New FSA Notice 13C02 - HEADLINER HEAD IMPACT PROTECTION

Called the  dealer today in the hopes of getting an update on when the headliner recall will be completed so we may officially purchase & take delivery on our c-max.  Unfortunately, they have no real information.  No idea when parts will even be in.  I may call Ford to try to get more info as I have read on this forum plenty have been getting this recall performed in the last few days.  You'd think a fairly large dealer in the Chicago  area (& Ford) would show eagerness to deliver and receive payment for this car?  

Called Ford, they were very helpful!  They were able to confirm the parts should be there and made the service dept. locate them. What do you know they turned up.   My guess they were probably sitting there since the weekend.  Salesman said he had been checking "everyday" to see if they arrived.  I doubt the truthfulness of that statement.   Again, you think these people would be interested in selling a car?  

I had it done yesterday too.  I have no idea how long it actually took, since they gave me a rental for the day.  I didn't have any fingerprint issues around where they fixed, but I made them take it back to clean some greasy elbow prints on the center console and boot marks on the door panels.  The headliner itself looks fine - I can feel the difference when I run my hands along that area, but while there may be a bigger "lump" there, it's hard to see the difference.

As for electrical tests, my radio works fine in all modes, the dimming mirror still works, overhead lighting is fine and the rear wipe and washer work.  Haven't gotten to test the rain sensing wipers (will have to use the hose for this as we apparently don't get rain here anymore) and I forgot to test the gate opener thingy on the sunshade last night.

Bill,

You must be the first on this website to have the headliner fix done.  Did they do a good job lowering and reattaching the headliner.  Any fingerprints on it or other issues with the electrical components located in the headliner?    How long did it take them?  Have you noticed any significant changes in the operation of the car after the FE update?  More information on your thoughts on both updates would be appreciated.  I have an appointment to do all three updates on August 19th.  

Bill,

You must be the first on this website to have the headliner fix done.  Did they do a good job lowering and reattaching the headliner.  Any fingerprints on it or other issues with the electrical components located in the headliner?    How long did it take them?  Have you noticed any significant changes in the operation of the car after the FE update?  More information on your thoughts on both updates would be appreciated.  I have an appointment to do all three updates on August 19th.  

The dealer did a fine job with the headliner; no smudges or anything.  Indeed, there's in no visible difference in the headliner.  The only thing I deliberately tested was the rear washer and it works fine (no water leaks inside that I could find).

Service times are shown on the original thumbnail; less than a day for both.

FE update issues: lost EV+ locations is all; no noticeable change in driving behavior.  We'll have to wait to see if fuel economy actually increases.  I expect it will since we live in a cold climate and tend to make short trips over hilly terrain.

Thoughts on both update:  no worries, especially since dealer stock has to have the headliner done.  My dealer probably "practiced" on them first.

I'm scheduled to pick up my new SEL tomorrow with the 2 recall/upgrades completed: 13C02 and 13B07. It's been sitting in the dealership for 3 weeks waiting on the parts. I read on the forum today that some of you were getting the headliners fixed, so I called the service dept. directly and found out the parts were in... my SA was off for a few days, but another SA got it in the shop and I'm picking it up tomorrow. I'm stoked.... it's been a long, patient wait. SEL 302A Ice Storm...SWEEET!

I'm scheduled to pick up my new SEL tomorrow with the 2 recall/upgrades completed: 13C02 and 13B07. It's been sitting in the dealership for 3 weeks waiting on the parts. I read on the forum today that some of you were getting the headliners fixed, so I called the service dept. directly and found out the parts were in... my SA was off for a few days, but another SA got it in the shop and I'm picking it up tomorrow. I'm stoked.... it's been a long, patient wait. SEL 302A Ice Storm...SWEEET!

So you were in charge of making sure the service department located the parts and that your car was scheduled to be updated?  No help from the person who sold you your car?

My SA was out with an injury for 10 days, and the sales team was off the beginning of the week after doing 10 days on, so one call to another SA made it happen.... picked up the car today.... headliner done, but they didn't do the 13B07 upgrade... aargh! I live 1.5 hours away, so this means another trip to the city.

During the purchase test drive, we never got over 60, so didn't notice that the upgrade was incomplete. My SA (who was back) assumed it was completed as we directly discussed running in EV up to 75mph with the re-calibration. Guess I was too naive...

Does anyone know if the ETIS report is updated as soon as the work is done on the car?  My report is still showing the 13C02 and the 13B07 are still outstanding...??

Does anyone know if the ETIS report is updated as soon as the work is done on the car?  My report is still showing the 13C02 and the 13B07 are still outstanding...??

Pretty much.  My updates were done Tuesday, and Etis is up-to-date as of now.  I would guess it's an overnight thing (assuming the Dealer submits the info.).  I seriously doubt if it's any sort of realtime update.

Edited by Bill-N

so they fraudulently stated the FE update HAD been installed per your final paperwork which they had you sign when you paid or picked up this keys??

why are you accusing them of fraud?

"My SA (who was back) assumed it was completed"

where does the op state is was on the final paperwork I must be missing it

There's nothing in the final paperwork that specifically says any of the updates were done, but they can't sell the car without the updates completed. We had that very conversation. I am assuming the PCM didn't 'take', and the techies were unaware of it, as I might have been one of their first. I don't feel that it was on purpose, just not the best oversight on the upgrade.

Got the letter for 13C02 yesterday (along with a 2nd letter regarding 13B07), so I called my FLD today to set up an appointment.  Surprise!  They don't have the parts yet.  I thought the letters didn't go out until the parts were in, but I guess I was wrong.  DID make an appointment for 13B07, since I have a SAN-SFO-SAN trip coming next week-- should be interesting to see what sort of mileage I get.  It was somewhere around 35mpg when I did the trip in December.

I just called today seeing it on the sync my ride mobile site(I had to dig a bit on the regular page) They said there is a recall but not to schedual an appointment till I get the formal letter in the mail since that will indicate parts were in for the fix.

I still thought the recall notice was very vauge. I saw headliner head impact and thought it was a chair piece and not a roof thing.

BTW if any admins have any recomendations on upgrades to request while they're up there send me a PM. I just hate the antenna on my cmax, I for some reason thought I was getting a hocky puck antenna and not a stick antenna. On my Pontiac vibe it always reminded me of a rino tail when I used the rear sprayer (I knew there was something up when the people behind me burst out laughing when I cleaned my window [if you know what I mean]).

BTW BTW with my cmax I had the choice of touch screen or panaramic roof and I went with touch.

Wow, a fellow NYer with a C Max and a Vibe!  I have a Prius also.  How do you like the C Max?  We have about 7800 miles on ours.

Has any one gone in for the the headline had impact fix?  What is entailed? Before/After pics.  Do they staple pillows to the ceiling?  I kid...  But they are saying a day and half to fix, but they also allot a software update for the same amount of time.  Inquiring minds want to know considering the scratches the applied to my dash installing the inspection decal to the interior of the front window.

Ford allows 1 1/2 hours.  My dealer has done quite a few. They have had no problems, but don't be the first!  Keep in mind that the dealer can't sell stock that has not had the recall. So those Cmax's are done first.  Mine will be done when they are able to get the parts.

Has any one gone in for the the headline had impact fix?  What is entailed? Before/After pics.  Do they staple pillows to the ceiling?  I kid...  But they are saying a day and half to fix, but they also allot a software update for the same amount of time.  Inquiring minds want to know considering the scratches the applied to my dash installing the inspection decal to the interior of the front window.

I had both the headliner impact and reprogramming done the other day. Car was there from 9-5 but not sure how much of that time was spent actually doing it. The next day I noticed the black rubber seal which goes around the passenger entrance section of the body (attached to the body of the car along the B-pillar, entrance sill, etc) is now loose, almost made it impossible to shut the passenger door. It's funny whenever I pick up the car after service, they make sure to say "give us nothing less than an excellent rating if you get a survey". I usually just don't complete the surveys.

I had both the headliner impact and reprogramming done the other day. Car was there from 9-5 but not sure how much of that time was spent actually doing it. The next day I noticed the black rubber seal which goes around the passenger entrance section of the body (attached to the body of the car along the B-pillar, entrance sill, etc) is now loose, almost made it impossible to shut the passenger door. It's funny whenever I pick up the car after service, they make sure to say "give us nothing less than an excellent rating if you get a survey". I usually just don't complete the surveys.

You should complete the survey. It appears that many dealers take it very seriously. For salespeople their commission depends on what you score them on the survey.

• 3 weeks later...

I just left the car at the dealer for the day. Other than the door/body seal issue, I compared the seat belt height adjuster to a new C-Max in the showroom. It seems they didn't reinstall it correctly, which causes the seat belt not to retract smoothly or quickly and sometimes not at all. The plastic cover on which you depress the button to raise or lower the belt anchorage point is supposed to move in sync with the seat belt anchor point itself. Mine does not move in this fashion, thus the problem. 

I really get annoyed by return trips to the dealer which they themselves caused but since I'm their C-Max Guinea pig, that's the way it is.