Should I get FE update

billygoat11

Currently getting 53.6 mpg with mainly in town driving. Live in Colorado Springs, lot of hills and driving at around 35 to 60 most of the time. Have only had car since May. I am very happy with the mileage currently. I would expect mileage to drop as it gets colder. Do you all think mileage will be helped then with update. Not too many people have commented on their mileage after update from what I have read. Thanks

I would absolutely get the update, yes.  

I got the update yesterday so I can't speak to what my mileage will be after the update but both of my trips since getting the update have returned better mileage then I expected.  The trip to my parents house is usually around 50-51 mpg and yesterday it was 53.7, the trip home is usually around 45 mpg and yesterday it was 48.2.  This could be a one off fluke or it could be that the new updates really help, none of us will know for sure until we get a couple of tanks under our belts which most likely no one has because the update was just released.  A lot of the dealers don't even know about the update yet, I had to convince my dealer that it was real and that it was only software and they didn't require any 'parts'.

Welcome to the forum.  Colorado Springs is one of my favorite places to visit.

The update would probably help you more this winter because of the cold weather improvements.

So far, I've seen improvements in MPG

The update will affect some cars more than others depending on driving habits, weather, and types of roads.

I used to live in the Springs, also lived in Denver. Spent 20 years in Colorado. We have every intention of moving back someday.

I would get the update. The way I see it, I trust Ford to build the car, I will trust them when they offer an update. That is one of the things I am really liking. How many cars have you had in the past that the manufacturer can(does) offer updates. I see it kinda like updating an app on my phone.

Yes!  You should get the update.

I've done quite a bit of pre- and post-update testing, and... both my highway AND city MPG improved by about 3 MPG after the update.  And since a lot of the update was focused on cold weather improvements, we haven't even seen the best of it yet.

There are a couple of annoyances you'll have to get used to (ex: it's more hesitant to drop into EV mode while still warming, high ICE mode is harder to achieve, and it won't shut off at a stoplight if the ICE is still in its initial warmup period), but those are balanced out by all the other improvements.

Currently getting 53.6 mpg with mainly in town driving. Live in Colorado Springs, lot of hills and driving at around 35 to 60 most of the time. Have only had car since May. I am very happy with the mileage currently. I would expect mileage to drop as it gets colder. Do you all think mileage will be helped then with update. Not too many people have commented on their mileage after update from what I have read. Thanks

Since you bought it in May and you currently get that kind of mpg.  I think I would wait until you get a letter from Ford asking you to bring it in for the upgrades.  My letter came the same day I I took it in.  I was in a hurry to get the upgrade so I made an appointment on my own.  What is your build date?  I'm wondering if you might already have it if it was a late build?  I've never been able to maintain numbers in the 50's.  Only until lately with much effort on my driving style and placement of GasPods on the roof line for better aerodynamics.  I'm able to stay in the lower to mid 40's.  Before I was always slipping into the high 30's.  So far after the update I'm seeing good results, but I really haven't had a chance to drive much, been less than 24 hours since it was installed.

Edited by mtb9153

The build date was January. Actually once I sort of learned how to drive the car, my wife drives it the most we are around 54 mpg and ofter higher. Notice going up in elevation mpg is often high 30's to 44 or so. Down elevation often over 80 mpg. These are mainly 12-15 mile trips. I am surprised the mileage has been so good. Seems we are able to drive in EV mode more than I would have guessed. Really like the car so far, not just the mileage. It will be interesting how much mileage hit we will take during our cold winters.

goat, you haven't been reading the correct forums if you haven't read much about the users mpg numbers after they had it updated. in fact there are alot of good info there in two different forms. yes the update will help alot once the cold comes around so even if you lose a little mpg in warm weather, the cold weather mpg increase will significantly offset any loss since usually the winter drop is worse.

currently getting 53.6 mpg with mainly in town driving. Live in Colorado Springs, lot of hills and driving at around 35 to 60 most of the time. Have only had car since May. I am very happy with the mileage currently. I would expect mileage to drop as it gets colder. Do you all think mileage will be helped then with update. Not too many people have commented on their mileage after update from what I have read. Thanks

Edited by salsaguy

I've had all the updates.  I can only say positive things about the FE update.  52 MPG driving to work and 48 MPG coming home today.  Drive is mix of stop and go and freeway (70 MPH).  I was driving in EV at 70+.  

The one thing I've wondered about is Negative Split Mode.  This is when the battery is fully charged and the electric charging motor helps the ICE reduce RPMs when traveling at high speeds.  This mode was effective when driving above 63 MPG previous to the FE update. Now that EV can happen up to 85 MPH I don't ever see this mode kicking in - at least not for me.  The question is does alternating between Positive Split Mode and Electric mode at high speeds provide better gas mileage than getting into Negative Split Mode.  So far I would say yes.

billy goat, a lot of folks ARE reporting all good numbers, from +2 to +5 mpg more after the update.

your not reading the right forum to see all the posts about it.
all signs show YES get it ASAP.

see these three for a start. if these don't convince you to do it then nothing will:

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2650-recall-13b07-the-guinea-pig-thread/?hl=update.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2536-ford-to-offer-free-updates-to-boost-hybrid-vehicle-efficiency/?hl=update&st=NaN.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2681-recall-13b07-real-world-highway-test/?hl=update&do=findComment&comment=29096

Edited by salsaguy

• 2 weeks later...

From what I am seeing from the post I think I will wait on the update. The results seemed mixed. People driving more highway seem to be helped others not. I am currently getting 53.5 mpg mainly in town and am afraid to mess up car since its doing well now. I will keep my eye on this forum as I may well change my mind when it gets colder. Hopefully a lot more people will post their results. My guess if there was improvement more people would have posted. I have to say I am surprised how many people have posted negative results.  Would appreciate any advice or thoughts from any of you.

thanks

From what I am seeing from the post I think I will wait on the update. The results seemed mixed. People driving more highway seem to be helped others not. I am currently getting 53.5 mpg mainly in town and am afraid to mess up car since its doing well now. I will keep my eye on this forum as I may well change my mind when it gets colder. Hopefully a lot more people will post their results. My guess if there was improvement more people would have posted. I have to say I am surprised how many people have posted negative results.  Would appreciate any advice or thoughts from any of you.

thanks

Have you looked at the new EPA Revised FE Statement of the C-Max before and after the PCM update?  City FE rating is 3 mpg higher post update. Highway pre and post update are the same.

Also, IIRC the free update is for one year.  Ford could charge for the update after one year or simply not offer it.   I'd say since you'll experience cold weather living in CO, I'd get it as cold weather operation has been improved with the update.

I have to say I am surprised how many people have posted negative results. Would appreciate any advice or thoughts from any of you.

thanks

Where are the negative results you mention? Links?

There are no downsides from what I've seen. I'm easily averaging more mpg after the update, in the same city.