What did you do to your CMax today?

fotomoto

I washed Max this morning.   :clapping: Now he's sparkling clean.   :bliss:

I did wash my Maxine, she's sparkling White Platinum. And I also washed my wife's black Jaguar Vanden Plas as well, got extra suds... :skateboard:

@fotomote. Mate...thats a killer hitch there, :flirt:  it &  :worship:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

I didn't install it to tow. Instead I'll be using a cargo carrier for additional carrying capacity. Here's a test load for a future family camping trip this summer.

I'll post more in the cargo section which is where questions about towing/hauling are more appropriate.

Nice!!

Went to the beach with the kids.

Does the fact that the gear is stowed so far to the rear cause the back of the MAX to sag?  Is there a minimalist type of carrier like this that would be suitable for carrying a spare tire?  I plan on driving cross-country.  So, I wouldn't want the carrier for daily driving, just for when I would want to have a spare.

Did it kill your FE? :spend:

Does the fact that the gear is stowed so far to the rear cause the back of the MAX to sag?  Is there a minimalist type of carrier like this that would be suitable for carrying a spare tire?  I plan on driving cross-country.  So, I wouldn't want the carrier for daily driving, just for when I would want to have a spare.

Something like this would work for the spare.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/hitch-mount-spare-tire-carrier-done-570883/

Went to the beach with the kids.

7c86ba10-38ee-484b-a3bb-dfb8535f4ace_zps

All their sand coated stuff plus the ice chest remained outside the vehicle greatly lessening the amount of sand in the interior.  It's like having a pickup again!   :rockon:

I guess I missed the installation of your thing on the back.  Is that a wheel chair lift?  Would it would work to haul two electric tricycles (100lbs. each)?

Can't really see any sag but I not really weighting it down with heavy loads.  I'm not seeing any reduction in FE.   Yes, carrying a spare on family trips (just bought one off ebay) was one of the reasons for getting the carrier.  The spare will be stored in the garage for regular daily driving.

I guess I missed the installation of your thing on the back.  Is that a wheel chair lift?  Would it would work to haul two electric tricycles (100lbs. each)?

Here's the installation post:  http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/190-trailer-hitch-supplier/?p=25635    being a class II hitch it has a 350lb tongue rating.

Do they make smaller carriers, something that would just hold the tire?  What do you do about getting access to inside the liftgate?  Is it a pain to install and remove the carrier (heavy, etc.)?

Lots of carriers for bikes, etc so check around.  Please check out my link above about clearance.  Steel carrier is about 24lbs; aluminum is more expensive but lighter.  Class I rated products are generally also lighter.  Install into the hitch receiver is easy but you will have to get on the ground to put in/pull out the locking pin.

Can't really see any sag but I not really weighting it down with heavy loads.  I'm not seeing any reduction in FE.   Yes, carrying a spare on family trips (just bought one off ebay) was one of the reasons for getting the carrier.  The spare will be stored in the garage for regular daily driving.

Here's the installation post:  http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/190-trailer-hitch-supplier/?p=25635    being a class II hitch it has a 350lb tongue rating.

Thanks fotomoto!  Looks like a very handy contraption.  Is it difficult to take on and off?

Thanks fotomoto!  Looks like a very handy contraption.  Is it difficult to take on and off?

It's not hard as it only weighs about 25lbs but you do have to get on your hands and knees to install/remove the locking hitch pin.

Gave mine a much needed bath (been burning up the local highways).

null_zpsa444234d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I found a great coin holder.  Okay girls get out your lipstick cases.  I'm not sure any man would want a lipstick case/coin holder but if you can find one in a neutral color there you go.  No one would know the difference.  Quarters fit right in.  I don't know if they are all the same size but mine fits right under the armrest door.  Here's the picture.  

IMG_1139_zps50a095ee.jpg?t=1376430455

It's the green case right below the hinge.  I may cut the top off the case so that the coins can be accessed easier.  Right now I have mine wedged into that little space until I see if it stays there.  Otherwise I'll put some velcro on it so that it sticks permanently.