AvMPG stabilized

mtb9153

Wanted to share that I think I have finally got my fuel management under control. This past week I have been no lower than 43.2 and as high as 43.5 on the freeway. Strangely enough my freeway driving is giving me higher numbers. I credit this to my better driving and braking and my GasPods. I'm seeing a steady upswing of the last tank but stable numbers I feel are because of the GasPods.

Once you get a good baseline with the gaspods, you should take them off and see if your MPGs change.

I'll take it into advisement, I'm not sure if I want to do that since it will mean measuring the spacing and equal placement of all 9 GasPods across the full width of the rear spoiler and 2 inches from the trailing edge of the spoiler.  But thanks for your comment bigalpha

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say that I am starting to think there is something wrong with my Maxus.  I repeatedly see from most of you that you are cruising around recording mpg in the 50's, 60's and even higher.  No matter how conservatively I drive and do everything right I can't get out of the low to mid 40's in everyday driving.  On the other hand I started this week at 40AvMPG and today I crossed into the 44AvMPG range but quickly fell back to 43.6  It is becoming so frustrating to not be able to improve and get consist reading in the 50's or higher.

I have to say that I am starting to think there is something wrong with my Maxus.  I repeatedly see from most of you that you are cruising around recording mpg in the 50's, 60's and even higher.  No matter how conservatively I drive and do everything right I can't get out of the low to mid 40's in everyday driving.  On the other hand I started this week at 40AvMPG and today I crossed into the 44AvMPG range but quickly fell back to 43.6  It is becoming so frustrating to not be able to improve and get consist reading in the 50's or higher.

mtb, I think your numbers are looking good.  Keep in mind that often we folks here report our 50+ MPG triumphs more often than our ho hum 38s.  What matters are the averages, and if you are pushing 43 or 44, that is very good and reasonable.  Nick

I think it's partly a matter of calibrating expectations. First, I'll say I have not yet gotten the powertrain update.

On my daily commute, I spend most of my time on a 45MPH-limited road, but which includes a dip into a 400-foot deep valley (with one direction including an uphill freeway onramp), and I usually get lower-middle 40s (42-46MPG). Most of my driving around town happens at 35-45MPH as well, and that's where I get considerably better - 50MPG. On the freeway I have found that the rolling hills around here make it hard to stay in negative-split mode so I gave up on that and get 40MPG. My best fuel economy comes if I leave work early and get stuck in traffic - creeping along at a steady, slow pace, I've gotten some 60MPG trips, but that's incredibly rare. 

Between all that, my lifetime average is 42.7 (a little lower than my Fuelly average because it includes an extra tank). 

Those who are getting spectacular milage have gone to great lengths to change how they drive - but that doesn't mean just "accelerate slow, drive slow". It means driving different routes where you know the road conditions allow you to adapt your driving technique to the vehicle's strengths. It means figuring out when to accelerate slower to stay in EV mode, and other times when you want to hit the gas to save battery. 

If you want to hypermile, some of the people here have pointed out some fantastic techniques to do so. You might consider describing in detail your driving techniques and get some feedback.

But that involves a lot of effort. Frankly, I don't think it's worth it most of the time. Getting in the 40s is pretty darn good already. On my previous car (a small sedan), I was averaging 25MPG, so I'm already using 42% less fuel.

Speaking of calibrating improvements: I think part of the problem of people being disappointed with their fuel economy is that most people did not track their mileage in a detailed way on their previous car. So they are often comparing the CMax's real economy with the highway number from their previous car (forgetting that regular cars do much worse in city driving than on the highway). 

It's also important to remember that in terms of fuel cost savings, 55MPG vs 45MPG is an 18% savings, but it's a 18% savings over an already much smaller fuel bill. It works out to a difference of 2 cents per mile. Compared to the other costs of driving (depreciation, maintenance, insurance), that's negligible. 

Edited by Noah Harbinger

Great points Noah, very well stated.  Yes, "calibrating (MPG) expectations", is huge.  For myself, I 'expected' about 38-40; was extremely pleased when I was 'off the lot' with 42; ecstatic to see it creep past 45; 'out of this world' when I have an urban/rural run of 50+.  I now have to watch my expectations, which have slipped up into the greed category.  We do know / expect our MPG to drift down eventually, especially as the temp drops (not too far here, thankfully).  Happily creeping toward 43 someday.  Nick 

PS  598  mile road trip this past weekend over mtns, through the canyons, along the mighty Columbia ................... 48.0 MPG.  :jump_earth: 

Edited by C-MaxSea

I just got 36 mpg hand calculated, the computer said 38 and for considerable A/C and Texas Hill Country I am grateful. I do hope to push through 40MPG as the weather cools down and the A/C runs less. I am also actively managing my headlight usage when possible. Seems headlights hit the batt harder than the A/C.

I am new here and since getting my C-Max almost a week ago, I have been trying to drive carefully and learn these new hybrid driving techniques.  The car computer is saying 48.6 average MPG for my first 200 miles.

My two questions for the veterans out there are first, how accurate is this car computer in estimating actual gas mileage, and second, doesn't this average seem a bit whacky for a new, unbroken-in motor?  Ed

Hello ERPriest, well first off I don't think there is anything wrong with your AvMPG readings. I just wish my one year old CMax was doing the same.  This week my driving has been staying between 43.9-44.3.  I have almost 18k miles and I've never been able to drive in the high 40's to low 50's mpg for any length of time.  It wasn't until after I got the upgrade which allows for EV driving up to 85mph that I was maintaining an AvMPG number higher than 40.  High 30's were the norm for my CMax.

While I have made some adjustments to having the C-Max I don't feel my driving habits have drastically changed.

My last vehicle was an SUV that got 17-21MPG. As is typical for a conventional automobile the better mileage came on the highway/interstate whereas it was worse in city driving. Previously, I would still try to anticipate stop lights and traffic, go easy on the brakes when slowing, try to maintain as much speed as possible in case a light turned green, and moderately accelerate. These are the same things I do now but with a few changes to take advantage of the electric running.

I have found that the mileage range with the C-Max is much greater than with my old car. Before, I would get no higher than 21MPG regardless of what I tried and low end was in the 16-17MPG area (unless I drove like a maniac). Now, low side is about 40MPG on the interstate if I take it up to 70MPH or more. High side can be 50-55MPG on short city trips and over 60MPG for longer trips with the engine warmed up.

One factor that has altered people's perceptions of hybrid mileage is the fact that there is a mileage gauge staring at you at all times. While some newer cars have these now, most cars don't. The reality is that most people only have a vague understanding of the true mileage they get in their vehicles. The ever-present gauge brings mileage numbers front and center.

Topic tangent: I had a 1977 Chevrolet with a fuel mileage gauge. This was connected to intake manifold vacuum and did not display any numbers, just a range. But it was the only gauge of this type I had until I got the C-Max.

Edited by HPRifleman

What freeway speeds are folks using. I'm at 67mph on ECO CRUISE in serious up and down central and west Texas hill country. I have the program upgrade and will run the long downhills in EV mode, I'm still at 38 MPG.

You guys getting the really great mpgs I notice are mostly west coast and possibly not so much A/C running?

You guys driving 55mph?

My dealer told me to approach the published Ford 47/47/47 requires hypermiling and max 55mph on highways.

Just asking.

Mark

Edited by stratosurfer

Ugh. They make hypermiling sound like it's some sort of 3 armed midget at a freak show in a fluorescent flashing cage. No. Embrace hypermiling, it makes the drive much more fun where you interact with your car instead of being a drone. It also makes you a far, far better and aware driver than the DRONES on the roads.

I use to drive > 50% freeways at one time, my speed ranged from 68 to 58 as I pulse and glided. Back then (pre 13b07 update) we had ICE High MPG that would gauaranted 40MPG minimum and it would dance at 45-60MPG on the flat. Since the update I have not often driven freeway due to my change in work but according to some posters here, you can "blip" the eco-cruise and initiate some ICE High MPG but you may need to tweak by feathering the pedal to kick it out of the full EV. Again, this is on the flats. Don't expect 47MPG climbing hill, no such ICE/hybrid exists. Also freeway driving is all about battery management. Have a good read of my review of the CMax on my sig, hope you can pick up some pointers.

The topics of hilly/mountain terrains has also come up in another thread, suggest you search for it and have a good read. Bottom line: You can't fight physics, so stick to the right, 2 bar it up the mountain and enjoy the Sony music system :)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

What freeway speeds are folks using. I'm at 67mph on ECO CRUISE in serious up and down central and west Texas hill country. I have the program upgrade and will run the long downhills in EV mode, I'm still at 38 MPG.

You guys getting the really great mpgs I notice are mostly west coast and possibly not so much A/C running?

You guys driving 55mph?

My dealer told me to approach the published Ford 47/47/47 requires hypermiling and max 55mph on highways.

Just asking.

Mark

Good question Mark, 55 mph on the freeways - no way.  I drive ECO Cruise 58-60 in 60 mph speed zones, and 65-67 in 65 or 70 mph speed zones.  Occasional limited AC.  'Lifetime' 47.0,1,2  Nick (did drive a little slower at first)

PS  Hint to EPA:  Try considering three levels of MPG ratings - 'City' (up to 35 mph), 'Highway' (typical 45-55 mph), & 'Freeway' (60-70mph).  Duh, when did we get those new-fangled high-speed Interstates ??? (1960-1990 ish !!!)  (or just scrap the whole thing)

PSS  BTW, 47 is not the published EPA rating anymore, it's 43.  

Edited by C-MaxSea

I don't hypermile and I have 48.9mpg post-update, and 46.4mpg lifetime.  City is usually 52-55, and highway/freeway is 42-45.  I need to start a thread on how I drive, b/c I'm managing to do really well, but I still feel like I could do a lot better.  I know I can get to the 700mi club, but it's still eluding me.  Then again, I'm only on my 5th tank.

I've decided that, while your driving style has a lot to do with your MPG, so does the environment in which you drive.  Totally flat roads, with extremely frequent stopping and starting, and many short trips, the C-Max just can't work optimally.  Or at least those trips are the ones where I get the worst MPGs.  I periodically get a trip around 35mpg, but those are usually <5mi so the ICE warmup kills it.  On the other hand, I had a random 20mi 76.8mpg trip, and I still can't figure out how or why.  Lots of 70+ freeway driving will lower your MPG as well.  I've found that moderate hills actually help my MPG, but I think that's because of the forced pulse & glide discussed elsewhere.

So, I'm guessing that even if you're driving as optimally as you can, the nature of the trips you're taking may be limiting your MPGs. I'd be interested in hearing more about the types of trips, terrain, traffic, and distances.

You guys driving 55mph?

Just asking.

Mark

Mark, I use my A/C everyday 100% of the time here on the west coast and today I got 44.5 while driving on city streets and averaging 35-40mph mostly flat roads with some medium hills

Edited by mtb9153

I'm on the West Coast and for my daily commute I drive freeway to work and a hilly canyon route and city streets going home. I typically get 40-44MPG on the freeway in the morning with an Ecocruise speed of around 65MPH. Going home I do a combination of Ecocruise and P&G at between 55 and 60MPH (the canyon speed limit is 55Mph) and I have been getting better than 48Mpg. lately I have been topping 50Mpg most days. That route is about 70/30 canyon/city streets.

post-1363-0-51053600-1379608104_thumb.jpg

You guys driving 55mph?

Just asking.

Mark

At least the speed limit. Even a little under around traffic is unsafe and foolish IMO.

Generally I'm admit three mph over.

I did just get 47 mpg with two passengers on a two hour trip, but a lot of it was 65-70 mph. and, I need to see what the elevation change was. (Colorado Springs to Boulder)

I'm very happy with that number though.

My lifetime average is up to 39.0 (which appears on shutdown) and my full-time displayed average is 42.5.

I only drove conservatively for a whole tank once to get 600 miles. I don't have the patience to do that all the time, LOL

Then again, I'm only on my 5th tank.

Only on the 5th tank and in the Boston area means you've only owned/driven the car in prime temps for FE.  You should take a significant hit in the approaching months depending on how tough this winter is for you.  Not trying to burst your bubble, just giving you a heads up.  Heater use can keep the ICE running at stops, much longer warmup times, etc.  It will be interesting to see what your lifetime is at one year.  GOOD LUCK!  :rockon: