Venting.....

Here is the email I sent tonight. I am losing my sense of humor over this. Please tell me if you think I am over reacting.....I appreciate all of your input.

Dear Mr. Mulally,

You can see that the original email was sent on May 13, 2013. It is now July 24, 2013. Please see the RED section of the original email below. My car has been at Briarwood Ford at least 3 times for this issue. I have taken it to the dealership with the car in this LOCKED state 4 times. Unfortunately it has always been late in the day when there were no engineers to evaluate the problem. At one time I left the car with the dealership for 11 days.  Unfortunately the temperatures did not cooperate, and it did not LOCK up.

On the next visit, Briarwood replaced the APIM and 2 days later SYNC locked up again. My husband and I took a 2 day road trip. We left in the early morning both going and returning and had no issues. However, 20 minutes after arriving at hour home after the return trip, SYNC was locked and stayed that way for 20 hours. Briarwood opened another case with engineering.

I sent daily emails to several individuals at Briarwood to document the problem. I didn't leave work every day at lunch, but when I did, SYNC didn't work. In all cases, it didn't work in the afternoons. In NO case it SYNC fail in the mornings...........only on HOT days..... after lunch or later.

I am part of a forum of C-MAX owners...and so far 3 other people (out of over 1,000) have reported the same problem. The most recent *seems* to have had it resolved by having the ACM replaced. I'm trying to find out more information on that.

My car has been back at the dealership since Monday. Temps in MI dropped on Tuesday, so there have been no issues. I don't know how long they plan to keep my car.

I want to go on record as saying that I love my car. I'm getting great gas mileage, and I love everything else about it...............EXCEPT THIS SYNC issue. I can't use my phone. I can't listen to the radio/cd/Sirius. The Sirius subscription I just renewed is worthless. The 911 emergency assist is worthless, because I can't SYNC my phone to the car.....

Please tell me what to try next.......

Did you send Mulally a first email or was the email referenced sent to someone else?  You're not overreacting by sending an email but IMO, the email is actually fairly benign.  Like fotomoto says you never want to be disrespectful to Ford or the dealer.  Here's my critique below.

I would be a lot more direct and succinct.  Nowhere do you voice your displeasure in a forceful manner. "Like, I expect Ford and the dealer to remedy this issue in a timely manner as Sync currently is not usable to me for it's intended purposes.  I am very dissatisfied with Ford with the lack of progress to date on my Sync issue.

If (or when) you send another one, I would enumerate in the email (like an attachment / appendix) a chronological events list with dates and time in the shop including when it worked when it didn't and so forth. Put as much detail in to get the points across so that one doesn't have to refer to other documents.

Also, next time I would demand action not ask what to try next and that should be in the opening paragraph not at the end.  Also, I wouldn't indicate "you love the car".  How can one "love the car", with such problems. Maybe "like" instead. If Ford fails to replace the ACM or the problem continues after replacement / dealers next stab at fixing, I would then demand that everything associated with Sync be replaced or buy back the car with credit given for your significant inconveniences and extra costs (for example Sirius).

I am pretty much in line with Plus 3 about some important points.

You must start from the proposition that the person seeing this is hearing about this for the very first time, and is in second grade.  You must spoon feed an incredibly clear rendition of why you  are trying to reach him/her, what has happened, and what you want him to do.  Merely referencing prior discussions or correspondence will be of no value if the recipient never bothered reading any of the things that you mention.  Attaching or forwarding things that the recipient have to dig through to figure things out will lower your chances for a favorable outcome.  Do not assume that the person seeing this knows you, remembers anything about you, or is in any way aware of your case, even if you just hung up from speaking with that person.

Start off by saying that you are writing in a desperate attempt to get someone to fix a car that has been to the dealership X times already for an issue that, besides ruining your excellent experience with the C-MAX, renders 911 Assist disabled (a safety concern), and that, on this current stay, your MAX has been sitting at the dealership for X number of days without a final diagnosis and correction.  Your dealership is trying to work with you, but you need someone from Ford to diagnose and correct this, once and for all.  You want the equivalent of the District Manager or whatever the Engineer equivalent may be to get directly involved, even if that means visiting the dealership.

Try to contact, after you send, to confirm delivery and to make a follow up date and time.  Try to get the dealer to help you out by letting them know that you want to do this, and sending a copy to them so that you can try to continue to work through them for at least the purpose of communication to the upper level contacts.  Keep the dealer on your team, and modify your strategy, if that will keep them on your side but get this done in a better or faster way.

Go get 'em!  :rtfm:

Edited by ScubaDadMiami

Momma always said, "You catch more flies with honey". Unfortunately, when I am in situations like you are in, I seem to use the vinegar most often. I really don't mean to, but it just comes out like that sometimes. That is why I prefer email communication with my dealer. I have been getting better at using the honey though.

Your tone seemed just fine. I would not be so kind, I fear.

I have a Subaru Outback with Nav that would lock up completely after backing into a parking spot and pulling forward. Numerous trips to the dealer resulted in the "can't reproduce" statement on my service tickets. My wife made a video documenting the issue that I posted on youtube, links were sent to the service manager and the video was made public. On my next dealer visit the problem was resolved.

Edited by darrelld

Sounds good to me.  You didn't go on a rant or get disrespectful which would have meant a quick delete and/or ignore if I were the recipient of this email.  You ended it with a request for help and a response (good).

GOOD LUCK!

Thanks Doug! I wanted to go with a factual approach, rather than go off on them. I'm not good at demanding.

Can't get dealer to replace ACM?

Zhack, one guy said *so I guess we're replacing the ACM.* another one said *No, engineering wants us to try XYZ first.* The problem with that approach is they have to wait until it locks up to try X, and if that doesn't fix it, wait again to try Y......rinse and repeat...With the temps we are having now....45 this morning with highs in the 70s, they could keep it another week and nothing will happen.

Did you send Mulally a first email or was the email referenced sent to someone else?  You're not overreacting by sending an email but IMO, the email is actually fairly benign.  Like fotomoto says you never want to be disrespectful to Ford or the dealer.  Here's my critique below.

I would be a lot more direct and succinct.  Nowhere do you voice your displeasure in a forceful manner. "Like, I expect Ford and the dealer to remedy this issue in a timely manner as Sync currently is not usable to me for it's intended purposes.  I am very dissatisfied with Ford with the lack of progress to date on my Sync issue.

Thanks for your comments Plus 3. Yes the original email was sent to Alan Mulally, and 2 days later a woman from his office called me and conferenced in the SM at my dealership. That's what got the ball rolling. She gave me her phone # and told me to call her, which I plan to do this morning.  I'm in the process of putting together a timeline of the events since the beginning.

I am pretty much in line with Plus 3 about some important points.

You must start from the proposition that the person seeing this is hearing about this for the very first time, and is in second grade.  You must spoon feed an incredibly clear rendition of why you  are trying to reach him/her, what has happened, and what you want him to do.  Merely referencing prior discussions or correspondence will be of no value if the recipient never bothered reading any of the things that you mention.  Attaching or forwarding things that the recipient have to dig through to figure things out will lower your chances for a favorable outcome.  Do not assume that the person seeing this knows you, remembers anything about you, or is in any way aware of your case, even if you just hung up from speaking with that person.

Go get 'em!  :rtfm:

Thanks SDM......it didn't occur to me that my letter wouldn't go to the same person. I knew Mulally would never see it, but I foolishly assumed it would make it to the desk of the same woman who called me after the first email. I will call her this morning and get her email address to send directly to her. If it becomes necessary to write again, I will follow yours and Plus 3's suggestions and lay it all out from the beginning, as tho talking to an 8 y/o. The timeline I'm putting together should help with that.

My problem is being forceful.....when I try I come off as wimpy. Jerry says I'm being much too nice to them. I guess it's my Southern upbringing taking the lead so far...

Not over reacting, I'll be p*ssed too. Should not happen to anyone....good luck with it Adair :rockon:

Thanks Jus!

Momma always said, "You catch more flies with honey". Unfortunately, when I am in situations like you are in, I seem to use the vinegar most often. I really don't mean to, but it just comes out like that sometimes. That is why I prefer email communication with my dealer. I have been getting better at using the honey though.

Your tone seemed just fine. I would not be so kind, I fear.

My momma told me the same thing. I was trying to be the *factual squeeky wheel* without whining. I do have a spine, when pushed too far, but I'm trying to resolve things before that side of my personality rears its head.

I have a Subaru Outback with Nav that would lock up completely after backing into a parking spot and pulling forward. Numerous trips to the dealer resulted in the "can't reproduce" statement on my service tickets. My wife made a video documenting the issue that I posted on youtube, links were sent to the service manager and the video was made public. On my next dealer visit the problem was resolved.

Darreld..........what a great idea!!! If I get my car back and this issue is unresolved, I will do exactly that! I love it!!!

Adair, when you talk to the woman from Ford and get her email address, I'd send the timeline to her while on the phone.  I don't know what she will say but if she tries to "push" this back to the dealer with another conference call or get you to feel compassionate for the work that the dealer / Ford has already done, be nice but say things like "I understand this issue may be a difficult one to diagnose,  I understand that Ford is committed to fix the issue, I understand that not many may have had the issue, I understand the dealer many not be able to reproduce the problem,  I understand "xxxxx" but the bottom line is the problem is still not fixed after a X visits to the dealer and my car is still at the dealer (I haven't been closely following this but I take it that your car is at the dealer now)."  

I would not be afraid to put the onus on Ford by asking for a drop dead date and what does Ford propose if that date is reached and the problem still exists?  I really don't think it is beyond reason to demand a replacement vehicle (say trade-in rather than buyback or lemon law) at virtually no cost to you (you have less than 10k miles and considerable inconvenience). Then, Ford engineers can take their time in studying, fixing the issue and still sell the car.

Also, have you checked into the lemon law in MI with an attorney yet?  From the MI statute it appears that a or b below triggers the lemon law:

(a)The same defect or condition that substantially impairs the use or value of the new motor vehicle to the consumer has been subject to repair a total of 4 or more times by the manufacturer or new motor vehicle dealer within 2 years of the date of the first attempt to repair the defect or condition, and the defect or condition continues to exist....

(b) The new motor vehicle is out of service because of repairs for a total of 30 or more days or parts of days during the term of the manufacturer's express warranty, or within 1 year from the date of delivery to the original consumer, whichever is earlier. ...

The operative word in (a) may be "substantially".  Does a malfunctioning Sync system substantially impair the use / value?

Wow, thanks Plus 3! I'm going to print this off and have it by the phone when she calls me back! I did call this morning and left a message. Haven't heard back yet.

Yes, the car is in the shop and has been since Monday. After the 20 hr lock up episode I sent daily emails for 2 weeks to 3 people at the dealership.....2 in service and my salesman. They finally called me last week and told me to take out the NAV card.....which I did, and did a master reset. The same afternoon, SYNC cailed again. On Monday they called and told me to bring it in that afternoon.......and there is sits.

I did read up on the Michigan Lemon Law yesterday but haven't contacted any attorneys. I would hope to resolve this without going to that expense......At this point the only way I would do a trade in would be to get exactly what I've got, minus the SYNC problem of course. I'm not going to downgrade

Now, back to work on my timeline...

Hey, thanks CeeMax71!! I forwarded it on to my 3 techs and salesman at Briarwood. I sorta remember reading about the fuse issue. I have not gotten those error messages tho....Screen looks just fine. You can even see the audio volume control going up.......just no sound from anything.

Maybe this will point them in another direction. I wish they would replace the ACM and be done with it. I want my car back!

In response to the email I sent last night, a woman from FoMoCo executive offices call me about 2:30 this afternoon. She wanted to know if I would be available to meet with the some engineers at my dealership next Tuesday at 2pm.  Apparently they had already talked to my SA and had seen some of the emails I sent him. After confirming that I could leave work for this, I asked her what was supposed to happen. She said, "Well, I think they want to run it to duplicate the problem. But from your emails, I don't think that's the right approach." Thankfully someone was reading! I said, NO, in 99% of the times this has happened, the car has been sitting from 4 to 8 hours in the parking lot at my office, baking in the sun. So we can only hope the temperatures cooperate next Tuesday.

Who want's to come with me???? j/k

I don't know why they don't just replace the ACM. Galpin had my car for 3 days trying to diagnose the issue and from my discussions with them, the gist was that they could not find why the issue was coming out but I had proof. In the end, they replaced the GPS module and guess what...its never been wrong since. I would push for that approach as its hot here in the valley...even your aliens would deport themselves from this state....100+ and my car bakes and guess what, not 1 single issue with the sync. I think Ford has a supply problem with bad components for the early CMaxs ala GPS module etc.

I'll come....in spirit...let me... :flyaway: in... :gold_star:

I don't know why they don't just replace the ACM. Galpin had my car for 3 days trying to diagnose the issue and from my discussions with them, the gist was that they could not find why the issue was coming out but I had proof. In the end, they replaced the GPS module and guess what...its never been wrong since. I would push for that approach as its hot here in the valley...even your aliens would deport themselves from this state....100+ and my car bakes and guess what, not 1 single issue with the sync. I think Ford has a supply problem with bad components for the early CMaxs ala GPS module etc.

I'll come....in spirit...let me... :flyaway: in... :gold_star:

Well, Galpin has shown themselves to be exceptional in lots of ways.....here's another one.

I know....you are in SoCal, others are in AZ and FL......none of you guys with this SYNC problem.

I know you will be there in spirit Jus, as will others from this family/forum. I'm so grateful for all of you.

In response to the email I sent last night, a woman from FoMoCo executive offices call me about 2:30 this afternoon. She wanted to know if I would be available to meet with the some engineers at my dealership next Tuesday at 2pm.  Apparently they had already talked to my SA and had seen some of the emails I sent him. After confirming that I could leave work for this, I asked her what was supposed to happen. She said, "Well, I think they want to run it to duplicate the problem. But from your emails, I don't think that's the right approach." Thankfully someone was reading! I said, NO, in 99% of the times this has happened, the car has been sitting from 4 to 8 hours in the parking lot at my office, baking in the sun. So we can only hope the temperatures cooperate next Tuesday.

Who want's to come with me???? j/k

Why not have an Engineer meet you "in the parking lot at my office"?