Journey to 800+ Miles on a single tank in a C-Max Hybrid

Jus-A-CMax

2) do you get better mpg with a full tank when the weight is more or when it's half of below when the weight is less?

A full C-Max tank weighs about 80 pounds. The owner's manual says you lose 1mpg per 400 pounds of weight, so you'll lose maybe 0.2 mpg due to a full tank...which might be outweighed by any efficiencies gained due to a fuller tank (don't know if there are any).

I have found the best strategy seems to be;

#1 -Above 45mph, it is good to keep the battery level high. So, forcing the engine to run a bit more than you normally would is best.

#2 -Under 45mph on level ground, use EV to your advantage as much as possible.

#3 -35mph and under (again, on level ground), use P&G by punching up to speed anywhere from 2 to 3 bars depending on certain variables, and generally do your best to read the road conditions to glide as long as possible.

These three principals are my current driving style. This has brought my average MPG up from 55-56mpg consistantly up to 57-58mpg.

Oh, lastly, if you can do all of your driving under 35mph, that is best. Of course, that is not possible for most of us.  :)

Matt

Jus has us pretty much left in his dust at this point. I am excited to see just how high this current tank takes him!

Spot on there Matt, great tips - EVERYONE if you don't pick up on this and print it out and stick it on your CMax, you're missing out BIG TIME. Its what I do and the 1 variation is that for me, the 55mph is the border to switching to the freeway/highway battery management that Matt mention in #1. I'll also throw in there that how you "feather" and control the EV power is SUPER critical - have to find the spot where the speed can be sustain for the LEAST EV and you have to think about when you want to regen and match it to the terrain ---- see how terrain selection is ubber critical?

For now, on my legs, I seem to float between 63.2 and 63.7 Avg MPG, peaked at 64 once but that is very, very, very, VERY..did I type "very" enough?...HARD to maintain. For me, to get 55MPG on the Trip Summary feels like a 40MPG. I know its a perception thing and you guys are ripping me for thinking like that, since everyone here will die for a 55MPG sustained over 20+ miles - but hey, this is a journey and I'll lay out what I am thinking when all day I am seeing the 63+. I did one leg over 4 miles that was 40.4MPG but that had 3.3 EV but my gas was like 0.1 and that was painful but do realize that the leg was up hill almost all the way, my nemesis route. I won't blame the Costco shopping either or the watermelon weight for the poor MPG but it is what it is... :doh:

yes with the lithium ion battery in the cmax, it won't be the same as driving in a prius with their old tech nimh battery. CMax also has the highest mph threshold to stay in EV where prius gets out of EV at a pretty low number. it's all about knowing your tool/car and maximizing it for what it can do and minimizing the areas where it is weak.

You got it spot on as well salsaguy. Dude, you'll be deadly when you finally get your ...umh...wife's CMax... 

A full C-Max tank weighs about 80 pounds. The owner's manual says you lose 1mpg per 400 pounds of weight, so you'll lose maybe 0.2 mpg due to a full tank...which might be outweighed by any efficiencies gained due to a fuller tank (don't know if there are any).

Could be true but as an overall scheme of things, controlling whatand when you squirt the gas makes WAY more difference than the weight of gas.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Jus said :

"u got it spot on as well salsaguy. Dude, you'll be deadly when you finally get your ...umh...wife's CMax.."

yeah lets hope so. i have a feeling once in the car it will all go out of my brain. i can do P&G but to do what you guys do in a hybrid and learn to use those regen brakes will take time for sure, esp when i won't be able to drive it much since it will be my wifes car. that's why helping to pay for some of it will give me some privileges too. and, she did after all get to drive my poor mans luxury car (fully loaded Passat) the whole time i was in the hospital. she drove it more than i did the 1st year i had it since i was recovering at home for a while after i got out as well so i think i deserve some cmax time as well right?  :)

Edited by salsaguy

I have a C-Max Energi and it sounds to me that you folks have just the hybrid one.  Because I get 70+ mpg most if not all the time.  I went over 1000 miles on my last tank of gas and got 84.5 MPG.  What makes that possible is that about 60% of the miles are on electric mode.  Just the other day I had 4 miles on the electric range.  My trip took me 7.6 miles and the electric lasted the whole way.  Coming back it is a slight up hill trip, but with a fully depleted battery I still got 3.2 miles on electric.  This car amazes me more and more.  When I calculated the savings that this car would bring I have been surprised that the savings have been about $10 more dollars each month than I thought. 

I have a C-Max Energi and it sounds to me that you folks have just the hybrid one.  Because I get 70+ mpg most if not all the time.  I went over 1000 miles on my last tank of gas and got 84.5 MPG.  What makes that possible is that about 60% of the miles are on electric mode.  Just the other day I had 4 miles on the electric range.  My trip took me 7.6 miles and the electric lasted the whole way.  Coming back it is a slight up hill trip, but with a fully depleted battery I still got 3.2 miles on electric.  This car amazes me more and more.  When I calculated the savings that this car would bring I have been surprised that the savings have been about $10 more dollars each month than I thought. 

Welcome Barry...yeah, we have just the regular CMaxs. Our 600+ Mile CMax Club are for the regular C-Max hybrids only so we are stretching our mileage. Interesting that your EV is 60% and that is with the car's technology supporting you with the larger battery, EV later et al. For me, I have to manage my battery a lot since the regular C-Max battery pales incomparison to in the Energi but hey, I am getting about 78%-79% thus far of my miles as EV. Not doing too badly.

Now, since you have an Energi - care to take a challenge? Not against anyone - just yourself. You are allowed one and only one charge after you filled your gas tank. Then see how long how you can max your mileage with that single tank with NO additional charging. I predict 620 miles with 1 original charge and 1 tank of gas to empty. I want to see how the larger battery is effecting the driving. Care to take this up?

Post #1 updated with the 600 mile mark. Still hanging around the 63.2 and 63.7 Avg MPG but its now really, really hard to get the 0.1 to fluctuate too much either way. As ths rate, should hit the much vaunted 800 mile mark around Thursday. Whats slower than watching grass grow :headscratch:

Awesome, I think I'll be content with my 600ish tanks. Maybe once I hit 10k miles I might attempt a 700 mile tank. That should be around Sept or Oct time frame.

Keep up the great work. What do you avg for yearly mileage?

Keith

I was on a ludicrous 25,000 miles a year when I was at my other job as an appraiser. This new job, its about 50-60 miles a day depends if I go out to lunch, hit the gym or chiro after work....somewhat way less :)  Lifetime Avg is 47.1 at the moment, I have a feeling this is going to go way up.

Yeah, 600 a tank is GREAT. Also these miles are from work and play, so I think this would be natural for me unless I decide to change route and add in some freeways in the morning/evening but they're ALL stuck since LA is motor city.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Got to work, no trail blazing 79, jus 77...one too many squirt of gas. So I decided to check the miles to E...373. If that holds, guys...this is going to be a 850+ :drool: tank and I didn't factor in the additional 10 miles in zero red zone. 

That is insane.. :drop: ..., photos later. 

:)

All I can say is good luck and you make me sick, because today was an even worse day for my driving above 40 AvMPG

yeah asb, if most of your driving is on the freeway/highway at 55-75mph most of the time you will be using the gas engine more with much less hybrid/EVbeing used since the C-Max only goes up to 62 mpg in EV mode, so you will never reap the full benefits of the CMax´s power.

Any reason you chose the C-Max or a hybrid in general instead of getting a clean disel car (which is much better for longer trips at higher speeds on the freeway/highway) ?

Don't get me wrong, we're glad you're part of the C-Max club but I'm just curious. If you don't mind "only" getting 35-40 mpg on the C-max due to your current driving conditions that is great.it's a lot more than most any other car on the road anyways so it's hard to complain, as long as you know you wouldn't get 47 mpg if you drive >65mph.

(so many folks would die to get 40 mpg,my wife included with her SUV getting <17 mpg right now).

And I'd just be happy to hit 500.  But, since I drive 58 miles a day on the highway, I think I'll just live vicariously through you guys.

Edited by salsaguy

mtb, don't worry you have to take the bad with the good. your doing your part to save gas and the environment and having fun while trying to improve your mpg. you couldn't say that with your former gas burner before the C-Max so... don't sweat it.

better days are ahead.

Exactly...even better if you make your good REALLY GOOD and then make the bad, the LEAST bad. Think like that, you'll go far. It's a game, not life or dead here and theres no prize being the 1st, 2nd or last, its what you make of it. Now go get better MPG with those gas pods and work on feathering your pedal :)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Wow..how fickle are the MPG, today was bad run in..71.7 when normally its 75 or 77. It was a wee colder at 63f and sprinkling but I thought my drive was pretty fe and my batts a wee bit higher than usual...hmmmh. 63.5 avg right now with 9.79 used...onward we march :dogwalk:

Wow..how fickle are the MPG, today was bad run in..71.7 when normally its 75 or 77. It was a wee colder at 63f and sprinkling but I thought my drive was pretty fe and my batts a wee bit higher than usual...hmmmh. 63.5 avg right now with 9.79 used...onward we march :dogwalk:

What is your average speed when you get into the 70's?  When I drive to work I can get 47 sometimes 50mpg.  Going home I get 40.  I think its because of elevation differences and the a/c is working harder (living in Phoenix and no covered parking at work :( )

That's a good question and hard to answer as I drive in peak morning traffic but in the right and speed range +/-3 or 5 in the 35, 40 and 45 zones. That gets me say 70+ morning and 55 evening and 63 at lunch.  Try this... Pulse up to 5 mph over, glide to speed limit and feather the minimum ev power to maintain the street speed. Tweak when u need to come off and recycle as needed. 

I have a C-Max Energi and it sounds to me that you folks have just the hybrid one.  Because I get 70+ mpg most if not all the time.  I went over 1000 miles on my last tank of gas and got 84.5 MPG.  

Barry, yes this is the hybrid forum.  There is a separate energi forum if you need to talk specific plug-in issues.  Your mileage is great but don't go touting those numbers in a Volt forum.  I was at 165mpg lifetime and I was below avg at voltstats.net  Those guys are pulling some insane numbers.   :worship:

What is your average speed when you get into the 70's?  When I drive to work I can get 47 sometimes 50mpg.  Going home I get 40.  I think its because of elevation differences and the a/c is working harder (living in Phoenix and no covered parking at work :( )

The computer could be working the ICE harder and babying the battery after it's been in a hot parking lot all day.  This effect is very pronounced in the Energi.  Sitting in the sun on a hot day will get the battery temperature to 100 F easily (per Scangauge).  Once it hits 113-114, the ICE starts running even though the battery still has plenty of charge left.  A couple degrees hotter and it starts engine braking rather than regen, which the Energi never does unless the battery is full.

I can't speak with certainty for the hybrid, but it may be doing a bit of the same after an afternoon in Phoenix.

The computer could be working the ICE harder and babying the battery after it's been in a hot parking lot all day.  This effect is very pronounced in the Energi.  Sitting in the sun on a hot day will get the battery temperature to 100 F easily (per Scangauge).  Once it hits 113-114, the ICE starts running even though the battery still has plenty of charge left.  A couple degrees hotter and it starts engine braking rather than regen, which the Energi never does unless the battery is full.

I can't speak with certainty for the hybrid, but it may be doing a bit of the same after an afternoon in Phoenix.

Wow, didn't realize that and where I work IS HOT in the afternoon. So I remember posting that using the AC actually helps to cool the cabin and also the battery as we know the vents to the batts are in the rear. True for the Energis?

Barry, yes this is the hybrid forum.  There is a separate energi forum if you need to talk specific plug-in issues.  Your mileage is great but don't go touting those numbers in a Volt forum.  I was at 165mpg lifetime and I was below avg at voltstats.net  Those guys are pulling some insane numbers.   :worship:

165!!! That is beyond sick and it gets better huh? What the HELL am I doing with a CMax then....

oh.

oh, I lose the..

MFT.

Liftgate.

Space.

Driveability.

Upright seating

Great visual of the road.

Response.

Rear Camera.

The Ashton Martin grill....thats it for me, the grill is it. Can't have that, keeping the CMax then... ;)

134 more miles to go and 10.54 gallons used. This feels like a long, long marathon....whilst its fun, I am fatigued by the concentration just to keep up and maximize the FE. Oh can't go too much of a spurt here....thats 2 MPGs off from the Trip Computer. Damn those lights, never in sync. Did that moron just cut me off to a dead stop at the light? Man, this part of the road feels baby smooth...like a groove...and the classic one....WHY THE HELL DID THE RED LIGHT COME ON - theres no cars or pedestrian!

:runaway:  & :doh:

Hey, next guy that tries this would probably do a similar journal.

Enjoy the laughs ...cause I enjoyed the vent ;)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Jus I would love to see 63.5 AvMPG, but I know what you mean since you are on a quest for greatness :worship: .  I struggled to stay in the forty's today.  Guess it is because we have been so overcast and sprinkles for the last 48 hours and muggy at 75% humidity.  Very rare for the bay area.  But suppose to be hitting 90's by the weekend and 100 :drool: next Monday and Tuesday.  Crazy weather for NorCal.  A/C on full time there BABY!

Come to think of it, our grille does look a bit like an Ashton Martin but way cheaper :rockon:

Edited by mtb9153

Similar shape, yeah gotta love the look. Hey, full time AC is gonna really whack your MPG, and you think its bad now. Not sure what you're doing wrong or what, but I don't see these crazy fluctuations as I know certain streets are just bad, bad, bad for the MPG no matter what.