Anyone noticed a problem starting in Reverse?

CNCGeek

How is this for an answer: There's no reverse gear in your C Max. It's an electric car in reverse. Any car that uses the basic design that was initially created by Aisin (all Ford and Toyota hybrids) share this characteristic.

Reverse may feel strange vs a regular car, esp if the battery is low. The throttle will feel very non linear and "springy". Golf cart-like. Like one of those old bumper cars at the fair. It can be a little disconcerting because, in some cases, you may need to almost floor it before the car will move. The engine will come on and rev up to generate enough juice to power the electric motor and move the car, but there will be no relationship to the pedal position, the engine noise, and your speed. The whole thing will feel pretty disconnected under these circumstances.

I almost got stuck in my 2004 Prius doing this. I'd driven down a really steep loading ramp, nose first, at a friend's apartment building. I'd been driving in the parking garage on electric only, and the battery was pretty low. After we unloaded the car, it did not want to reverse back up the ramp. I had to floor it, at which point the engine raced and the car (slowly) backed up. I was a little panicked until someone explained that this was normal for the car.

To get a feel for this, find a safe place that is a steep driveway or ramp in a clear and safe area. Or a steep piece of private road or driveway with no traffic. Drive your car up it and note how it feels. The engine and battery will work together to power you up. Now turn around and go down, and then stop so that you're facing downhill. Now and try to reverse up the incline. The difference in "feel" should be pretty evident.

So, does that mean its possible to go 62mph in reverse since that's the maximum "speed" in EV mode going forward?  Who's going to volunteer to test it out?

Took the car to the dealer today. I think that we are off to a good start.

The service writer immediately called the Service Manager. Both expressed sincere concern. We both went to his office and he spent about 15 minutes looking to see if there were any service bulletins "in the system." Finding none he asked if I felt "ok" to keep driving the vehicle. I indicated that I felt ok with it, as long as it didn't happen again.

He indicated that he is going to contact their Ford engineering rep to see if he knows of the problem/solution and will call me back soon. He indicated that they could keep the car, but based on my description, probably wouldn't duplicate the problem. Codes wouldn't show unless the check engine light.

The indicated that the front trim damage would be repaired as "incidental damage" from the transmission problem.

Others... If you are having the problem, please report it to your Ford Dealer. There seem to be a number of people who have had the problem. It is great to talk about it here. However, they need to see a pattern to understand the significance, as well as figure out the cause/fix. That being said, I suspect (hope) that they are monitoring these Boards.

Until then, I'd suggest that everyone use caution in parking, so that they aren't on a slant and will immediately drift into a car or other object if the car starts to roll.

I will keep you posted as I learn more.

Until then, I'd suggest that everyone use caution in parking, so that they aren't on a slant and will immediately drift into a car or other object if the car starts to roll.

Thanks for the update, Scooter. And if any one does park on a hill, then I suggest using the hand brake before reversing to make sure the car is in gear and can move just as a precaution.

Thanks for the update, Scooter. And if any one does park on a hill, then I suggest using the hand brake before reversing to make sure the car is in gear and can move just as a precaution.

I thought this situation was exactly what the hill climb assist was for?  My understanding was that it applies the brakes until there is enough power to move the vehicle in the direction it needs to go in (and not roll downhill). 

Hill Start Assist for sure works when you're nose up.

Going up a hill, come to a complete stop.  When you then let go of the brake pedal, the car will be held stationary for 2-3 seconds to allow you to push the gas pedal.  If it senses that you're pushing the gas pedal, the car will continue to be held in the stationary position until you have pushed down on the gas pedal hard enough for the engine/motor output to overcome the hill on which you are stopped.

Today, I tried to see if Hill Start Assist works with nose done.  Apparently it does.  I was in a parking spot with my nose down.  I backed up 5 ft from the car in front of me to make sure I don't roll into it.  I also had about 5 ft of space behind me as well.  I shifted the car into park then pulled the hand brakes.  Then I put my foot on the brake pedal, released the hand brakes and shifted into reverse.  I let go of the brake pedal slowly, and the car remained stationary.  So, I guess Hill Start Assist works both in forward and reverse.  I also had ~35-40% charge in the batteries at the time.

I will test again tomorrow. 

• 3 weeks later...

This happened to me last week. I turned it off and on again three times and then it finally started to back up in EV mode. As I thought about it, I realized that I might not have had my foot firmly enough on the brake when I pressed the start button. On my third attempt I pressed the brake firmly and pushed the start button and it started moving in reverse EV mode as soon as I released the brake.

I/14/13 update: very cold last night. Went to put car in reverse and it paused. I waited about two seconds and it started to move in reverse with no problems! I think I have found the answer. As others have suggested, in cold weather and/or when the batteries have a low charge, the car's computer needs a second or two to connect to the transmission and make the car move in reverse. I believe that the secret is to pause about two seconds after you put the car into reverse and you should not have any further issues.

Edited by Generalbeluga

I have noticed something weird twice when starting in reverse out of my garage. I cannot recall the exact circumstances of the first time it happened (except that the battery charge was low and the engine turned on at startup). The problem re-occurred this evening, when I started the car the engine started up becuase the battery was low (about 25-30% charge). When I put it in gear for reverse and let off the brake nothing happened (which I have found is typical - sometimes it has to get a tap on the gas before it starts moving), well I tapped the gas and nothing. Checked the brake, it was not set and this is a level driveway/garage. Tapped down some more and the engine clearly reved, but no movement, I also noticed the engine seemed to struggle a bit so I let off the gas. I shifted back to Park and then back to Reverse and gave it some gas, this time it did start to move. The ambient temps were in the upper 80's, low humidity (no rain today and it did not feel humid, I think it was less than 50%), and the car had been setting for a day, but otherwise nothing out of the ordinary.

Has anyone else noted any weirdness like this?

My C-Max has refused to move more than once after it was parked facing "down-hill" in a parking structure. I found that pulling on the hand break and releasing it again returned operation to normal.

My C-Max has refused to move more than once after it was parked facing "down-hill" in a parking structure. I found that pulling on the hand break and releasing it again returned operation to normal.

I often (most always) set the parking brake when I park, so maybe that has something to do with the programming for the Hill Climb Assist (maybe the car will utilize the HCA even if the car does not sense a hill, but the parking brake was applied when it was parked - but that could contradict the manual).  FWIW, I have not observed the original behavior in the past month, but I have often (couple times a week) observed the pause between putting the pedal down in reverse and actual movement, but that is something I am getting used to.  The pause however is not the same as the original problem, the pause is brief and it starts moving just as the thought that there could be a problem sets in.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had this reverse problem several times since purchase. Mine happens when both on an incline and on level ground, always after letting the car sit for some time. I have taken to the dealer twice, latest on Feb 4 and am now waiting for Ford to tell them a fix. I called Ford customer service today 800-392-3673 and informed them as well and am now waiting for a reply from them as well. I recommend that everyone that has had this problem take their car to the dealer to investigate as that will spur Ford on to find and fix the problem.

Viking are you 100% sure your car has been in ready to drive mode?  We had two incidents and we were in accessory mode instead of ready to drive--so with us it was new hybrid driver error.  It can be darned hard to tell if you are new to the game and not watching the dash info carefully.

I also believe this is what is happening. It's easy to think your in drive mode when in actuality you're in accessory mode. Keep in mind you are still able to shift in accessory mode.

It goes into reverse gear but no power when gas is pressed. It just rolls down the hill.

Exact thing happened to me and was confused out of my mind. I was able to duplicate it.

Edited by locot

Let's all keep in mind that it's the car's computer (an MS Windows system) that is controlling everything.  That's why, when you push the start button, you wait until you get the OK To Drive message, unlike a normal car where you can turn the key and throw the shifter into drive/reverse.  Basically, the computer is booting up, initializing all the systems, running checks and diagnostics, etc.  I to have noticed, sometimes, when I put the shifter into reverse, there is a slight pause before the gears engage to get the car moving.  Sometimes you have to give the computer a chance to catch up with what you are demanding of the systems.

Someone should sticky this. It's prob a common prob for new owners. Quite unsettling your new 30kcar can't get out of the driveway. Make sure you have your foot on brake when starting otherwise it goes into accessory mode.

I agree!  I think this issue crops up for many of us in the couple weeks of driving the car.  It does warrant a sticky.

Let's all keep in mind that it's the car's computer (an MS Windows system) that is controlling everything.  That's why, when you push the start button, you wait until you get the OK To Drive message, unlike a normal car where you can turn the key and throw the shifter into drive/reverse.  Basically, the computer is booting up, initializing all the systems, running checks and diagnostics, etc.  I to have noticed, sometimes, when I put the shifter into reverse, there is a slight pause before the gears engage to get the car moving.  Sometimes you have to give the computer a chance to catch up with what you are demanding of the systems.

Microsoft has nothing to do with anything other than the Entertainment/Phone (SYNC) functions of the car.   There is a physical firewall between the SYNC system (Microsoft) and the normal engine/transmission computers which do not use Microsoft