Cruising mileage testing with aero mods.......

Recumpence

Hello All,

Today I decided to do some cruising MPG testing. Here is what I did;

I found a stretch of road near my home that runs north/south with some rolling hills. That road is 2.4 miles long. It has a 50mph speed limit. I wanted to eliminate acceleration from the equation. So, I accelerated to 50mph and set the eco cruise. At that point, I reset my MPG gauge and cruised for the 2.4 miles to the end of the road. As soon as I broke cruise to slow down, I recorded the MPG and turned around to repeat the test in both directions. I did this round trip 6 times for a total of 12 trips. This back and forth eliminated any elevation change and wind from skewing the numbers. Oh the temperature was a frigid 21 degrees!

After all of my testing, I averaged out the numbers and my average was 52.25mpg at 50mph in 21 degree weather! This was cruising on cruise control, no hyper miling or drafting.

I must say, I am thrilled. Tonight we are doing a bunch of interstate driving and I plan on recording my 65 to 70mph MPG average too.   :)

I am totally thrilled with these aero mods. I would normally have seen a maximum of 45mpg under these conditions without the mods.

Matt

Edited by Recumpence

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2074-the-aero-mods-begin-lexan-wheel-covers/

Smooth wheel covers

All 3 grilles are blocked

Fog lights covered

Hood lowered to reduce air gaps

Matt

I would be concerned about blocking the lower grill. The electronics cooler is located behind it and could help lead to cooling

related problems for the hybrid system controller.  The lower grill isn't gonna change ECT very much, IMO.  The upper grill will

affect under hood temperatures and might also contribute to overheating of the electronics. Having one or the other blocked would

be a safer choice and my pick would be to leave the lower unblocked.

Edited by drdiesel1

I have gas pods, but they are not installed at this point because I am looking at making a Kammback.

Turns out we went through town rather than on the interstate last night. Bummer. I really wanted those numbers.

I need to do some A-B-A testing with and without all mods to get a very accurate number. I know my MPG is around 7mpg better now than last winter. What I don't know is how much of that is from the mods and how much is from the Ford software updates.

Matt

Ahh. Oh well.

I'm only getting about 37 mpg on this tank. Lots of short trips, so I'm not too concerned. Maybe I'll try to put the heat on 80ish instead of high.

I actually just got a talking to by the police because my car was heating up outside (my SUV was in the garage for the wife) and I had stepped in to grab my coffee.

Basterds..

Yeah, is that a "green" thing or a security thing? A local ordinance?

Local thing, they said a lot of cars get stolen. I'm not concerned because I live at the end of a neighborhood with no thru traffic. Mainly I was pissed at getting bothered on my own property while in uniform.