Best mileage for a trip?

Dorian

I thought it might be fun to show what kind of personal mileage record you set for a one way trip.... whether to the grocery store or to the other side of the continent.

Yesterday my wife and I piled our Great Dane into the back of our C-Max and headed up to Joseph D. Grant County Park above San Jose. The return trip was 15 miles. Granted, it was mostly downhill, but I was still pleasantly shocked to see our mileage reported at the end of the trip as 101.9 MPG!

reality trip, drove from toledo ohio to wytheville virginia 5 mph above speed limit, of course some real mountains in WV and Virginia, used eco cruise, got 36 MPG.

Drove from Charleston SC to Savannah Georgia yesterday and got 41.5 at around 60-65 MPH along coastline and marshes.

But yes this same vehicle will post your numbers when given the opportunity, got 54 MPG last night from dinner back to Hotel

reality trip, drove from toledo ohio to wytheville virginia 5 mph above speed limit, of course some real mountains in WV and Virginia, used eco cruise, got 36 MPG.

Drove from Charleston SC to Savannah Georgia yesterday and got 41.5 at around 60-65 MPH along coastline and marshes.

But yes this same vehicle will post your numbers when given the opportunity, got 54 MPG last night from dinner back to Hotel

That sounds about right. Getting the advertised mpg would probably be possible if I did not mind pissing off everyone else on the road by always driving the limit or below. I have had one tailgater who I think saw the hybrid tag and saw red for some reason, but that was his problem not mine. Ironically a level freeway is probably a worst case scenario for this car, in terms of mpg, but it is still very good.

I think hybrids in general are meant to be commuters and not freeway dwellers. We have put a little over 700 miles on our C-MAX the past two weeks and have not left Santa Clara County. We have averaged 42.6 mpg during that period. Due to the population density in Silicon Valley, driving above the speed limit is only possible late-late night. All other times the traffic is too heavy for speeding.

• 2 weeks later...

I was happy to get 47.3 mpg on a 163 mile trip from Austin to Houston on Highway 290. I drove between 55-64 miles per hour, with A/C on and no cruise control. I was trying to hold the car in EV around 58-62mph as frequently as possible. The hills helped a lot, but I was the slowest car on the road. It's nice to know 47 highway is possible, but I will probably drive faster in the future.

WP 000386

I am driving from Dallas to Austin this weekend and will stay at the 75mph speed limit. Will report on my mpg at those speeds.

Have you noticed any Ford dealers in Austin with Energi's in stock?

I don't believe that there are any in stock as of yet. I suspect that they haven't been released to the dealers.

I drove 450 miles from South Carolina up to Washington DC yesterday. Most of the trip was done at speeds of 60 to 70 mph with eco-cruise on. The overall average was 46.5 mpg. This is a little misleading because the end of the trip covered about 20 miles of suburban driving between 30 to 50 mph. However, on the portion of the trip where the eco-cruise was on I averaged 44.5 mpg.

I am impressed with that mileage and even more that I did the 450 miles and still had gas in the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey fellow San Jose owner, pretty impressive MPG. Do you know of any other CMAX in the south bay? I've seen 3 others since buying mine in late September from Frontier Ford. Just love to drive this car. Guess that is why I now show over 4k on the odometer. Had 7 when I drove it off the lot. We'll see what it reads after I get back from Sacramento this weekend. My first road trip woohoo!

Take care.

Mike

This thread makes me feel good knowing that under the right conditions one can get great mpg with the C-Max.

I've had my C-Max for just slightly longer than one week.  My longest drive so far is my 9.1 mile commute to work.  This past Monday, the Monday after Thanksgiving, traffic was lighter than normal and it was warm, so I didn't have to use the heater.  My drive to work is mainly downhill, and I obtained 44.3 mpg.  My drive home has been averaging in the mid-to-high 30's.  I have less than 150 miles total on the vehicle, so I realize I am still in the break-in period and that my mileage is going to get better as the car "breaks-in" and I learn how to drive it.  What has made me feel good is realizing that I can get into EV mode on the highway; that was a pleasant surprise!