Got mine back today

The had it just about 2 weeks, they are emailing me the work order. Looks like they did extensive work on the MFT system. 3.5.1 is installed, even got the iPhone 5 to sync and pass text messages to MFT. Will not be back at work for a few days so I can;t check some of the other issues that I had with the navigation. With the little bit of driving I have done with it today it shows me on the right roads and not a 1/2 mile off the road.

Unfortunately they introduced one new problem and another one just cropped up -

1. really annoying rattle coming from the dash board / drivers side door when traveling over rough ground - my driveway is cobblestone as are some of the roads in my area, at the dealer it is just normal asphalt roads.

2. this is the first time that I have used the A/C in the car, prior to me dropping it off the temperature was averaging 64-70 degrees so I had the windows rolled down or in some cases the heater on, when the a/c is running the car sounds like a weed whacker, going to wait and get a few miles on the car before I take it back for those two things just in case something else rears it head. Besides I think the service manager would run away screaming if he saw me tomorrow at 7 AM when they open

This just might resolve the majority of issues except for gas mileage, but in the long run I can probably live with it, still only getting about 35 - 37 miles to the galleon

Sorry to disagree, something is hitting or out of alignment. A fan is quite capable of spinning with no related noise.  I am not driving a weed wacker

I think its the compressor.  My Puron A/C at the house has the same noise only louder.

I think its the compressor.  My Puron A/C at the house has the same noise only louder.

The Lennox A/C units I have at the house only have the spinning fan noise, nothing from the compressor. The sound is annoying to both occupants of the vehicle and people that are around the car when it is sitting at a stop. Not acceptable by my standards of engineering

The Lennox A/C units I have at the house only have the spinning fan noise, nothing from the compressor. The sound is annoying to both occupants of the vehicle and people that are around the car when it is sitting at a stop. Not acceptable by my standards of engineering

Let us know if you get it fixed and what the procedure was.  If its possible I'll be in right after you!

I have the same noise but have described it as an electric chain saw buzz. I took it to Ford and they could hear it too and admitted it was loud. However after contacting Ford engineers they received a reply that it was normal and nothing was done.

Please post if your dealer finds a fix because it bugs me to.

I've mentioned my opinion before but I'll say it again here. I wonder if we're only noticing this because it isn't being masked by the sound of a running engine. 

I've found some mentions of the compressor used on the C-Max, which describe it as "quieter" than previous models. But I can't find a spec sheet saying what exactly that means - how many dB should it be putting out? (Has anyone measured it on their car? I've got a little app on my iPod but that's not particularly scientific). 

Some nasty A/C sound appears to be normal for this car, and we could presume it's present in all cars but normally masked by the sound of the engine or cooling fan. One reviewer compared it to a "dying transformer" and actually posted video/audio of the car at startup to demonstrate that he wasn't exaggerating how unpleasant it sounded. Then for fun he also posted startup audio/video of an Audi R8 with a Lamborghini V10 for "comparison." It's a gleefully vicious review that ends in grudging respect:  http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/2013-ford-c-max-the-not-jalopnik-review-510999801

So yeah, that sound. It's so nasty that co-workers look at me when I'm driving through the parking lot as if to ask if my brand-new C-Max is terribly broken. I have taken to driving through the lot with the A/C turned off so that instead they'll be impressed with the sexy faraway-jet-engine sound of the C-Max in EV mode.

Bad noises in a car always feel to me like contempt for the customer. Years ago I had a Saturn SL2 from the best year (1998 -- sporty tuning per earlier models, quieter running per later models) and there was just one thing I hated about it -- the horrible dying-transformer noise it made at idle. It bugged me SO MUCH because that's the kind of thing a Japanese manufacturer would notice, realize what an impact it could have on perceived quality and ownership enjoyment (hence willingness to be a repeat buyer), and FIX before releasing the model for sale. Ahem. The perceived-quality issue is as real today as in 1998...and, ahem, Ford, you may notice Saturn isn't around anymore.

Some nasty A/C sound appears to be normal for this car, and we could presume it's present in all cars but normally masked by the sound of the engine or cooling fan. One reviewer compared it to a "dying transformer" and actually posted video/audio of the car at startup to demonstrate that he wasn't exaggerating how unpleasant it sounded. Then for fun he also posted startup audio/video of an Audi R8 with a Lamborghini V10 for "comparison." It's a gleefully vicious review that ends in grudging respect:  http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/2013-ford-c-max-the-not-jalopnik-review-510999801

Yes, the sound in the video is normal and it is the A/C compressor.  I can barely hear it with the windows up and the radio off thanks to the Active Noise Cancellation.

I have noticed the AC compessor noise does get quieter after the system has been on for a while. You will notice the same when your house AC first starts.

It's a variable speed compressor, and after it's running for a while and gets things cool it quiets down a lot.

Personally, it doesn't bother me at all.

Yes, the sound in the video is normal and it is the A/C compressor.  I can barely hear it with the windows up and the radio off thanks to the Active Noise Cancellation.

It's a variable speed compressor, and after it's running for a while and gets things cool it quiets down a lot.

Personally, it doesn't bother me at all.

personally I can hear inside the car, it drives me up the wall, have had comments made by bystander's and other drivers that I should get the car checked because of the sound.

I have noticed the AC compessor noise does get quieter after the system has been on for a while. You will notice the same when your house AC first starts.

Is an hour "after awhile"? Have heard it when the temp outside was 80 degrees and I left my house to go to the district, about and hour later when I pulled into work and opened the door to swipe the security pass and key in the pin the sound was still there at the same level. If my house units sounded like this, there repair tech would be called

Edited by Wingrider01

Is an hour "after awhile"? Have heard it when the temp outside was 80 degrees and I left my house to go to the district, about and hour later when I pulled into work and opened the door to swipe the security pass and key in the pin the sound was still there at the same level. If my house units sounded like this, there repair tech would be called

It does not take an hour for mine to get much quieter, you may have a problem with the compressor if the sound doesnt change from initial startup to optimal running temp.

It does not take an hour for mine to get much quieter, you may have a problem with the compressor if the sound doesnt change from initial startup to optimal running temp.

which is why I am waiting a few days to take it back - they had it for close to two weeks for Sync/Nav problems and the 3.5.1 upgrade, they pretty much fork lifted the system. Drove a nice Mustang Convertible for those two weeks.

this IS very concerning as i agree any excessively loud sound can and WILL be perceived as a defect to the customer, esp since most know a hybrid is known to be super quiet. i doubt this is how they planned to have it loud enough to not scare/kill unsuspecting pedestrians.

my wife will not buy a car if something like this is a reality.especially coming from a Toyota with perceived very high quality levels, which is partly true if her SUV has lasted 13+ years and still running although in need of some repairs (cat converter and A/C pcb board issue).

hope they fix/ correct it.

this is the first car i know of with ACTIVE  noise canceling tech on-board so i wonder if they planned for this.

i doubt any potential customer hearing the cmax on the street would still want to get one if this is how they do their self advertising for the car.

(yes this is the quality engineer in me talking :p )

So far I haven't heard the noise you all are talking about. And yes, it's been warm enough here in MI to need the AC. :woohoo:  I have rolled down the window several times since this thread started and I have yet to hear anything but lovely silence.

So far I haven't heard the noise you all are talking about. And yes, it's been warm enough here in MI to need the AC. :woohoo:  I have rolled down the window several times since this thread started and I have yet to hear anything but lovely silence.

Had one of my friends quote the Allstate Motorcycle insurance commercial to me when I go to to the district this morning:)