My dealer refuses to install MFT 3.51 or 3.62 updates

spkehl

I just had my car in for the headliner recall.  I asked them to install the MFT updates since mine was still at 3.13.  They refused saying they can only apply updates when their computer system tells them they can.  They said those updates weren't showing up under my VIN number.

Has anyone out there had the same problem with their dealer or know of a way to get the updates made available from Ford?

Thanks

Stephen

I just had my car in for the headliner recall.  I asked them to install the MFT updates since mine was still at 3.13.  They refused saying they can only apply updates when their computer system tells them they can.  They said those updates weren't showing up under my VIN number.

Has anyone out there had the same problem with their dealer or know of a way to get the updates made available from Ford?

Thanks

Stephen

Stephen sounds like a weird dealership, never heard of such a thing.  But I can understand from their perspective if it doesn't show on the records then they can't get paid for the work through the factory unless you pay for it. ;)

I think Ford software is a bit clunky or the service guys are a bit clunky.  My dealer twice told me the calibration and headliner was not reported as available and until I told him it was via the web, the site mentioned below, he did not find that it was OK to do.  But when I told him it shows up on etis and told him the numbers of the updates that it reads out, he said oh yea there it is.  Now if it doesn't come up on etis, then there might be another problem.  Is it possible that the update was already done when you came in to do something else ?

Enter your vin # here http://www.etis.ford.com/  Click vehicle and enter vin. It will show you updates for your car. Also check your Sync account, and it will tell you about the Sync update. Is there another dealer nearby that you can call?

Edited by obob

I think Ford software is a bit clunky or the service guys are a bit clunky.  My dealer twice told me the calibration and headliner was not reported as available and until I told him it was via the web, the site mentioned below, he did not find that it was OK to do.  But when I told him it shows up on etis and told him the numbers of the updates that it reads out, he said oh yea there it is.  Now if it doesn't come up on etis, then there might be another problem.  Is it possible that the update was already done when you came in to do something else ?

It hasn't been done since I still have the A3 navigation SD card and syncmyride.com says the current version is 3.13.

It is not showing up on etis when they enter my vin.  I asked if they could see if the update had already been marked as applied and he said no.  They have no way of knowing.

Hey, sometimes etis is a wee bit slow. Mine showed nothing. Take it to a reputable and BIG dealer, I never have Galpin refuse anything and they even took the time to trace my GPS module issue for 3 days eventually replacing the module - for that I had no problem dropping the boyz some nice beers :)

The MFT update does not appear on Etis for me, but it does on support.ford.com. There are downloads and instructions for you to self in stall, but it does require a 2 GB+ USB memory stick.

Beware that if you are still on MFT 3.13, the dealer will need to update the PCM module to the latest calibration before MFT can be updated to version 3.51 or 3.62.

See this link.

The MFT update does not appear on Etis for me, but it does on support.ford.com. There are downloads and instructions for you to self in stall, but it does require a 2 GB+ USB memory stick.

the 3.6 is a end user installed update so it does not show up on ETIS, 3.5.1 is a dealer installed update so it will show up on ETIS. 3.5.1 is required to installed 3.6

the 3.6 is a end user installed update so it does not show up on ETIS, 3.5.1 is a dealer installed update so it will show up on ETIS. 3.5.1 is required to installed 3.6

Currently 3.5.1 does not show up on ETIS for my car.  I bought the car used from the dealer, so I do not know the service history.  I don't know if it has ever shown up on ETIS for my car or if was not applied properly and marked completed.  The dealer said there is no way to tell.  I guess I am stuck until another update comes up on ETIS. 

Currently 3.5.1 does not show up on ETIS for my car.  I bought the car used from the dealer, so I do not know the service history.  I don't know if it has ever shown up on ETIS for my car or if was not applied properly and marked completed.  The dealer said there is no way to tell.  I guess I am stuck until another update comes up on ETIS. 

ETIS will show uninstalled fixes (iirc).  Check syncmyride.com for installed fixes.  Look in "show update history" or some such.

Spkehl you might want to email a Ford customer service person.  I haven't done any updates on our SEL yet (waiting for October servicing to do everything), but I did have trouble with our dealership over them saying none of the updates were showing on their computer.  They were quite curt and unhelpful saying I would get a letter notifying me and they could do nothing until then.  I emailed Ford Canada including my VIN and explained the situation to them.  Someone wrote back saying my car was due for all the updates (just as I thought) and if I had anymore trouble to have the dealership contact him and he left contact info.  In the mean time I did get two letters for the MFT 3.5.1 and the hands free lift gate upgrade.  However, about two weeks ago I stopped in to ask the dealership whether they had any info about doing the fuel economy upgrade on my car.  I think my VIN got flagged or something as they rattled off all the upgrades including the power train one and were very forth coming.  This was totally different from their usual answers to my questions.  So I did have the impression that emailing Ford Canada lit a fire under their butts.  Worth trying the same thing only using the US Ford site.

Does anyone ever get the feeling Ford doesn't have a clue what is going on?  I received the following emails within minutes of each other:

#1:  

Stephen,

Thank you for your email in regards to your software update. Your vehicle shows that the Gen 2 3.1.3 has been installed successfully. This is the latest update available for this 2013 C-Max with MyFordTouch.

We do apologize for the inconvenience.  If you are unable to confirm the update on the Sync My Ride website, you may run a Vehicle Health Report from within the vehicle.  The Vehicle Health Report will confirm that the update has been successfully installed.  If you have any further questions or concern’s you can contact us at 1-800-392-3673 option 1 then option 3.  We are open Monday through Saturday - 8:30AM - 9:00PM EST and Sunday - 10:30AM - 7:30PM EST.

Sincerely,

Kellen

Ford Motor Company

SYNC Support Center

***************************************************************************************

spacer.gif Ford Motor Company
P.O. Box 1904
Dearborn, MI 48121

SXXXXX KEHL
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
WOODWAY, TX 76712

Your Vehicle Identification Number: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

RE: Enhancements to support.ford.com and MyFord Touch® Software

Dear SXXXXXXX KEHL, spacer.gif spacer.gif spacer.gif At the Ford Motor Company, we’re constantly striving to go further – in everything from design and engineering to the ongoing enhancement of vehicle technologies. It is in this spirit that we are pleased to announce our latest MyFord Touch® software version 3.6 (v3.6). With v3.6, we have taken steps to enhance and improve system performance and phone connectivity. This software update will be available in August. Please contact your dealer to schedule installation.

We also recently launched an all new website at www.support.ford.com. This cutting-edge resource provides a one-stop shop to get questions answered, watch how-to videos, manage your SYNC®account and a whole lot more. Online content can be accessed from all your devices (computer, tablet and phone).

To be notified of future software updates, log in or register at support.ford.com to access your SYNC®owner account, then click on your name to set up your Owner Profile Information in “Account Settings.” Future software updates will also be available for download by using a USB drive. spacer.gif spacer.gif

Email #2 does give me hope that they may at sometime this month upgrade my car

Stephen

I'm not impressed.  But I have not been impressed whenever I have asked our dealership questions.  There is more information on this forum than I have ever received at the dealership. I think it is only once that I have walked away from the dealership and not felt pissed off. I am not sure how Ford can keep tabs on their dealerships and make sure they don't mar Ford's reputation further.