Upgrade to an Energi

rkk

For those who aren't aware, Ford has some pretty good rebates on the Energi right now and 0 percent interest for 60 months. The dealers are also eager to move them. If you can take advantage of the $4007 Federal Tax credit it might be worth looking at trading in your CMAX Hybrid for the Energi ( or just getting another one). Several of us over at cleanmpg.com have done just that. In my case after all was said and done, including the tax rebate for under $4900 more including all taxes and fees I traded in my base SE CMAX hybrid with over 27,000 miles on it for a base Energi SEL with 75 miles on it. With the 0 percent interest my effective monthly payment(after accounting for the tax rebate) is the same as I was paying for the hybrid. Now the Energi has nearly 500 miles and I have used less than 3 gallons of gas.

I fell in love with driving electric driving my wifes Leaf but I needed more range. This gives me the best of both worlds. If you haven't driven one it would be worth a test drive.

Yeah, I've been monitoring the Ford website offers at the beginning of each month.   Coming from a plug-in (Volt @ 172mpg), it's been hard getting use to the hybrid FE numbers again.  My closest dealer has an identical Ruby Red Energi optioned exactly as my SEL that's been on the lot since May.  I drove it in August but their deal/offer was a joke at the time.  

Its a great idea but I have issues with that "hump" in the back and it's NOT going to allow us to fit all our snow gear and snowboard and skis when we go to Mammoth. As my pictures prove, we load it to the roof. However, if I had an Energi to drive my 40-50 miles to and from work, I can probably kill all records for the range on 1 tank.... ;)

..and so could fotomoto, Matt and ptjones :drool:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Its a great idea but I have issues with that "hump" in the back and it's NOT going to allow us to fit all our snow gear and snowboard and skis when we go to Mammoth. As my pictures prove, we load it to the roof. However, if I had an Energi to drive my 40-50 miles to and from work, I can probably kill all records for the range on 1 tank.... ;)

The lost space in the back along with the no longer flat floor when you fold the seats down can be a deal breaker for some. Ironically for me I need to take my snow blower in to be fixed. I probably should have done that first. Oh well, maybe it will fit.

Edited by rkk

I still think it is only practicable for around town driving compared to Hybrid. I don't think it would get as good MPG's  on trips and I can't justify the loss of trunk space. IMO 

Paul

I disagree on the MPG's on trips. The extra weight doesn't hurt it that much at highway speeds. Remember it is actually higher rated by the EPA now than the regular hybrid on the highway. Depending on how long the trip is the initial 21 or so miles on battery will make up for a lot if not more than all of any actual reduction in highway mileage. Can't get around the space issue though.

Energi model only makes sense if you have low electricity rates.  In NYC it is more than $.20/kilowatt and there is usually no off-peak rate.  It is cheaper for me to fill up the CMax with regular gasoline than paying for electricity charges.  For local trips about 20 miles without high speed driving I can get 49+MPG easily with the regular Cmax

For those who aren't aware, Ford has some pretty good rebates on the Energi right now and 0 percent interest for 60 months. The dealers are also eager to move them. If you can take advantage of the $4007 Federal Tax credit it might be worth looking at trading in your CMAX Hybrid for the Energi ( or just getting another one). Several of us over at cleanmpg.com have done just that. In my case after all was said and done, including the tax rebate for under $4900 more including all taxes and fees I traded in my base SE CMAX hybrid with over 27,000 miles on it for a base Energi SEL with 75 miles on it. With the 0 percent interest my effective monthly payment(after accounting for the tax rebate) is the same as I was paying for the hybrid. Now the Energi has nearly 500 miles and I have used less than 3 gallons of gas.

I fell in love with driving electric driving my wifes Leaf but I needed more range. This gives me the best of both worlds. If you haven't driven one it would be worth a test drive.

don't want to give up my cargo space with my SEL Hybrid until Ford finds a way get it back in the Energi.

This is intriguing! I would have no problem upgrading to the Energi - I could use the extra boost in $$ savings.  However, I can't afford to lose more cargo space, and the cost of putting in the home charger unit is more than I am willing to spend.

Driving all EV is sweet. I would have been quite happy with an SE, but I like the Energi so much that I don't think I could switch back. The cargo space has not been an issue for me, but I could clearly see that it could be. You are better off with the hybrid if you drive more than about 70 miles in a day and can't recharge. The 21 EV miles are nice in really heavy traffic though.

As mentioned above, the prce of electricity in NY is close to the price of gas. HOV lane access was the deciding factor for me.

Yes there are other reasons to plug-in besides possibly lower running costs.  For some, it's using cleaner energy, others it's using domestic energy and/or reducing the dependence of foreign sources, HOV access, and for some its the pleasure of smooth silent propulsion.  Lots of benefits to EV driving.  

We went on a 3,000 mile road trip in our Energi and, after having a Honda Odyssey with all the back seats out, I worried about the limited space  but it all worked out by careful planning of what we really needed to take.  One observation: the stuff I put in the back on "the shelf" didn't reach the ceiling (could still use the rear view mirror) and would have been the same if the large battery pack wasn't there.

I have mixed emotions about the great deals on the Energi.  One, it depresses me because I paid more, and two it depresses me as it indicates they are not selling as well as hoped for, but three I hope to see more on the road!  We will save about $500 (net of electricity costs) in driving-around-town gasoline a year (vs the Odyssey) thanks to the Energi - love that, and love the car!

This is intriguing! I would have no problem upgrading to the Energi - I could use the extra boost in $$ savings.  However, I can't afford to lose more cargo space, and the cost of putting in the home charger unit is more than I am willing to spend.

The cargo space can certainly be a deal breaker, but you don't need a home charger.  The 120V charger included with the car will charge it overnight.

The cargo space can certainly be a deal breaker, but you don't need a home charger.  The 120V charger included with the car will charge it overnight.

Hmmmm.....I do drive 60 miles a day with nowhere to charge at work.  So, I'm not sure this would be the best switch.  I don't know.  I really do miss the extra cargo room that the Escape had.  So going smaller might be a bit much for me.

My buddy has the same SE I do, and was all set to trade for an Energi recently as you describe, but apparently our local Ford store offered him a deeply unattractive deal... but these incentives apply now, so maybe the dealer would be more reasonable now...and maybe he didn't fully calculate the benefits.

Edited by HotPotato

I bought the Energi over the Hybrid for the available EV range. That little bit of cargo space isn't an issue for me.

My Energi is awesome and I can do most of my weekday driving in EV mode. I drive to Santa Cruz on Saturdays,

but I still get great MPG numbers.  It's the only car for me and after adding up all the rebates, incentives, zero %

loan and the CA green cash refund. My C-Max Energi was 24,700.00 OTD :love_shower:

I still think it is only practicable for around town driving compared to Hybrid. I don't think it would get as good MPG's  on trips and I can't justify the loss of trunk space. IMO 

Paul

The Energi does very well as a hybrid.  I've been using my Energi almost exclusively for long distance trips and my MPGe is about 46 right now after more than 6000 miles in about two months of ownership.  It also has plenty of cargo room for 1-2 people for trips.  If you had kids in the back seat, I think either might be tough to get by for the cargo space.

The lost space in the back along with the no longer flat floor when you fold the seats down can be a deal breaker for some. Ironically for me I need to take my snow blower in to be fixed. I probably should have done that first. Oh well, maybe it will fit.

Hahaha. Probably won't. I had to lay mine over on it's side to get it into my hybrid. Very little room to spare above. Even with the handle folded, it wouldn't go in upright. I would really like to upgrade to the Energi, but I guess I don't want to give up that valuable cargo space!

Edited by robertiv

Hmmmm.....I do drive 60 miles a day with nowhere to charge at work.  So, I'm not sure this would be the best switch.  I don't know.  I really do miss the extra cargo room that the Escape had.  So going smaller might be a bit much for me.

Same here. I have a 60 mile round trip commute and I needed the cargo space. If I could live without the cargo space I would have gone with the Fusion Hybrid. I actually didn't even know about the C-Max when I went to look at the Fusion. Once I saw the trunk I figured I was out of luck. Fortunately I noticed the C-Max in the showroom and started looking at it.

No way I would be able to go plug in with my current commute. 

After many issues with the 12 volt system in my C-Max, I traded yesterday for a Fusion Energi. It has everything my SEL had except for Keyless Start. I have a Community Charge Station at the City Hall behind the school I am Chaplain at. I will be able to stay in EV mode for all by my longest trips. I expect that my Gas consumption is going to take another great leap downward. I will still keep up with the C-Max crowd as my Parents still have theirs. I will miss the space of the C-Max but what I lost there is compensated by the better aerodynamics of the Fusion. I made the leap to an Energi but on a different platform. The $4007 tax credit made this possible.

Peace.

Father Bill