Ford to Offer Free Updates to Boost Hybrid Vehicle Efficiency

Just had this update done to my wife's C-MAX today, as well as the headliner recall.

We'll see how the mileage goes from here.  Just for reference, the current tank has gone 379 miles at an indicated 47.7 mpg average, all suburban and rural driving, no highway.  Her lifetime average mpg is 42.4.

She'll be leaving Friday for a 350 mile highway trip through the NC mountains to Tennessee.  It'll be interesting to see what mpg she gets on that.

Edited by boilermax

I know BUT 40 would be NICE!

Hopefully it will beat the less than 37 we got on the last two trips (same destination).

It might be possible to get 40.  I got this over the weekend after the update and I thought it was higher than my previous trips but it turned out to be 44.2 mpg actual.  This was Detroit to Toronto, Toronto to Niagra, Niagra to Toronto then back to Detroit.  Had a few stretches of 70MPH but mostly done at 66MPH with eco-cruise.

post-105-0-56619700-1375836563_thumb.jpg

For reference, since June I've driven 4554 miles on round trips from Detroit to Toronto (86% highway).  I've averaged 44.17 mpg during those trips using pretty much the same route up highway 401, the 14-15% city is the only part of the route that actually varies.

Edited by RaPieR

I got both the recall letter and the 13B07 letter in the mail today. Called the dealer and they want to hang on to the car for an entire day  :nonono:. So, I had to schedule a convenient time a couple weeks from now.

I'm excited about the update. I'm getting very good mileage (45 mpg the last couple tanks), and I make quite a few short trips, so hopefully I'll be seeing some 47+ tanks post update.

I got both the recall letter and the 13B07 letter in the mail today. Called the dealer and they want to hang on to the car for an entire day  :nonono:. So, I had to schedule a convenient time a couple weeks from now.

I'm excited about the update. I'm getting very good mileage (45 mpg the last couple tanks), and I make quite a few short trips, so hopefully I'll be seeing some 47+ tanks post update.

FYI

I left my car at the dealer late one evening(service was closed) and got a call around 11:30 am the next morning that it was done.  The calibration was .5 units and the headliner was 1.5 units which I suspect a unit is an hour.  And the charge/unit around $100.  The charge for the headliner part was nominally around $13.

Got both letters in the mail today when I got back from having both things done. So nice to be ahead of the game for once. Anyhow.... for comparison pre-update a round trip from home to Johnson city (take this drive about every 3 days or so) about 60 miles, about 15 of that EV, never more than about 41.6 mpg. Took the same drive today. 47.3 mpg and 32.6 EV. I am a happy girl.

We got the letter about 13B07 after already getting it installed yesterday, today.

For some reason we are unable to maintain high speed EV except when going downhill, any ideas??

Same here.

It was already in the mail when we were upgraded.

Sounds like your upgrade didn't work.

Have you checked your "Life Time" Regin miles?

If it's not very low then you need to revisit your dealer.

Ours was .7 down from 100+ (at least), when we picked it up.

Before the upgrade we had a hard time maintaining 45 EV on level ground, now on the same road we can accelerate :yahoo: !

We were in EV at 55 and above almost never,  now we go in and out often but not for very long, the battery is not big enough BUT we do EV for a tenth of a mile (looking for more distance as I learn) at 70+mph.

Can't wait for some of the HIGH MPG drivers to report their results.

Although someone did suggest they may have to re-learn to drive the cmax. 

Edited by wab

For some reason we are unable to maintain high speed EV except when going downhill, any ideas??

It's a hybrid not an EV so it really isn't meant to propel the car at high speeds; rather aid the ICE.  While in EV at 60+mph, applying enough throttle to accelerate will drop it out of EV.   You'll have to feather the throttle to keep it in EV at high speeds; a slight rise, a gust of headwind, etc will be enough to require additional power from the ICE.  

Edited by fotomoto

It's a hybrid not an EV so it really isn't meant to propel the car at high speeds; rather aid the ICE.  While in EV at 60+mph, applying enough throttle to accelerate will drop it out of EV.   You'll have to feather the throttle to keep it in EV at high speeds; a slight rise, a gust of headwind, etc will be enough to require additional power from the ICE.  

As I stated previously, I've done pulse & glide, I've even sped up to 5 MPH+ the speed I want, set cruise & using Set- coasted down to the speed I want. The majority of our freeway driving is 20+ miles in a 70 MPH Speed Zone, & so far after 1 one way trip, & 1 round trip, we've only manged to get EV to kick in above 62 MPH while going downhill. So either the roadways around here are not level or there is some other factor happening.

When going 65-70, EV Assist will kick in.

I verified from the SA that 13B07 was successfully installed before leaving the dealership with the car.

I had mine done a week ago. Everything works on mine as stated in the bulletin. My driving is 65-70% city so my mileage was great before the update. I haven't noticed any change in mileage but I also drive 66 MPH on the highway too. I'm guessing as suggested elsewhere this update helps those that are driving more highway miles and faster highway speeds. It may boost mileage in colder months as well.

What I am observing is that, before the upgrade, I absolutely could never experience EV above 62 mph.  Now, after the upgrade, I can get it into EV mode at highway speeds if I am not accelerating at all.  If I am going downhill, it will remain in EV longer.  If the road is flat, it will get into EV but not stay there for long--I have to continually "pulse and glide".  Since my commute is mostly city driving, I am not sure how much this aspect of the upgrade will help my overall gas mileage.  I am hoping that the part of the upgrade which changes the behavior of the grille shutters with regard to temperature has a big impact, since the cold winter weather here in Pennsylvania really took a toll on my gas mileage this past winter.

I had an interesting upgrade install experience!  I must have been one of the first at the dealership in Roseville, CA. They tried 10 times to upgrade, over 2 hours, and it 'would not take'. They even said the car's computer was wiped clean and they were going to have to give us a rental (were were going to SF and had a schedule to meet). Finally, they called a Ford Tech Line, and discovered that they were using the wrong "hardware hook-up cable" between the laptop and the car's PCM. Apparently, because it was originally installed as the older version (prior to June 26) and was being upgraded, it required a different hardware hookup than a newer install (after June 26), being upgraded.... not exactly sure of the details, and I might have some of the facts incorrect, but there were 2 different part numbers for the different hardware hookups. Bottom line, it took on the first try with the new configuration -yeah!

I've only got 500 miles on my Max, so I'm still learning the ropes, but I did get 48 mpg for a good portion of our trip to SF, so I know the upgrade is working well (and I've getting EV mode in many instances up to 70mph+).  Only bummer is that once I get to the Sierra Foothills (where I live), I'm up and down a lot of steep grades (8 - 12%) and getting about 38 mpg - hope to be able to improve on that....

Drove again to Toronto this weekend.  Did a lot better compared to my first trip after the update.  It looks like 65MPH is the new sweet spot for my C-Max, I was able to drive at 65MPH with no drafting and average 46.9MPG over 40 miles, I don't know what the elevations were though.

Pre-update:

4554 miles - 44.1MPG

Post Update:

1231.4 miles - 45.25MPG actual (47.3MPG Dashboard)

Route.png

Edited by RaPieR

I just spent this past workweek (Fri-Tue for me) gathering pre-update data for comparison. My C-Max goes in for the update tomorrow morning.

My commute consists of about 8 miles at the beginning and 6 miles at the end with speed limits of 45 and 55 MPH, and a 32 mile stretch in the middle with a speed limit of 65 MPH.

What I've done is follow the speed limits with ECO-Cruise set and recorded the following Pre-Update information:

Average Daily Round-Trip Miles: 94.1

Average Daily EV Miles: 17.9

Average Daily Regen Miles: 1.8

Average Daily Gallons Used: 2.24

Average Daily MPG: 42.0

This testing dropped my latest fill-up from the previous 42.8MPG to 38.3MPG today, a difference of about 4.5MPG...Ugh!

I'll repost after I've compiled the post-update data during my next workweek.

My C-Max was updated last Wednesday and I spent this past workweek (Thu-Mon this time) compiling FE data for post-update comparison. Here's what I got:

Average Daily Round-Trip Miles:93.7

Average Daily EV Miles: 20.3                (This was a decent improvement...)

Average Daily Regen Miles: 1.7

Average Daily Gallons Used: 2.22

Average Daily MPG: 42.2                       (...but this wasn't.)

Doesn't seem like a drastic improvement. Will see what happens once I start actually trying to save gas...

Galpin is going to have Maxine ALL WEEK   for the 13B07, Headliner and my AC issue... :gaah:....but I get to drive a Passat SE in the interim. Chance to check out this German chic, and immediately shes a weighty beast to steer around the dance floor....kinda like dancing with a BIG MOMMA  :drop: