What is going to happen to these unsold C-Maxes?

Not to flog a dead horse, but C-Max Hybrids don't appear to be selling well in my neck of the woods.  I have to wonder why the dealers aren't advertising them.  So I am wondering what is going to happen to all of these unsold C-Maxes?  This is a look at dealer inventory about six blocks from where I live.  Those cars have been sitting there at least  2- 3 months without a sale.  http://apps.dealerconnection.com/dealers/oceanparkford/new-inventory?lang=en#modelid=285&filters=All/All/All/All//10/BodyDesc/1/0&fps=true  I wonder if they will ship them back to the States?

I find it a real puzzle.  We're in the Lower Mainland and I would have thought the C-Max would have sold like hot cakes.  We finally saw our first one last week, and it was the first and only one sold by the dealer that I posted the inventory of.  Our C-Max is the first and only one sold at our dealership and that was in November!  I'm like you and see quite a few Fusion Hybrids.  Maybe people aren't liking the styling of the C-Max??  I quite like it, but my husband is luke warm on the styling so maybe he is typically Canadian in taste.

My husband just said he thinks it is lack of advertising.  This is sad as soon it will be impossible to move the 2013's as everyone will want to wait for a 2014.  I know that there is an electric Focus sitting at our dealership and I think it's been there over a year and the price keeps dropping. Here is the inventory of the local dealer of 2012 Focus Electric--none have been sold.  http://apps.dealerconnection.com/dealers/dams/new-inventory?lang=en#modelid=226&filters=All/All/All/All//10/BodyDesc/1/0&fps=true

Edited by Laurel

Hybrids don't sell well either in my neck of the woods (truck country).   My 2010 prius was nearly a year old (10 months on the lot) when I picked it up at big discount.  

Only 3 out of every 100 new vehicles sold in the USA is a hybrid.  My guess is that California alone accounts for 1.x of those 3 new sales.  I would assume Canada has MUCH lower percentages.

Edited by fotomoto

This area of Canada is called Lotusland and the Prius is huge.  I wonder if we are battling all the imports which are hugely popular here on the West Coast.  We have Toyotas, Nissans, Kias, Acuras etc. coming out the whazoo around here.  Up country pickups are huge and Ford is a big seller of those and Chevy is popular for pickups too.

In the Phoenix area, can't figure out  the advertising strategy.  Most dealers haver featured vehicles/pricing/lease deals that are advertised each week, usually on Saturday.  Rarely is the Cmax shown in the Ford ads.

Not sure if it is a function of inventory, or dealers not wanting to spend ad space on a vehicle that has a lower buying appeal, compared to an F-150 truck.

When I bought mine, SELs were hard to come by, Energis were non-existent, and the dealer had 4-5 SEs on the lot.  Not sure if that has changed.

Maybe time for Ford national ads to drop the cartoon ads and go antoehr way

Not to flog a dead horse, but C-Max Hybrids don't appear to be selling well in my neck of the woods.  I have to wonder why the dealers aren't advertising them.  So I am wondering what is going to happen to all of these unsold C-Maxes?  This is a look at dealer inventory about six blocks from where I live.  Those cars have been sitting there at least  2- 3 months without a sale.  http://apps.dealerconnection.com/dealers/oceanparkford/new-inventory?lang=en#modelid=285&filters=All/All/All/All//10/BodyDesc/1/0&fps=true  I wonder if they will ship them back to the States?

I hope they do.  It`s the only way you can get the Daytime Running Lights unless its a Fleet purchase!

I find it a real puzzle.  We're in the Lower Mainland and I would have thought the C-Max would have sold like hot cakes.  We finally saw our first one last week, and it was the first and only one sold by the dealer that I posted the inventory of.  Our C-Max is the first and only one sold at our dealership and that was in November!  I'm like you and see quite a few Fusion Hybrids.  Maybe people aren't liking the styling of the C-Max??  I quite like it, but my husband is luke warm on the styling so maybe he is typically Canadian in taste.

My husband just said he thinks it is lack of advertising.  This is sad as soon it will be impossible to move the 2013's as everyone will want to wait for a 2014.  I know that there is an electric Focus sitting at our dealership and I think it's been there over a year and the price keeps dropping. Here is the inventory of the local dealer of 2012 Focus Electric--none have been sold.  http://apps.dealerconnection.com/dealers/dams/new-inventory?lang=en#modelid=226&filters=All/All/All/All//10/BodyDesc/1/0&fps=true

Buyers waiting for the 2014 C-MAX will only gain a different VIN#.  MY 14 Order Guide shows "Zero" changes for the next Model Year run.

Only 3 out of every 100 new vehicles sold in the USA is a hybrid.  My guess is that California alone accounts for 1.x of those 3 new sales.

I had to look that up: 

http://adamgoldfein.com/the-top-10-states-for-hybrid-sales/

So, California would be 0.79 out of every 3 hybrids, vs. .39 out of every 3 cars, if that source is accurate. 

we know the software and production line assembly improvements/issues (stuff behind the scenes) will be changed for sure on the 2014 but there is nothing they can list on the options sheet as a change, yes that is true.

Buyers waiting for the 2014 C-MAX will only gain a different VIN#.  MY 14 Order Guide shows "Zero" changes for the next Model Year run.

any unsold cars would most likely end up in taxi cab or corporate fleets as business cars.

i agree advertising is practically nil for the cmax lately. they don't play the cartoon one anymore but do play the blonde thin woman in her c-max every so often.

I'm sure the current lawsuit didn't help and until they fix the testing with epa .... (May take a while).

i wonder if Toyota requested a cease and desist from Ford on their advertising of the cmax comparing it to the Prius based on mpg data.

i agree only the warmer states will have higher hybrid sales.perhaps Ford overbought on what they thought they could do at new owner acquisitions to take over Toyota and make folks but a Ford instead. too many green car options now and yes the cmax design isn't for all tastes I'm sure.

The Fusion is a sexy car for sure. CMax more practical but not every soccer mom wants to lose her big SUV for a c-max no matter how expensive gas gets.

Edited by salsaguy

I have only seen one that is not a rental in South Florida.  I have spotted at least four rentals.

First of all, Nice Dog!  Seems that Enterprise Car Rental is the primary source.  They have already listed a Used C-MAX for sale in IL with very low mileage.  Would like to grab a low milage used "Fleet" C-MAX locally (if) the price was right.

we know the software and production line assembly improvements/issues (stuff behind the scenes) will be changed for sure on the 2014 but there is nothing they can list on the options sheet as a change, yes that is true.

Whatever those "assembly improvements/issues/ and (stuff behind the scenes) will have to be addressed "Very Quickly" since MY 13  JOB 1 Last Date is Nov. 29 and MY 14 JOB 1 Date begins on Dec. 2 two days later, lol.

Joe, that is because Ford only allots so many cars per dealer and they have to wait to sell them. the places where they  expect to sell more will get more cars per allotment like in CA or other places where hybrids sell a lot.

Our dealership appears to have one C-Max on the lot at a time.  But they appear to sell within a month or so

On another thread I mentioned that on a recent trip to Honolulu and Maui I saw lots of rental CMax's.  

I commented then that Ford was probably offering deals to the rental companies to get the sales figures up.  They've done that before on slow sellers.

I imagine that the word is out on the poor fuel economy and real sales to private owners are down significantly.

I see lots of maxes here in central Ohio. Just saw a SEL energy at a shopping center yesterday. I have noticed that I haven't seen a single comerial for them in at least a month now. What's up with that?

Thanks to the recall dealers can't sell any now or even let anyone take test drives. I have to take mine in for the recall when the parts are available at the end of the month. The service guy told me that yesterday when I took mine in for an oil change.

Don't care what they say. I like my C Max. Even with lots of freeway driving my lifetime average is 44mpg. That's with the break in and winter driving. I average 49.8 mpg now with 5,000 miles and warm weather.

i don't think they can include fleet sales as part of the consumer sales numbers that are posted to show a cars popularity. they have to keep those separate right?

Also if the sales were really bad i don't think the 2014s would be coming out.they would kill the model and move on. plus the opposite is true the demand was so high they couldn't keep up.

On another thread I mentioned that on a recent trip to Honolulu and Maui I saw lots of rental CMax's.  

I commented then that Ford was probably offering deals to the rental companies to get the sales figures up.  They've done that before on slow sellers.

I imagine that the word is out on the poor fuel economy and real sales to private owners are down significantly.