Easy fuel cap - premature shut off

Brazen

I have over 3500 miles on my SEL and have filled up maybe 6 times.  The last two fill ups I've had trouble with the pump shutting off every few seconds, requiring me to squeeze the handle over and over until I got near 13 gallons.

If I squeeze the handle just a tiny bit, I can get it to fill without shutting off, but this takes a LONG time.  Nothing in between "full blast" and "trickle" seemed to work.  I tried pushing the nozzle farther in, a little bit out, no luck.

Anyone else having this trouble?  I've filled up at the same station for most of my fill ups, so not sure what is different (I'm pretty sure I've used the same pump for some of them).

Brazen

Edited by Brazen

Alright, I won't sweat it then, but it must be a combination of the pump and the C-Max fuel intake, because I've used the same stations/pumps for many years with my other car, and never had this happen.

The C-Max must have a particularly narrow intake.  I'll keep track of the "bad" pumps and avoid them in the future.

I would say it is a combination of the pump and the car.  I live in NJ where you cannot pump your own gas and I worked at a gas station for a couple years in high school.  Our pumps would do that occasionally, but it typically happened on the same cars.  (repeat customers)  So the car is definitely part of the equation.

The best thing to do is slow the pump down to prevent pressure from building up too fast.  If the pump has a low setting then set it there, otherwise you may have to hold the nozzle.  

All of the above responses are helpful but unless I'm missing something here in California where fuel consumption is so closely controlled/regulated and watched (supposedly) by "Big Brother" who raises the prices on a whim.  I don't know of anyway the consumer has any control over the fuel delivery rates.  But I do agree that it is something to do with a bad pump nozzle which should be repaired or replaced and usually isn't due to the station owner's neglect.  I had one situation where I stood next to my wifes car waiting for it to fill and suddenly the gas poured out all over my hands and pants and shoes.  Smelled great in my car after driving away from this station for the last time.

It happens to me at one gas station.  I don't go there anymore, and I've not had any other problems.

Ditto.  At that station, the auto cut-out didnot operate and I had a quick overflow before I was able to release the handle.  That was the last time I went to that Station.