New to the forum - no happy camper

NCost

• 4 weeks later...

My wife is on her second Prius and I just traded my Fusion hybrid for a C-Max. Based on 50K miles in each car, the Prius averages about 45 mpg in the Maine winter and about 53 spring to fall. My Fusion averaged about 38 and 44-45 winter/summer. The C-Max is doing about 38 in the winter and I expect it will do about 45 in the summer.

The biggest winter issue for a hybrid after battery warmup is running the heater. I routinely shut it off at traffic lights and invariably the engine will shut down. If I did not do this the mileage would go down. At other times, the biggest issue with mileage is how the car is driven whether it is a Prius or Ford. I routinely drive 5 mph over the speed limit but I take it easy getting it up to speed. I can guarantee that the Priuses that drive 15 mph over the speed limit or floor it when the light changes are not getting anything near the EPA estimates. Hybrids need and should be driven a bit differently if you want good mileage.

With all that said, the C-Max is the best car overall I have ever driven. Handling, engine/transmission combination, comfort, interior amenities and electronics are A1. My wife's Prius is absolutely rugged and gets better mileage but in every other aspect it lags quite a bit.

My wife is on her second Prius and I just traded my Fusion hybrid for a C-Max. Based on 50K miles in each car, the Prius averages about 45 mpg in the Maine winter and about 53 spring to fall. My Fusion averaged about 38 and 44-45 winter/summer. The C-Max is doing about 38 in the winter and I expect it will do about 45 in the summer.

The biggest winter issue for a hybrid after battery warmup is running the heater. I routinely shut it off at traffic lights and invariably the engine will shut down. If I did not do this the mileage would go down. At other times, the biggest issue with mileage is how the car is driven whether it is a Prius or Ford. I routinely drive 5 mph over the speed limit but I take it easy getting it up to speed. I can guarantee that the Priuses that drive 15 mph over the speed limit or floor it when the light changes are not getting anything near the EPA estimates. Hybrids need and should be driven a bit differently if you want good mileage.

With all that said, the C-Max is the best car overall I have ever driven. Handling, engine/transmission combination, comfort, interior amenities and electronics are A1. My wife's Prius is absolutely rugged and gets better mileage but in every other aspect it lags quite a bit.

rfaunce you are so right about hybrids needing and should be driven a bit differently if you want good mileage.  Once I learned that fact and started driving 100% of the time right at the speed limit.  As well as pulling out from a stop slooooowly while building up speed to the posted speed, then setting the cruise control so it is easier after the next stop.  I try my best to keep the RPM's at or below 2000, by doing this I've seen a dramatic change to my numbers.  Also by braking to a stop well in advance gradually applying light pressure over a longer space before reaching a full stop.  Really increases my numbers and gives me back braking scores of 95-100% all the time.  Which also brings the numbers up by keeping the Li-On batteries near to full power.

Conclusion is if you aren't willing to do these things?  Then don't be surprised that your mileage sucks, because it will I guarantee it!.  I'm a believer since my numbers rarely went higher than 40 if I was lucky.  Today in my commute through using the techniques I've mentioned I watched my trip2 numbers go from 44.5 to as high as 59.8 in the course of one days driving in town in the 35-40mph range.  Freeway speeds set to 65 (the state maximum) I'm seeing a drop to a steady 44 range.  But get off the freeway and the numbers go back up.

I love this car, it is so smart and rewards me with better mileage and trips to the pump once every two weeks or more if I really hit my marks.

End of sermon...Enjoy the ride.

47 mpg is obtainable, but you have to work for it.  These are not regular cars polluting the crap out of the planet like the countless other drivers on the road.

Edited by mtb9153

Good write up rfaunce.  Glad you like your C-Max - we sure do too, and with our milder Winter, score a bit better in the MPG game.  I am sure you will be doing the 45 mpg you project when the temps get back to 40, 50 degrees.  45 - 50+ mpg is easy peasy for us when it gets above 50.

Wish we had some of your snow! Enjoy,

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

Good thread.  Thanks to all for the insight and personal experiances with the C-Max.

I have been researching a fair bit over the last month on what would be a good economical car for our 60 mile each way commute to work each day.  With the comfort, features, price and the advertised MPG's the C-Max fell perfectly into my cross hairs as the car for us to buy.

Then .... we went down to the dealership to test drive and the salesperson came back with the key and the car was DEAD !!  Yes dead.. on the new car lot !!.  Brand New  !! The alarms in my head went off and I could hardly get into my extremely reliable gas guzzling chevy pick up fast enought.  I patted it on the dash, and drove off.

When I got home I started googling and researching even more into the C-Max, investigating battery problems, and other issues.  After reading that so many owners have incurred this problem and also the questionable mileage rating.  Now I am not as convinced as I was that the C-Max is the right car for us.  There is so many forums and complaint threads where people have incurred 12V battery problems.  I can't imagine approaching my car and finding it dead !!  What if it was my wife that got stuck !! here in Houston in some areas you really just need to get in your car and get going, not stand around a brand new inoperable car  !! What about the inconvenience(s) suffered when we are always rushing around trying to meet our daily commitments and you find yourself stuck for three hours waiting for a jump start from road side assistance.

I could not find similar problems with the Prius V, so I am unfortunately going to have to take a look at it.  I understand it may not be as comfortable, nor have all the bells and whistles as the C-Max.  The big killer for me is it a foriegn car  .... ughhh !!   Just don't know of a comparible alternative to the C-Max other than the Prius V?  We want the MPG's of hybrid, don't want a Plug In, and want more space than the sub compact car market offers.  Anyone have any suggestions ?? 

I would imagine that any remaining battery issues have been resolved in the 2014 model.  You should check those out before reaching a decision.

I am just one person, but I have had my C-MAX since May 2013, and the only problem I have had in 7,500 miles is that I had to get a sensor changed in my Panoramic Roof cover; it would close but then bounce back to partially open.

My last tank yielded 63 MPG. 

Edited by ScubaDadMiami

I could not find similar problems with the Prius V, so I am unfortunately going to have to take a look at it.  I understand it may not be as comfortable, nor have all the bells and whistles as the C-Max.  The big killer for me is it a foriegn car  .... ughhh !!   Just don't know of a comparible alternative to the C-Max other than the Prius V?  We want the MPG's of hybrid, don't want a Plug In, and want more space than the sub compact car market offers.  Anyone have any suggestions ?? 

FYI, I test drove a new prius V in april and it had the same problem, wouldn't start, I drove it after they jumped it.

AH64, all car lots have cars with dead batteries.  Yes, you would think ........................... , but no, they all fall short of keeping all batteries up to full charge.  Yes, by all means test drive a Prius, and yes test drive a C-Max; in fact try to test drive them several times.  Be patient, research, drive, drive, drive, and buy what you want.  Don't fret over the battery.  I'm guessing that the 'battery issue' is at most a one percent (half a percent ?) sort of thing.  The C-Max is way too good a car to discount that quickly.  :)  My 2 cents.  Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

AH64 - if you & others feel turned off about a potential dead battery, imagine spending 3 times more on a Tesla S (look in the News Article section). As I posted before, I suspect there is a SILENT majority with no battery issues and a very vocal dead battery owners. I don't blame them, I would be LIVID if this happened to me again & again. Unfortunately, we have no stat here to say how many sold & how many have recurring dead batteries. So like any other car, there is ALWAYS a chance for a lemon - I had one and I spent WAY more money on a 2004 Jaguar XJ, that was in the shop 20+ times for the life but you know, I had no complaints because I had a big Jaguar dealer with great customer service - Galpin Motor Group here in Van Nuys, CA. We have since bought 3 other cars from them including my CMax & 2 other Jaguar XJs ( :flirt:  the cats...what can I say  ;) )

However, as I posted - you need to find a large & responsible Ford dealer - the Ford warranty & dealer will cover any dead battery issues. There are a lot of bad dealers out there based on what I am seeing too. 

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

It appears that there is more than one dead battery issue, most of which add up to things that were fixed or (rarely) even operator error where the lights were left on. The one that nobody can control is how long the car sits on the dealer lot before it is sold or even test driven. The C-Max has circuits that draw a small amout of current when the car is off. Over a long period of time without recharging, the battery can die. If left this way the battery is permanently damaged. It will take a charge, but never be right. I would bet money that this is the bulk of the battery issues occurring nowadays.

I have had my car for over a year and never had a problem with the battery, or anything else but the same recalls that everybody else had like the touch-free hatch. I am pretty sure that you will come to the same conclusion that nearly everyone else in this forum did once you have tested the Prius and the C-max a few times. The Prius is a great car, but the C-max is superior in many important ways. I think it is a better choice unless MPG is your only criterion. But more important, it is reliable for the vast majority of owners.

Drive them all and come to your own conclusions.

I confess, I had an operator error...but it wasn't my fault...its was the body repair shop. Dead batt...whoopsie...the test driver forgot to turn off the light. A quick charge, no big deal.

I am surprise how many posters would pick a Prii jus because solely on MPG...to me, thats like walking into Trader Joes and picking up a Charles Shaw 2 buck chuck and tweeting the world..."Woo wee...have I scored a GREAT value wine for $2. Drink that Mr.Grange!"

PS The Penfolds Grange is $200+ bottle, and worth every penny. I know which one I would pick, now which one do u think I will pick, Nick?

Oh...whats that latest Toyota recall....flamable heated seat, I guess Toyota went a wee cheap there ;)

ps its midnight and I had little sleep so my comparison may be off da planet, but then again - those who know me may say this is Par for me, lol....ssssh :confused:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

PS The Penfolds Grange is $200+ bottle, and worth every penny. I know which one I would pick, now which one do u think I will pick, Nick?

Oh...whats that latest Toyota recall....flamable heated seat, I guess Toyota went a wee cheap there ;)

Jus, I would go with the Argiano Non Confunditur 2011; its on sale today for $19.99. :) :) :)

(cheap, cheap, cheap) Nick here, but not Toyota cheap.  It's very crazy to me too, buying a car for just mpg's.

Half the cars on the Toyota lots today can not even be sold until they figure out what to do about the flammable seat stuffing or whatever it is! 

Edited by C-MaxSea

Hi - I want to again add my two cents to this issue. There are many things that can go wrong with a sophisticated car such as a C-Max, Fusion, Prius or any other hybrid or electric car.  I have 150,000 miles on two Ford and two Prius hybrids and so far have not had a problem worth taking to the dealer (except the infamous Prius floor mats) but I decided early on to not take any chances so I purchased extended factor warranties on each Ford and Prius.  For example, I just bought a Ford Premium extended warranty 6 years and 100,000 miles with a $200 deductible for about $800.  That was about the same I paid for one on both the Prius and the Fusion hybrid.  When I traded the Fusion in at 51,000 miles, I received a check for $285 for the unused warranty, which I will apply to the new one.  I could have just as easily transferred the warranty to the new owner if I sold it myself and probably recouped the original cost of the warranty because of its effect on the value of the car.  Now, maybe I am being overly cautious or you might think I am wasting money but that is a lot of peace of mind for a car technology I don't understand at all (I have a 65 Plymouth Barracuda in my garage and I feel quite comfortable under the hood). 

I saw some of the internet chat about potential problems with the C-Max.  Who knows if they are true or not but when I sat behind the wheel of the C-Max the first time, I said yikes, this is a very nice car!  I'll let Ford take care of any problems for the foreseeable future just as I a letting Toyota take care of the Prius should something happen to it.  I know Consumer Reports says nix to extended warranties but I don't agree for automobiles.

................. I sat behind the wheel of the C-Max the first time, I said yikes, this is a very nice car! 

Exactly my reaction as well  !!!   (We have an 8 yr Prem. EW & a 5 yr MPP)

Recently priced a MB GLK 250 Diesel and reached $52k trying to do a feature for feature comparison with our C-Max.  The Benz still came up short on features at $20k more than the C-Max.  (Yes, I know you wouldn't want to pull a 3500 lb boat over a mountain pass every day with the C-Max, just a fun exercise of feature comparison)

Nick

(PS  Should I post an Excel spreadsheet comparison?)

Edited by C-MaxSea

Hi - I want to again add my two cents to this issue. There are many things that can go wrong with a sophisticated car such as a C-Max, Fusion, Prius or any other hybrid or electric car.  I have 150,000 miles on two Ford and two Prius hybrids and so far have not had a problem worth taking to the dealer (except the infamous Prius floor mats) but I decided early on to not take any chances so I purchased extended factor warranties on each Ford and Prius.  For example, I just bought a Ford Premium extended warranty 6 years and 100,000 miles with a $200 deductible for about $800.  That was about the same I paid for one on both the Prius and the Fusion hybrid.  When I traded the Fusion in at 51,000 miles, I received a check for $285 for the unused warranty, which I will apply to the new one.  I could have just as easily transferred the warranty to the new owner if I sold it myself and probably recouped the original cost of the warranty because of its effect on the value of the car.  Now, maybe I am being overly cautious or you might think I am wasting money but that is a lot of peace of mind for a car technology I don't understand at all (I have a 65 Plymouth Barracuda in my garage and I feel quite comfortable under the hood). 

I saw some of the internet chat about potential problems with the C-Max.  Who knows if they are true or not but when I sat behind the wheel of the C-Max the first time, I said yikes, this is a very nice car!  I'll let Ford take care of any problems for the foreseeable future just as I a letting Toyota take care of the Prius should something happen to it.  I know Consumer Reports says nix to extended warranties but I don't agree for automobiles.

The lesson learnt from my experience with extended warranty, at least with Jaguars, is that they do not cover hoses. There is an "o-sh*t" hose, one next to the firewall...if that hose goes, its is very, very, very expensive to take apart and repair. We did not see that when we read the contract as another hose went and we paid full bills to for labor and repair of the hose while on the extended warranty. Jus my 2c...so check for this with the Ford.

• 2 weeks later...

OK... so a person comes and starts a thread bashing a car on a forum devoted to that car, and then never replies.  :swear:

I'm sitting over here happy with my C-Max Hybrid and our average is like 34.8 mpg. Does that seem low to anyone? Should I file a complaint? Swear off Fords and get a Japanese appliance? No. I think I'd rather get a C-Max Energi because my wife, who is driving the car, is only driving it a total of like 5 miles per day! That and true to her womanly ways, she won't turn off the climate control even when the temps are moderate outside. When it was cold, it was set to 85F- I doubt that it even got up to 65F before she got to work. I tried to reason, but whadda ya gonna do? When I drive it to the store- like 1/4mi away, I go the whole way on battery power as long as the engine is still warm. Her? Hell no, hammer down, we're merging. 

Why am I still happy (and married)? :sos:  Because the Windstar was getting between 13 and 15 mpg for the same travel routes. :gaah:  Maybe she'd get 36 in a Prius, but she doesn't like the Prius. My friends who have Prii are reporting similar fuel economy during the winter as my C-Max on similar trips, so whatever the troll thinks the troll accomplishes is lost on me. Trolls are just a distraction similar to a guy who told me that I should get a Prius because C-Max's have been known to catch on fire. 

Just got 50.4 MPG on my 21 mile commute from work to home today.  40F today.  The CMax is a great commuter car.  Just needs weather above freezing to get good mileage.

No hybrid is ever going to give any decent MPG in below zero, not even the mighty Prii...but they do guarantee to give you a warm butt with a flammable seat if it gets SO COLD you have to burn your seat ;)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax