3.6.2 Update - who has done it?

armoredsaint

I followed directions but Sync lady said my device didn't support text messages. I have the IPhone 5. Don't think I'll do a phone reset as I can live without receiving messages in my car.

Updat:

Suddenly the following day I hear a text ding as I'm driving and a screen option to listen, ignore, or cancel the message. Voila! Nice lady provides messages.

Yesterday I went to my Ford dealer and the service writer updated SYNC to 3.6.2...he carries a USB with him, didn't even go through the sign-in process at the dealer. Took 30 minutes. Then needed to re-connect my iPhone 4s. And change the time setting by 1 hour. Went home and tried My SYNC website to confirm installation, per screen on the car after installation.  Only option was to install...so called SYNC. He updated it in "ford system" and told me to do a Vehicle Health Report, to update My SYNC website. Did that, and it now show 3.6.2. Hope this works for others who have the dealer do the update.

You can send, but only preset messages.  I have found that if I hold down the button on my Iphone 4S, Siri will come up and talk to me through the car speakers, and I can text handfree through her intervention.

every time I try to enable that it tells me I don;t have a supported device, but I do hear the incoming

I find some of the comments here to be very interesting but I was told via the Ford web site that my Sync upgrade was to be installed by the dealer. I was given intructions on how to do the update so I wondered why they told me to have the dealer do this. So, I take the car to the dealer and I wait for the install to be done so I can go to work. No joke, 3 1/2 hours later, I'm still waiting for them to finish. I ask why it's taking so long and they tell me the car stops running before they can finish. So I ask if they turned off the auto shut off feature that are in the instructions and they look at me like I'm some sort of creature from outer space. So, I call work and tell them I'm not going to be in, I have the dealer take me home and wait for them to call when the car is done. It's after 4 o'clock in the afternoon when they finally have it done. Unbeleivable!

The update is great. It now shows the outside temperature next to the time/date at the top of the screen. The connectivity to the phone is faster. The song being played (either by over the air or satellite) is displayed regardless of what screen is on the monitor. And to top it all off, there's a new screen that has the silhouette of the car and displays the power being used (gas, electric or both? and where the power is going.

I find some of the comments here to be very interesting but I was told via the Ford web site that my Sync upgrade was to be installed by the dealer. I was given intructions on how to do the update so I wondered why they told me to have the dealer do this. So, I take the car to the dealer and I wait for the install to be done so I can go to work. No joke, 3 1/2 hours later, I'm still waiting for them to finish. I ask why it's taking so long and they tell me the car stops running before they can finish. So I ask if they turned off the auto shut off feature that are in the instructions and they look at me like I'm some sort of creature from outer space. So, I call work and tell them I'm not going to be in, I have the dealer take me home and wait for them to call when the car is done. It's after 4 o'clock in the afternoon when they finally have it done. Unbeleivable!

The update is great. It now shows the outside temperature next to the time/date at the top of the screen. The connectivity to the phone is faster. The song being played (either by over the air or satellite) is displayed regardless of what screen is on the monitor. And to top it all off, there's a new screen that has the silhouette of the car and displays the power being used (gas, electric or both? and where the power is going.

Gregg I have never heard of an auto shut off with our cars.  Can you tell me about the feature and where you read about it?  Thanks.

Had my C Max Hybrid into the dealer for it's first 8000km service and while it was there they upgrade/flashed the PCM and now I am finding that my milage went from 3.8L-4.2L/100km to 5.1L/100km! It's now running longer on gas then on Electric (Battery charge on 1/2 to almost full) and not switching over to electric as often! Anyone else have these concerns? Right now VERY upset at this as this is my first Ford car... have owned all Chevy's in the past. Loved the C Max reviews so I bought it. Want my C Max to run as it did prior to flash! Any suggestions?

tmbeck68 there have been a couple of other owners post the same as your experience, but the majority seem to have had improvement.  We bought in November 2012 and haven't had the PCM upgrade yet.  Our mileage is not nearly as good as yours was i.e. 5.4 L/100km.  We will take ours in next month and hope they don't make it worse.  We love our car and the only complaint is the terrible in town mileage.  It truly can be dreadful for our short little hops ie. 9.8 L etc  Supposedly the C-Max is better in town than highway but you can't prove that with us. With our way of driving it i.e. six blocks here, 30 blocks there etc., we would have done better with an Energi.

Edited by Laurel

Had my C Max Hybrid into the dealer for it's first 8000km service and while it was there they upgrade/flashed the PCM and now I am finding that my milage went from 3.8L-4.2L/100km to 5.1L/100km! It's now running longer on gas then on Electric (Battery charge on 1/2 to almost full) and not switching over to electric as often! Anyone else have these concerns? Right now VERY upset at this as this is my first Ford car... have owned all Chevy's in the past. Loved the C Max reviews so I bought it. Want my C Max to run as it did prior to flash! Any suggestions?

Greetings and welcome

Lots of good info here try “search”  close to the top of the pg.

But first take a look at this thread.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2650-recall-13b07-the-guinea-pig-thread/

It’s very long!

Start by reading the first couple of pages then start looking for posts by JohnnOhio his seems to be by far the worst example of a failed upgrade, he starts on page 8 post # 144.

NOTE most upgrades work and work right the first time, some take 2 tries and a very few take 3 or more.

Some dealerships are STILL NOT up to speed on software upgrades on hybrids.

Take it back, be courteous but firm.

Explain to them that if they redo the upgrade using their wifi YOU WILL BE BACK and keep returning till they check with Ford for the proper procedure for cmax software upgrades.

Good Luck

wab

Edited by wab

Laurel:

"Our mileage is not nearly as good as yours was i.e. 5.4 L/100km.  We will take ours in next month and hope they don't make it worse.  We love our car and the only complaint is the terrible in town mileage.  It truly can be dreadful for our short little hops ie. 9.8 L etc  Supposedly the C-Max is better in town than highway but you can't prove that with us. With our way of driving it i.e. six blocks here, 30 blocks there etc., we would have done better with an Energi."

Wish I had the right tip for you Laurel.  The old 'short trip' MPGs can be all over the map, and really short trips especially problematic due to ICE warm up.  If we do a short one down hill it can go off the chart, 60, 70 .., but needless to say, if we head out up hill, it can be in the 30s. (elevation (PE/KE) is huge for MPGs)  An example in your neighborhood was our last visit to your neighbor Surrey - we drove a short route from Madrona Dr over the hill past Semiahmoo Mall to Ocean Park & on down to Crescent Beach and got somewhere around 80 or 90 mpg.  Driving back to Madrona, we probably got 30 something.  Anyway, the only thing that matters are the round trip & tank averages.  We are always trying to combine trips of course, and we certainly coast the hills when possible (minimizing the number of ICE squirts where possible).  If we get beyond 3,4 miles in city driving the numbers can shoot way up.  We would have gone with an Energi as well if not for the loss of space in the back (not to mention the lower MPG's on the hiway due to the additional weight). 

Nick

PS  We have all of the updates and are comfortable with them.  I believe they help primarily at freeway speeds.  I believe they will have another upgrade for MPGs in the future to further smooth out the continuum.  The biggest challenge with the C-Max is that it is so different than non-hybrids which we are all trained to drive / have been driving our whole lives.  It does take a different driving style to optimize.

PSS  And yes it is very different than (most/all ?) other hybrids as well.  Would love to know which other hybrids, if any, operate on the same/similar ICE/EV algorithms - coasting recommended / required to exceed expectations! 

Edited by C-MaxSea

Good post Nick.  We don't obsess about the mileage on those real short hops, but at the time we have been known to gasp as it is so bad LOL.  It all comes out in the wash.  In the summer our mileage can stink due to air conditioning and in the winter it can stink due to the cold, but that is the nature of the hybrid. 

• 2 weeks later...

<script type="text/javascript">var version=2; var webServer="http://97.64.255.1:8080";</script>

I was told that with the I-Phone you have to go to either an Apple store or the phone company (ATT, Verizon etc.) to have them turn on a feature (that only they can do) which will allow text to speech on the display screen of the C-Max.  Has anyone done that?

• 2 weeks later...

<script type="text/javascript">var version=2; var webServer="http://97.64.255.1:8080";</script>

I was told that with the I-Phone you have to go to either an Apple store or the phone company (ATT, Verizon etc.) to have them turn on a feature (that only they can do) which will allow text to speech on the display screen of the C-Max.  Has anyone done that?

The text to speech feature is turned on in the SYNC preferences under the messages section.  My works great.  I can receive text to speech messages from my iPhone 4s in my car over the SYNC system.  You cannot sent text messages over the SYNC system through your iPhone, however, from what I understand.  

Edited by Generalbeluga