MFT Blank/Black Screen or Reboot Due to Phonebook Entries

New OASIS broadcast message from Ford regarding MFT issues:

Jun 05 2013 6155 -MyTouch Blank/Black Screen, Application Desktop.exe Error Message, Or System Reboot With Display Message Performing System Maintenance

Some MyTouch equipped vehicles may exhibit a blank/black screen, Application Desktop.exe error message, or a system reboot with a screen display of Performing System Maintenance that occurs frequently. Unique characters stored in phonebook entries, or the phone's name, may be creating these condition. To restore system function, the customer’s phone must have all special characters/smiley face emoticons removed. Once all special characters/smiley face emoticons are removed from the phonebook and/or phone name, perform a Master Reset on the Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM), then repair the phone to the system. Engineering is currently investigating this condition. Monitor OASIS for updates.

There was a similar broadcast message issued on 3/29/13.

We were developing a pattern.

Several days/weeks of no problems

Then three days in a row the clock would be off 1 or more hours

Radio preset buttons would be grayed out, still worked just no station frequency visible

90* turn at a stop sign or right on red would put our NAV location in the weeds.

Then the system would crash and "Performing System Maintenance"

etc.

etc.

Then Plus 3 suggested turning off auto phone update = fixed

Till yesterday, I forgot my phone, sync used DW's who hasn't turned off auto update.

This morning the clock was off 2:03

We used my phone today, NAV is still lost.

:waiting: till tomorrow

3.5.2 maybe soon ???

wab, you probably already know this, but just in case ....

Others have reported MFT problems caused by odd characters (whatever that means and no pun intended) in song titles, album names, etc.  I also recall reading that the same problem can occur due to contact names.  So you may want to scrub your contact list as it may help.  YMMV.

Cheers.

Very interesting. I have a new IPhone 5 and my emoticons transferred with contacts. For some very strange reason 600 characters downloaded with my contacts and the only way to delete them was one at a time!! I did this before reading the previous post about phone connectivity relating to emoticons. No scientific study, but I haven't experienced any lost phone connection since.

We were developing a pattern.

Then three days in a row the clock would be off 1 or more hours

Radio preset buttons would be grayed out, still worked just no station frequency visible

90* turn at a stop sign or right on red would put our NAV location in the weeds.

Then the system would crash and "Performing System Maintenance"

etc.

etc.

Then Plus 3 suggested turning off auto phone update = fixed

Till yesterday, I forgot my phone, sync used DW's who hasn't turned off auto update.

This morning the clock was off 2:03

We used my phone today, NAV is still lost.

:waiting: till tomorrow

3.5.2 maybe soon ???

Update:

The clock was RIGHT today.

I told my wife "my phone, my clock MY car" :wub2:  

Edited by wab