With All The Current Battery Problems Should I Buy. Would You Still Buy Knowing Now?

As the title says: should I buy a new C-Max? I was all ready to do it but after reading through the forums, I am a little apprehensive. I guess the best question would be to you owners who HAVE HAD battery problems. Would you still buy knowing what you do now? I will need this vehicle for field service about 300 miles a week and many small stops. It will have to start every time I need to go. Also being designed for small trips it seems funny they are such power vampires they are not as well suited for a lot of start stop driving. Feel free to chime in! thanks

Edited by momoaz

I would be afraid of getting one, either a C-Max or a Fusion Hybrid.  My wife and I have one of each.  They were able to fix the C-Max but even after the latest "Fix" the Fusion is still giving the "Battery Saver" message with does not allow listening to the radio unless car is running.  Very frustrating.  Not worth the lack of trust that it will not go dead again.  No willing to use it on any trip away from home where it could safely break down.  Wish I had kept my boring Honda which, in 7 years never had a problem.

First of all, this is not meant to down play dead battery problems as I can now count myself among those affected but forums attract problems; that's one of their main functions.  So you can see a higher percentage than what is really occurring.   

No car is immune.  My Prius had an unusual issue labeled "rough cold engine start" by its forum members.   I'm not talking rough like running on 3 cylinders or bad gas.  No, the engine sounded like it was going to explode!  I had this happen to mine just as I was backing out of the garage with the car loaded to the gills with family and luggage for a week long spring break trip.  If it weren't from the knowledge I had gained on that forum, I would have immediately called for a tow to the dealership (like most others) and cancelled the trip but instead I powered down, restarted the car, and the engine ran fine never to do it again.

The Cmax comes with a warranty and, what appears to me, pro-active response from the factory to get things right so I wouldn't be too concerned about buying.  

I would be interested in seeing a survey of owners who had a battery problem to learn when these vehicles were manufactured. It might turn out that the fail rate is relatively high for vehicles manufactured before a certain date, and relatively low for vehicles manufactured after that date.

To illustrate why this might be a reasonable approach, consider the problems people reported with Sync/MFT. After a flood of forum posts, some analysis showed that the problem was resolved in later production runs.

My vehicle was manufactured in March 2013 and I've had no problems with the battery, NAV, or SYNC/MFT. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that the problems with the battery have been largely resolved in later production runs. If this is true, I would highly recommend you get the C-MAX, considering all the other positives of the car.  

Recommendation: If you like everything else about the car from reading these forums and doing a test drive, then do some additional homework to see if the battery concern might have been mitigated.  

My vehicle was manufactured in March 2013 and I've had no problems with the battery, NAV, or SYNC/MFT.

My thoughts exactly............ till the dead battery syndrome (DBS) affected me.  March '13 build.  I had just washed mine with a power washer then evening before.

Last time I checked the poll reflected the most affected are base SE owners but that probably is just reflecting that more SE's are sold.

My thoughts exactly............ till the dead battery syndrome (DBS) affected me.  March '13 build.  I had just washed mine with a power washer then evening before.

Last time I checked the poll reflected the most affected are base SE owners but that probably is just reflecting that more SE's are sold.

But what if the battery were built before a certain date? Is there any way to find out that info? And......do the SE trim models get a different battery from the SELs? Or is it just that like trim models are built at the same time?

But what if the battery were built before a certain date? Is there any way to find out that info? And......do the SE trim models get a different battery from the SELs? Or is it just that like trim models are built at the same time?

The TSB calls for replacing a wiring harness in the engine compartment that they think shorts when water gets in and cause the battery drain.   NOTE:  for outsiders (google searches) we are talking about the regular 12V battery not the large hybrid battery that helps us get great fuel economy.

Edited by fotomoto

• 2 weeks later...

I leased the Ford CMax on April 15 2013--I have had four incidents of getting into a brand new car, that won't start because of a dead battery.  Today,

May 29, 2103, the Ford CMax had to be towed back to the dealer for "checking on the problem".  This is the first brand new car that I have experienced a problem that usually happens with older vehicles.  Needless to say, I am disappointed with Ford.  I had a Ford Focus that I loved, which is what led me to another Ford. 

Anyone else having battery problems?

Sorry about the problems you've had, Kauai.  Don't know what the lemon laws are like in Hawaii, but I'd look into it.  I don't believe it's the brand or the model (most people don't seem to have had your bad luck, though some have), but your particular vehicle.  Bummer, though.

Dealer called today--no explanation of why the battery was totally drained, but they replaced the battery this time instead of just charging it for a full day.  Not comfortable at all with the car at this point.  Tomorrow I will call them and make a decision on the car.  Thank you.  I contact Ford via email with no response.  Disappointing.  Also I can't believe how many others are having this problem and there has been no recall!!

• 3 weeks later...

Mine doesn't have the problem, but my friend's identical one does. Go figure. It's happened twice -- first time they did the firmware upgrade and second time they replaced the battery. He's still happy with it, and says he'd buy it again. (Anyway, if it happens a couple more times, lemon law says he can get a buyback -- and get the SEL he wishes he'd bought instead of an SE.) 

Dealer called today--no explanation of why the battery was totally drained, but they replaced the battery this time instead of just charging it for a full day.  Not comfortable at all with the car at this point.  Tomorrow I will call them and make a decision on the car.  Thank you.  I contact Ford via email with no response.  Disappointing.  Also I can't believe how many others are having this problem and there has been no recall!!

I really don't think that many CMax are effected by this and mine is an early build. Mine is also an SEL as most with the issues are SE. I would suggest you read up a bit on this forum as there are many threads/post before concluding this is an issue requiring a country wide recall, please :)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Update:  it's been nearly 6 weeks with multiple power washes and two heavy rains yet no other issues.  The day before my dead battery, I had a gauge plugged into the OBD port which I think drained it overnight.  I haven't used it since.  

I think that there will be a major recall.  Just a gut feeling that I have.  We get the power save message to turn off the car if we try to listen to the radio.  Too many weird electrical things going on for a recall not to happen.  No C-Maxes on the road here in Western Canada and we are in the heartland of hybrids and bicycle paths.  I can go for a drive and see a least half a dozen Prius cars and I have never seen another C-Max. 

I think that there will be a major recall.  Just a gut feeling that I have.  We get the power save message to turn off the car if we try to listen to the radio.  Too many weird electrical things going on for a recall not to happen.  No C-Maxes on the road here in Western Canada and we are in the heartland of hybrids and bicycle paths.  I can go for a drive and see a least half a dozen Prius cars and I have never seen another C-Max. 

HUH? Is that something new, Laurel?  

i don't see a widespread recall happening especially since this group here is only a limited sample of all cmaxes on the road and in sure once they figured out what was wrong ( bad batch of batteries, bad module, etc. ) they would have immediately implemented the change on the assy line to limit more going out and sent a notice to Ford to fix those in stock, most likely without any public notice or awareness that it happened.

Edited by salsaguy

HUH? Is that something new, Laurel?  

Adair  it is not new.  It happened from day one and we just forgot about it as we rarely sit and listen to the radio.  I forgot all about bringing it up at the dealership when we were in for our six month check up.  I will just make sure it is on the list for October when we go in unless something else comes up in the interim.  We have a well functioning car overall, but I do think that are bugs that are serious and haven't been addressed.  And I still think it is very odd that the C-Maxes aren't selling here.  One dealer is three blocks away and has had six sitting there for months, and our dealership has yet to sell another one since we bought ours in November.  Now that could be signs of a bad economy, but it seems weird to me.  Like someone knows something we don't.

i don't see a widespread recall happening especially since this group here is only a limited sample of all cmaxes on the road and in sure once they figured out what was wrong ( bad batch of batteries, bad module, etc. ) they would have immediately implemented the change on the assy line to limit more going out and sent a notice to Ford to fix those in stock, most likely without any public notice or awareness that it happened.

Exactly. I am seeing a limited as well. We have multiple threads here from posters (which is a sample size) and predominantly, there is no issue.

The power save message I get as well, its usually about 15 mins after you turn off your engine so thats is not new. Which is sometimes I leave the engine on while I wait for a client and I got heckled to death over the time on my Trip computer for the miles by one poster.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

The power save message I get as well, its usually about 15 mins after you turn off your engine so thats is not new. Which is sometimes I leave the engine on while I wait for a client and I got heckled to death over the time on my Trip computer for the miles by one poster.

Laurel reported in another thread that the message comes up while driving

Oops, I got confused, that was someone else.

Edited by Noah Harbinger

Laurel reported in another thread that the message comes up while driving

Oops, I got confused, that was someone else.

Noah that was Mi-C.  They said they had it in to the dealership and this occurred. (not sure if any of what she wrote about addressed the save power coming on while driving and them losing power while driving). 

"UPDATE- picked up our C-Max just now. Here's info for everyone on what was found, done ... When I first posted, we had to wait until morning to take car to Dlr, but totally dead 12v Batt & had to tow it in to Dlr Fri, 6/7. We had a chance to speak with one of the 'hybrid' mechanics, told him details. Picked it up today: 1) Dlr put on charger- not hold a charge, New Batt #BXT-67R installed;

2) "perform 13A01 Sync w MFT update recall with NAV"; 3) "perform 13B06 rear gate trunk module reprogram- rgtmodule per recall".

FYI- in mailbox on arriving home Ford envelope "Important Svc Notice" and inside were "Customer Satisfaction Program xx" letter for both #'s 2) & 3) above. Ref 13A01: Software update v3.5-includes all improvements from previous updates includes following improvements: simplified phone pairing process; enhanced voice recognition performance; improved sound quality; simplified voice commands for radio and USB -connected audio players; enhanced voice and screen destination entry for vehicles equipped with navigation; updated Bluetooth device/Sync compatibility; outside air temperature display on the 8-inch touchscreen; new 'EV Info" button on home screen that will take you to a Powerflow Screen that shows energy flow information. Ref 13B06: says ?what is the issue? Hands free lift gate opening feature may exhibit intermittent condition where it does not fully open the lift gate during a hands-free (foot gesture) opening attempt; ?what will ford dealer do? Ford authorized Dlr to reprogram the Rear Gate Trunk Module free of charge (parts & labor)... This customer satisfaction program will be in effect until May 31, 2014 regardless of mileage. coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners."

Our C-Max was 'born' July, 2012, and has 302A package plus option sunroof. (we have handsfree trunk/ hatch rear gate.) And I will add our details to the POLL questions re batt thread to contribute data for benefit of all. I will post updates as we see how the "fixes" pan out. FWIW, we also spent the weekend scouting for alternative vehicles in case we ultimately have to give up on this Cmax, too.

Thanks to everyone who replied to our 1st posting here - and for all who contribute to various topics on this C-Max forum-- we also spent quite a lot of time while our C was in for repair reading lots! Of good-to-know info from other C owners. THANKS to all!!

I'm having an issue with my SEL's battery.  If the car sits for awhile/overnight and I try to restart it, it starts fine but immediately kicks in the ICE and the battery gauge is very low.  This has happened quite a few times before getting 3.5.1 upgrade and once since having it installed.  Don't know what could be draining the battery?  I'm not leaving anything running or plugged into the car.  But there is some sort of drain happening.  The power builds back up with a few miles of driving.  I'd sure hate to get in and find it dead.

I'm having an issue with my SEL's battery.  If the car sits for awhile/overnight and I try to restart it, it starts fine but immediately kicks in the ICE and the battery gauge is very low.  This has happened quite a few times before getting 3.5.1 upgrade and once since having it installed.  Don't know what could be draining the battery?  I'm not leaving anything running or plugged into the car.  But there is some sort of drain happening.  The power builds back up with a few miles of driving.  I'd sure hate to get in and find it dead.

You're talking about the High-voltage battery, right? Are you sure you're not just draining it lower than you realize in EV+ mode when you arrived the previous night?