Should I get FE update

billygoat11

I'm with Jmonty on this.  I have my update scheduled for next Tuesday.  I am reading the same threads that you must be reading.  Other than some trouble performing the updates, once they are done properly, the results seem to be either no difference or positive, but not negative. 

I am not expecting much change in my city driving FE--where I get just shy of 50 MPG using 100 percent air conditioning--but I hope to get every MPG on the highway that is possible.  If that turns out to be in the real world zone nearing 48 MPG for a speed of about 70 MPH, about my only remaining complaint about the C-MAX would be that terrible dead pedal--oh, and the required leather.  Even 46 highway would do the job.

(Note to self:  Look at yourself now, complaining about such great FE, when your original goal was to get anything at least equal to 40 MPG! :nonono:  )

Edited by ScubaDadMiami

Thanks, i think you guys maybe convinced me. I had just seen quite a few negative post on this forum. I am just very happy with the car now, so that caused me to be a bit hesitant. I do suspect mileage will decrease quite a bit when it gets cold as it is now. Thanks for all of your opinions. Just want to make right decision.

I too am wondering if it's a good idea. One comment on here suggests the updates hose performance; others say it does "at first" but then recovers -- but I suspect that recovery is actually the owners adjusting to the new reduced performance. I bought the car because it was a hot hatch that happened to be a hybrid. Any % decrease in power, responsiveness, acceleration etc. AT ALL is not an acceptable trade for me to get 1-3 more MPG. Not stoked on giving up A/C performance either.

actually our hybrid/cmax guru Jus who was getting crazy high mpgs said he didn't like it and it did make it worse for him as we had suspected it would since they made the change to help the mass market who complained and sued and were getting 35-38 mpgs, not for those here who were learned how to drive the cmax best to optimize its features. seems the secret recipe to high mpg did get messed up now after the update for those in the know. Will take a re-learning to get it back, if ever, for those who could get 50mpgs on a regular basis.

I bought the car because it was a hot hatch that happened to be a hybrid. Any % decrease in power, responsiveness, acceleration etc. AT ALL is not an acceptable trade for me to get 1-3 more MPG. Not stoked on giving up A/C performance either.

I wouldn't go that far but I did buy it because I liked the way it drove and it was the right size, not because I wanted a hybrid.

The focus st has a lot more power but I didn't care for the view from the interior.

actually our hybrid/cmax guru Jus who was getting crazy high mpgs said he didn't like it and it did make it worse for him as we had suspected it would since they made the change to help the mass market who complained and sued and were getting 35-38 mpgs, not for those here who were learned how to drive the cmax best to optimize its features. seems the secret recipe to high mpg did get messed up now after the update for those in the know. Will take a re-learning to get it back, if ever, for those who could get 50mpgs on a regular basis.

oh, that's too bad.  

My guess is that those that practiced P&G and used "high ICE" will find it more difficult to realize their increased FE benefits at higher speeds as often and thus may see no change in their FE or a slight drop in higher speed FE with the PCM update.  Those that set the eco-cruise at 65+ mph and let the PCM control the powertrain may now see slightly better FE as there should be more opportunity to optimize higher speed FE with the increased use of EV assist and full EV operation.  I agree with salsaguy in that it's likely possible for the driver to "relearn" how to again employ hypermiling techniques at higher speeds but there's likely less benefit to be gained given the PCM update.  

As far as the lawsuits, had Ford initially published the "appropriate" FE numbers based on the C-Max and not the Fusion Hybrid, my guess is the lawsuits would not have merit and likely not have been filed.  The EPA tests showed pre PCM update that the revised C-Max FE numbers would be 41/42/40 - combined, city, highway.  That's a huge difference from 47/47/47.  CR got 37 mpg overall in their 150 mile test (that's only 9.8% less than the 41 but 21.3 % less than the 47).  CR highway FE was 38 mpg - now only 5% less than the C-Max revised highway rating of 40 not 19.1% lower than the 47. After the PCM update, the C-Max revised FE numbers are 43/45/40.  The fact that the masses and reviewers weren't / couldn't get anywhere near the 47 numbers warranted questions and lawsuits.  The EPA FE numbers are supposedly based on how the "masses" drive not hypermilers nor how reviewers may drive.  

I am no hypermiler. I'm no race car driver either. I drive with one goal. Safety. I drive the speed limit +/- 5mph. If traffic dictates, I will go 10(or even more)mph over, only to get to a point where I can get over to the slower lane. The speed limit on the interstate for these results is 60mph. I do about 65ish, hitting 70 if needed. CC off. Two of these drives are during rush hour, one AM(which was really bad for El Paso, stop&go on I-10). One is PM heavy, steady flow of traffic. The other is around 1:00pm today.

Car built on 7/19/13 with the FE improvements done at factory.

zmpg 8 28 13 from work

zmpg 8 28 13 To work

zmpg 8 27 13 from work

p.s. On each end of the interstate run is a 2-3 miles city drive to destination.
Edited by slampro

Well, I am sure you who read this are tired of my wishy washynous in regards to the update. After reading many post I have decide to wait and see how my car does once it gets cold. It still seems results are at best mixed. I appears those that were not getting good mileage to begin with are doing better. However, those that do a lot of city driving and drive the car paying attention to empower, etc. are doing quite a bit worse. Its too bad, I was hoping this update would help all, but right now that doesnt seem to be the case. My dealer said they have had no trouble doing the updates but said I didn't have to update and could wait a bit. Originally many people reported positive results, but lately all I m seeing is negative results. I will keep reading. Thanks to all who post.

I used to live in the Springs, also lived in Denver. Spent 20 years in Colorado. We have every intention of moving back someday.

I would get the update. The way I see it, I trust Ford to build the car, I will trust them when they offer an update. That is one of the things I am really liking. How many cars have you had in the past that the manufacturer can(does) offer updates. I see it kinda like updating an app on my phone.

Is Ford offering the update to improve engineering or to fight the lawsuits?  I'm getting good mpg now and plan to wait to see what the downside is -- if any.

I personally believe they are improving engineering.

If Ford was not interested, why would they spend thousand of dollars to host the meet & greet POW-WOW in Irvine, SoCal back in February. They brought in like 50+ engineers all the way from Detroit and for every CMax owner that showed up, got $200 kicked in. They learnt a lot and I agree...seeing all these updates for the one-ninja-kick liftgate, MFT updates and the PCM updates...its been sensational. I have never heard of any other car company doing this....

PS Toyota had the Prius out for 10+ years now. They are still STUCK at 45mph EV max...how many updates have they got from Toyota Motor Company - aside from the recalls?!?!?! Huh.. ;)

i think you won't have a choice and it will be a mandatory update that you can't opt out of so you will get it done sooner than later. we don't know  the details of the lawsuits and/or agreements with the EPA but it seems Ford was forced to do a lot. the update just may be a key of that song with the refund back to the consumers.

Is Ford offering the update to improve engineering or to fight the lawsuits?  I'm getting good mpg now and plan to wait to see what the downside is -- if any.

We just got our C-Max back from the body shop - at 1,500 miles, the wife drove it into a concrete wall while parking - ~$8,500 damage...yeah - bummer.  We took it back to the dealer for the body work, and while it was there asked them to apply any applicable recalls.  I think there were three - the head protection one, the auto rear liftgate one, and the FE one.  It would appear that they did all three.  My impression after only 3 days is that the FE has improved, especially on the highway...with mostly highway driving, the FE readout is at ~ 50 MPG...used to be ~45 MPG.  Also, the car seems peppier on the highway...I'm having a hard time keeping it under 70 MPH!  These are not scientific double blind test results...just my informal impressions and personal experiences.

Rocco, hate to ask but did she accidentally think the car was off when it was in fact on and thats why she crashed, due to the hybrid effect? (silent when in EV mode). sorry to hear about the huge repair bill. how she didn't get hurt. glad the cmax protected her. did the airbag go off? most likely crumple zone damage which is usually severe and expensive but life saving when you need it.

Edited by salsaguy

Rocco, hate to ask but did she accidentally think the car was off when it was in fact on and thats why she crashed, due to the hybrid effect? (silent when in EV mode). sorry to hear about the huge repair bill. how she didn't get hurt. glad the cmax protected her. did the airbag go off? most likely crumple zone damage which is usually severe and expensive but life saving when you need it.

I hate to speak for someone else but forgetting the car is on could only be an issue if you also a) forgot to put it in park and b) forgot the parking brake. And I'd have a hard time believing the fake torque-converter creep could cause $9000 in damages.