Another Ford Escape Recall Today

Laurel

agreed. brand new model = asking for trouble. even though a lot of the car is built by robots, a lot is put together by humans and with Sssooooooo many OEM suppliers involved in making a car and supplying all those parts, there is always a chance of a tolerance issue. you can't imagine how many drawing chances happen when you do a first production run.so many variables. just like software.nothing in manufacturing is ever perfect.

salsaguy, CQE

Certified Quality Engineer

Well, I owned one of the 2013 escapes that was in every single recall.  Also, my car was one of the few that was actually leaking and could have started a fire.  My car was gone more than I had it.  Actually, my car was recalled before Thanksgiving last year - and I never saw it again.  There were many problems - one of the biggest ones was lack of available replacement parts.  Now, I understand why there was a lack of replacement parts.  But it kept my car from me for months - on two different recalls.  And then, with the last recall, the part finally arrived, but it required a special tool to install - the tools were not sent with the parts.  At that point, I initiated a buy back and Ford was fabulous throughout the entire process.

So, having been on the bad end of the recalls, here's what I know - 

Ford has been amazing at dealing with the recalls.  My service department is fabulous - the entire dealership is fabulous.  They paid for every single one of the rentals I needed.  And I'm talking for months at a time.  And if I didn't like the rental, they put me in another one.  (My job as a car test driver...if only it paid.)  The people at my job got a huge kick out of it because it was game to see what car I was driving that week.  

I wish that the service technicians were better trained.  According to the current report, some of the service techs may have incorrectly reinstalled the fuel lines.  

So, since it is 'normal' to have issues with first-year models, I think the Escape has had too many and this will hit Ford hard.  But Ford's reaction to the recalls has been wonderful.  And thanks to a wonderful dealership manager, an easy buy-back process, and good timing, I am now in a C-Max that I absolutely love.  I miss the extra space I had in the Escape, but I love the C-Max so much, I'm okay with that.