Could you ever go back to a gas engine only car?

catsailor

I am having a hard time driving my wife's Ford Escape, I want to pump and glide and I want to brake re-gen and I can't :) I miss the coaching I get by driving with the instruments and I MISS getting +45 mpg right now.

Don't think I can drive a regualr car anymore and I certainly don't miss getting 285-325 miles to a tank full.  What about you, do you feel the switch, do you crave 18-22 mpg back in the day ;)

Oh, I'm with ya CatSailor! I just drove a loaner Focus for 2 days while mine was being evaluated for some SYNC/Nav problems and I had to totally regress in my driving habits! Even tho this was a 2013 and had some decent technology, it wasn't what I was used to in my C-MAX. Not to mention seeing 30 mpg totally freaked me out!!  :spend:

Only want to go forward to an Energi or pure electric.  I normally drive the Lexus to work (only 7 mile RT) and it bugs me no end to brake and think of all that energy just going to waste heat!  And all that down-shifting in the Honda gave me a Fit (but it is a nice little car).  The C-Max type transmission is really just one mechanical "gear", and with the nearly silent engine starts/stops, the car just runs on with no "shifting".

No, wouldn't want to go back to any previous car - not even the Rambler American with the "flat head" six, 3-speed on the column, "let of the gas to shift" overdrive and maybe 20 mpg!

Most likely no, assuming next time I'm looking for a car there is a hybrid / electric vehicle out there that can drive like the C-Max.  I've looked at the Prius before and even went as far as test driving one, but I didn't like how it drove, it's just too much of a compromise for me.  

Only two weeks into owning mine and so far loving the experience now that I have converted to Hybrid. Can't imagine the thought of switching back now that I am getting used to all the gizmos and PEP the Cmax has. People are always asking me "Does it have any power as all hybrids have little or no power". I can only assure them this has power to spare, yesterday I was passing a camper on a long straight stretch and hit 150 km/hr before I realized it and slowed down.

Cheers,

Bruce

• 1 month later...

No one makes a hybrid convertible, so for that reason alone, yes, I could go back to a gas-only car in a heartbeat, because man do I love convertibles.

That said, hopefully someone will make a hybrid convertible, so I can lust after that, and answer "No" to this thread's question. ;)

Um...I think I can, every now and then!   :shift:

9783b.jpg

(That's me in my 2007 Shelby GT500 on track at Virginia International Raceway back in 2011.)

In all seriousness, I am Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde when it comes to driving.  Behind the wheel of the Shelby, I'm a maniac - because the capabilities of the car allow me to be...heck, it encourages me to be!  But when I get behind the wheel of a hybrid, my entire outlook changes.  My wife used to have a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid, and it would drive her nuts that I would gain her 1-2 MPG every time I drove it for a day or more -- I drove in a very eco-friendly way!

I actually can't wait for my C-MAX to be delivered, because I believe it will lower my blood pressure considerably.  My Focus may not have the power of the GT500, but it's a 5-speed manual, so it's fun to toss around, and as a result, I can drive pretty, ahem, aggressively on the way to work.  That just leads to frustration, anger, and an overall unhappy commute.  I am looking forward to the peaceful, technologically advanced zen that Maxine will soon bring to my commuting!   :yahoo: