude goes up almost all the way south. So that explains the discrepancy. We also drove about 75 mph on the way home, so I'm not disappointed. 

• 2 weeks later...

its most likely a bad pump. try a different one or anything the nozzle differently.some non major brands gas stations may not maintain their pumps as much as they should and not as often as the big 5  (Exxon, Mobil, Shell, Chevron, 76)

Interesting. Here in MN we don't hardly have any of those gas stations, a few Shell but very few, also a few Mobil. I wonder if there's really that much difference

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

check out toptiergas.com for a list of retailers who have the best gas (additives to keep your gas tank and injectors cleaner) and most likely you would have less problems with pumps at these stations as well. of course so many of these gas stations are owned by individuals and they cut corners and don't do squat to fix problems if it will cost them $1. they don't care if they p1$$ off their customers.

"customer service...what's that?" !!! ;)

Edited by salsaguy

Had this happen to me for the first time today at a Petro Canada in Toronto.  I had to reset the pump four times.  I tried wiggling the pump several times to make sure it was fully inserted but it kept happening until I finally finished the fill-up.

Try setting the pump on the lowest setting, so that it's pumping slower.  It's pressure that kicks off the pump, the slower pump speeds don't build up the pressure as much.

I live in NJ and for a couple years in high school I had a job pumping gas, whenever a pump would pre-maturely click off on a car I would set it on the lowest setting and usually that would work.

Edited by SnitGTS

Try setting the pump on the lowest setting, so that it's pumping slower.  It's pressure that kicks off the pump, the slower pump speeds don't build up the pressure as much.

I live in NJ and for a couple years in high school I had a job pumping gas, whenever a pump would pre-maturely click off on a car I would set it on the lowest setting and usually that would work.

Yep happened yesterday, had to set the pump on the lowest notch.

BUT it wasn't the C-Max.

I was pumping 60 gal. into our motor home. Took a long LONG time, I would have moved but it was the only pump I could reach without blocking the whole station.