SEL lock problem in cold weather

zacsc

Now that the weather has turned colder the intelligent access key feature on our Sel model is not always working. When trying to open the locked doors or lock the doors when leaving by touching the pad, if wearing gloves nothing happens. All works fine when I take my glove off, but it's winter. I would think having lock features should work with gloves on or off, or is this a design flaw?

I have had the same problem up here in the cold white north. The difference is that it doesn't even work with gloves off. It seems if it is really cold it will not unlock or lock with the touch/ sense feature. It seems to act up when it is -15 Celsius or more. Once the day warms up it seems to work better in the afternoon, but still a little spotty. Had it to the dealer and they could not replicate the problem, no kidding it works fine in the warm shop. I never would have guessed. Be great to know if anyone else is experiencing this problem, and any solutions you may find.

Cheers,

Bruce

I'm guessing the door lock function in the CMax door handle senses the heat or your fingerprint in your hand, or sort of like the unlock function in my iPad mini or my iPhone5.  Gloves on will not open the device, unless you are wearing a pair of those gloves I've seen with small touch pads in the finger tips which supposedly allow function with smart phone/device screens.

I have noticed that when the weather turned cold (down into single digits), unlocking the doors still worked while wearing cloth gloves. When the snow started is when I had more problems unlocking the doors. The snow would cover the inside of the door handle and even melted snow (AKA water) would make sensing my gloved hand hit or miss. Taking off the glove and wiping the moisture from the inside of the handle will then have the automatic unlock working properly.

Now that the weather has turned colder the intelligent access key feature on our Sel model is not always working. When trying to open the locked doors or lock the doors when leaving by touching the pad, if wearing gloves nothing happens. All works fine when I take my glove off, but it's winter. I would think having lock features should work with gloves on or off, or is this a design flaw?

zacsc,

I would definitely take your C-Max to your dealer and show them the concern you're having. Once you've got an appointment, send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, and I'll get your regional customer service manager involved.

Ashley

• 3 weeks later...

Noticed this over Thanksgiving. It was cold and snowy in Vermont, but nothing like the last few weeks. Touch sensors worked eventually, but the kids gave me grief for not using the fob first.

Oddly, in the recent cold spells, no issues at all despite >0F lower temps. Given spyburn's report, there's more going on than just temperature.

Have fun,

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

When we had -15 a couple weeks ago, only my FOB unlocked the doors. Unfortunately, garage only held my husband's car, so CMax had to stay out. I made sure the tank was full and remote started the car every few hours. My mpg fell to 7 at one point since the car wasn't driven for 3 days. I was happy it started so mpg didn't stress me.

zacsc,

I would definitely take your C-Max to your dealer and show them the concern you're having. Once you've got an appointment, send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, and I'll get your regional customer service manager involved.

Ashley

What other Fords have the same access system?  Wonder what their experience might be with same feature.

Warmth in cold temps helps but I had to revert to fob for a while after a recent deep freeze, and now back to working fine (cancelled dealer appt).  Moisture at sense point might be the problem.

Just had car at dealer for the intelligent access key feature not working with gloves on. Was told it's a safety issue not to have doors lock or unlock by accidentally having a coat swipe the handle. Dealer stated the locks will not work with gloves on with any Ford model having the intelligent access key feature. Thanks to Ashley and Linda at Ford for trying to help. Guess we'll have to have the fob handy in the cold weather while wearing gloves.

Just had car at dealer for the intelligent access key feature not working with gloves on. Was told it's a safety issue not to have doors lock or unlock by accidentally having a coat swipe the handle. Dealer stated the locks will not work with gloves on with any Ford model having the intelligent access key feature. Thanks to Ashley and Linda at Ford for trying to help. Guess we'll have to have the fob handy in the cold weather while wearing gloves.

I bet it's just the technology they use is capacitive.  Same reason you can't use an iPhone with gloves on.

I've been having problems with my intelligent access key feature too—for locking only. Originally, I thought it was cold weather related but it unlocks without any problems, no matter how cold. Not wearing gloves for that to be a factor.

The locking feature worked fine when I got car last month, but it's worked less and less consistently to the point where I can't get it working anymore—even if I unlock the doors successfully right before it with my hands in the same position. I've been observing it for the last 2 weeks, making sure that it wasn't user error. 

Taking it to service on Friday, fingers crossed they can replicate and fix the issue at the service department.  I'll post an update here.

Anybody else having problems with only locking or unlocking but not both? 

I've been having problems with my intelligent access key feature too—for locking only. Originally, I thought it was cold weather related but it unlocks without any problems, no matter how cold. Not wearing gloves for that to be a factor.

The locking feature worked fine when I got car last month, but it's worked less and less consistently to the point where I can't get it working anymore—even if I unlock the doors successfully right before it with my hands in the same position. I've been observing it for the last 2 weeks, making sure that it wasn't user error. 

Taking it to service on Friday, fingers crossed they can replicate and fix the issue at the service department.  I'll post an update here.

Anybody else having problems with only locking or unlocking but not both? 

Just make sure you're touching only the outside of the handle.  Other than that, check the Maintenance and TSB's forum for info about a recent unlocking issue; it may be related.

Strange? I can lock and unlock mine with gloves on. Leather gloves do not work but cotton does

Just make sure you're touching only the outside of the handle.  Other than that, check the Maintenance and TSB's forum for info about a recent unlocking issue; it may be related.

It comes and goes for me. The exteme cold seems to be the cause. I can grab the back door handle and not unlock but grab the front and it works. Only on extreme cold days -0.

Thanks Bill-N!  It works — now that I'm making sure to only touch the outside of the handle for locking.  I didn't end up going to service the problem on Friday since it started working again when I was trying correctly. 

Didn't read that part of the owner manual originally, but I see it's a safety guard. The unlocking and locking aren't supposed to be exactly the same. 

Thanks again.

Not saying that this is part of anyone's difficulty with the unlock/lock function of the FOB.

But in my case I noticed that the unlock function appeared inconsistent when attempting to enter the car. I would ususally use my right hand to reach into the handle, sometimes it would unlock others it would not.

I read in the manual that the FOB must be within 3 feet of the car for the auto unlock to work. I'm a little wider than probably most operators, and noticed that sometimes the FOB would be in my right pants pocket, sometimes the left.

This led me to try repositioniong my body when the unlock function would not work. Surprisingly each time then, the door would unlock. I noticed this sometimes occurred also with the kick/opening of the hatchback.

Just in case it was a strength of signal issue, I replaced the battery in the FOB, and have had no issues since.

Perhaps on the wavy edge of the sensing field with less than optimal signal strength.

I don't know, I'm just sayin'