Energi - EV Range Display After Charging

Bill-N

Somewhat off topic, but for those energi owners lurking among us, this from OASIS today:

2012-2014 Focus Electric, 2013 C-MAX Energi, 2013-2014 Fusion Energi - EV Range Display After Charging

The EV Range being displayed after fully charging a 2012-2014 Focus Electric, 2013 C-MAX Energi or 2013-2014 Fusion Energi may vary after each charging event. EV Range is similar to the Distance To Empty feature on a conventional gasoline vehicle and is based upon how the vehicle was driven prior to charging the battery. Factors such as terrain, mild/aggressive acceleration or braking, city or highway driving, and use of accessories such as headlamps, heating and air conditioning all contribute to the variation in the EV Range that is available and displayed. 

Edited by Bill-N

Bill,  what exactly is on OASIS?  Just this message?  Software update?  What you forwarded seems like a typical disclaimer that would be covered in the Energi OM.   Is it for dealers to give to complaining customers?

I've only had mine a few days but so far it seems pretty close.  26 miles est. this morning  :happy feet:

It almost seems like FMC has been getting feedback from the consumers and they didn't have a unified answer. This seems to be a reasonable explanation of Range. I know that If i drive at night my miles will be lower because I am using headlight. Still I get nearly 24 miles EV on my way home.

Bill,  what exactly is on OASIS?  Just this message?  Software update?  What you forwarded seems like a typical disclaimer that would be covered in the Energi OM.   Is it for dealers to give to complaining customers?

I've only had mine a few days but so far it seems pretty close.  26 miles est. this morning  :happy feet:

What I posted is all there is on OASIS.

It almost seems like FMC has been getting feedback from the consumers and they didn't have a unified answer. This seems to be a reasonable explanation of Range. I know that If i drive at night my miles will be lower because I am using headlight. Still I get nearly 24 miles EV on my way home.

This explanation sounds about right to me (emphasis mine).

Seems like someone is monitoring my posts ;)

You're not understanding what we are trying to tell you.  Temps play a role as well as using the heater, the headlights, and all the other accessories. You can't charge the battery and have it read a cetain number, just because it's been charged. The number you see is an estimated number based on the last use and current loads on the system. If it's getting colder where you live, the battery charge miles will drop.

The HVB is temp. sensitive. There are lots of other causes for EV losses.  Tire pressure, temps., driving habits, wind, high speed driving, uphill driving, electrical loads like headlights, the heater, heated seats, and a big one is the degroster. It runs the A/C compressor to dry the moisture from the cabin air. The fan motor is a large electrical load. Running it on high will reduce the HVB run times.  All these things can add up to a large load.  The system has a screen that will indicate kWh usage on the left screen.  Turn it on and look at the kWh's you're using while driving. It's an eye opener.  Before you start blaming the car, verify what you are doing with it. It's easier than going to the dealer and being told nothing is wrong.