3.5.1 Thread

I got the upgrade and a whole lotta problems I didn't have before :-( Sometimes my phone won't sync, sometimes my phonebook doesn't load, sometimes voicelady doesn't respond when I toggle the right hand button, sometimes when I select bluetooth, MFT plays sound FROM MY PHONE (!) and a whole lotta tics and pops in the sound system I never had before. I hope to get mine rolled back to the last release, as I didn't have any serious problems before, but I sure do now. Sorry if this sounds like a rant, and I sincerely hope you have better luck. Or, that Detroit considers more thorough testing before prematurely releasing unstable software.

• 2 weeks later...

Microsoft Ford Synch looks to be built on top of Microsoft's embedded operating system for autos based on Windows CE. Windows CE is a distinct operating system and kernel, rather than a trimmed-down version of desktop Windows. Windows Embedded Automotive, as it is known now, has gone through many iterations and is currently on version 7 released in 2011. Microsoft's Automotive Business Unit has built both the software platforms used for automotivedevices as well as the devices themselves. 

Windows Embedded Automotive seems to have similar quality problems to other Microsoft software products. It likely retains compatibility with common Microsoft software architectures and development tools inheriting complexity and fundamental design issues. 

Being an IT manager I can attest to the challenges of using Microsoft products.  In my opinion Microsoft software is not secure, poorly architected, bloated, and often unstable. I am not sure what kind of deal Ford got going with Microsoft as a partner but it hasn't worked well for them. The challenge for Ford is the close dependencies between the hardware and Microsoft O/S. Not sure how they swap it out in already released cars.

Unfortunately if the instability (which I am sure it is) relates to the underlying architecture of the embedded operating system and hardware implementation I don't think we're going to see patches that fix the problems 100%. As we've seen each subsequent release seems to introduce new issues. 

I just updated to 3.5.1 and am seeing issues with the GPS I didn't have before.  My location doesn't appear to be accurate - it shows me about 50 to 100 feet short of my actual location.  I am also seeing a blinking circle around the arrow icon which probably signifies it doesn't have a good satellite lock.  I fear that I will be seeing other problems in the coming days. 

Microsoft Ford Synch looks to be built on top of Microsoft's embedded operating system for autos based on Windows CE. Windows CE is a distinct operating system and kernel, rather than a trimmed-down version of desktop Windows. Windows Embedded Automotive, as it is known now, has gone through many iterations and is currently on version 7 released in 2011. Microsoft's Automotive Business Unit has built both the software platforms used for automotivedevices as well as the devices themselves. 

Windows Embedded Automotive seems to have similar quality problems to other Microsoft software products. It likely retains compatibility with common Microsoft software architectures and development tools inheriting complexity and fundamental design issues. 

Being an IT manager I can attest to the challenges of using Microsoft products.  In my opinion Microsoft software is not secure, poorly architected, bloated, and often unstable. I am not sure what kind of deal Ford got going with Microsoft as a partner but it hasn't worked well for them. The challenge for Ford is the close dependencies between the hardware and Microsoft O/S. Not sure how they swap it out in already released cars.

Unfortunately if the instability (which I am sure it is) relates to the underlying architecture of the embedded operating system and hardware implementation I don't think we're going to see patches that fix the problems 100%. As we've seen each subsequent release seems to introduce new issues. 

I just updated to 3.5.1 and am seeing issues with the GPS I didn't have before.  My location doesn't appear to be accurate - it shows me about 50 to 100 feet short of my actual location.  I am also seeing a blinking circle around the arrow icon which probably signifies it doesn't have a good satellite lock.  I fear that I will be seeing other problems in the coming days. 

Did you have the TSB applied for the GPS error? What about having the dealer check the GPS module? Both have been indicated as causing the exact same issue that you are describing, either one or both of the proceedures have corrected the problem indicating that the issue has nothing to do with where ever the system is written in. Look at Apple and their "attempt" at writing their own Map / Navigation application - the beta testers that used it to find a local coffee shop still have not been located.

I had hardware issue with the system, the dealer corrected those after having the car for over 2 weeks while waiting for parts - since I have received the car back MFT has been rock solid, no reboots, no off the road navigation issues, absolutely nothing, but the dealer also applied both the TSB and replaced the GPS module.

I had 3.5.1 installed last week and seems to be workign without a hitch.  Dealer must have had to restart the Cmax numerous times during the process, as it is now showing as an "EV+" frequently visited location as I go by each day.

The Voice commands seem to work quicker, and changing Entertainment sources or programming is much faster.

Navigation was working before on 3.1.3 ok, so have not noticed any changes for 3.5.1.

Sorry to hear of installs that did not go as planned, reminds me of PC updates where drivers all of a sudden were no longer working or upgrades that give you blue screen.  Not sure how much training mechanics have to diagnose and repair what are more IT like services.

I had 3.5.1 installed last week and seems to be workign without a hitch.  Dealer must have had to restart the Cmax numerous times during the process, as it is now showing as an "EV+" frequently visited location as I go by each day.

The Voice commands seem to work quicker, and changing Entertainment sources or programming is much faster.

Navigation was working before on 3.1.3 ok, so have not noticed any changes for 3.5.1.

Sorry to hear of installs that did not go as planned, reminds me of PC updates where drivers all of a sudden were no longer working or upgrades that give you blue screen.  Not sure how much training mechanics have to diagnose and repair what are more IT like services.

That cracked me up!! 

I had the upgrade installed last Thursday,........took them 5 hours to do the,.......supposedly 1 hour upgrade. Everything seems to be working okay but,....I'm puzzled and maybe somebody can point me in the right direction.  I got the upgrade notice in the mail and it mentioned about 10 things that would improve,..... in particular was easier VOICE commands and easier Navigation.  However,.......there were no specifics offered and that is my issue,...........Does anyone no where you can find the Specific Details of the changes and improvements one is suppose to notice, not generalizations?   I thought that I would now be able to tap the Voice activation and Say AM Radio 1,...........stead of Radio,.......wait for reply,......respond with AM 1. But so far I haven't noticed any ,........EASIER VOICE Commands?

I still think that if the MFT ran on Mac power...we wouldn't be having all these issues.  Microsoft and PC's suck, Yah I am an Apple junkie but they are rock solid where bugs are concerned, or at least that has been my experience.

Matter of opinion - IOS has a lot of issues, if it was running IOS with navigation app, it would tell you that your route would run your thrhough London England when you only wanted to find something 10 miles away in LA.

MACS are NOT rock solid when it goes to bugs, neither are they hacker/virus proof, check NSA security databases for the solid information

I still think that if the MFT ran on Mac power...we wouldn't be having all these issues.  Microsoft and PC's suck, Yah I am an Apple junkie but they are rock solid where bugs are concerned, or at least that has been my experience.

Its coming to Chevrolet, and some high end autos as well.

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/will-apple-incs-ios-in-the-car-upend-the-entire-auto-industry-cm253184

I'm an Apple user and when my MFT crashes and I see the Microsoft emblem, I just have to sigh because crashing is Microsoft's middle name.  BUT, I think an even better option than Apple would be a Google System.  Google is far ahead of the curve than Apple when it comes to maps.

I'm an Apple user and when my MFT crashes and I see the Microsoft emblem, I just have to sigh because crashing is Microsoft's middle name.  BUT, I think an even better option than Apple would be a Google System.  Google is far ahead of the curve than Apple when it comes to maps.

Since mine was in for an extended stay for a lot of other hardware related issues have had 0 problems with the MFT system, radio, navigation. No restarts, accurate temperature and directions. Gas mileage is still the pits and I have to get it in for a annoying squeak, and the weed whacker sound effects from the A/C but duty and additional work related issues have prevented me from taking it in. 

Been running 3.5.1 now for 4 days.  Much more stable - no quirks, crashes or hangs.  Had to get use to the blinking circle on the GPS.  No texting with my iPhone - same as before.  Voice isn't perfect but never will be just like all voice systems.  

Gas mileage has been great.  Easily getting mid 40's - close to EPA estimates.

Going to take it on its first long trip - 550 miles over the 4th holiday.  Curious as to the mileage I'll get.

Been running 3.5.1 now for 4 days.  Much more stable - no quirks, crashes or hangs.  Had to get use to the blinking circle on the GPS.  No texting with my iPhone - same as before.  Voice isn't perfect but never will be just like all voice systems.  

Gas mileage has been great.  Easily getting mid 40's - close to EPA estimates.

Going to take it on its first long trip - 550 miles over the 4th holiday.  Curious as to the mileage I'll get.

That's weird, I've always had the blinking circle before and after I got the 3.5.1 update.

Hi....I brought my CMAX into the dealer yesterday to perform the update. When I got it back nothing was changed (still just a clock up top and no 'hybrid' screen). I told them the update didn'ty go through and they need to call Ford for help. ANY chance that a master reset just needs to be performed at the end for it to go through? I have a feeling they rushed the end because it was then end of the day.

Thx

Given the problems others have posted aquasax, I would take it back for a *do-over*!

And I have to say, all these issues with different dealerships and slipshod service is very upsetting! It makes be grateful for my dealership, and the excellent treatment I've received so far, but sad for all of you who have less than stellar service.

Adair I think good old fashioned work ethics have disappeared.  It seems rare to get stellar service from anyone whether it be car dealerships, plumbers, contractors etc.  Slap dash and superficial seem to be the modus operandi nowadays.  The times are a changing.  Just read an article about whether kids need to be taught to cursive write any longer!  I know for sure they don't teach them to count without using a calculator.  I am always amazed if you go into a MacDonalds or the like and the kid behind the counter can't figure out in his head what your change should be.  My age is showing LOL.

I'd love to take it back to the dealer, but in all honesty - I went without a car for a day while I happened to be off from work. Don' have the availability to really do it again soon. And the dealership is 25 minutes away. Just a pain to be honest. 

"We don't have loaners" and apparently it doesn't qualify for a rental! 

I'd suggest first discussing with dealer and then if not satisfied open a complaint with Ford.  

Points I'd make are: 1) you understand that the dealer / Ford is not "required" to give a loaner / rental for warranty work (but most do if the service requires more than one day as I assume Ford picks up the tab); 2) you expect that when you leave your car with the dealer, the work will be done correctly;  3) you should not have to be inconvenienced a second time by being without a car a full day because of their errors / mistakes (and perhaps even more times since you have no confidence they will do it correctly the second time); 4) A dealer employee can certainly drive a loaner (or SM's personal car) / "rental" to you and pick up your car;  4)  you will open a complaint with Ford if not in agreement on how to resolve.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer