Ford's Jim Farley: “We know everyone who breaks the law, we know when you're doing it. We have GPS in your car, so we know what you're doing"

bigalpha

Not half as scary as 'smart' phones, Facebook, Twitter, Google,  ............................................................ and the dozens (hundreds/thousands ?) of tracking companies/systems/databases...................... out there tracking our every keystroke!    :cry:

:nonono: :rant2: :rant: :swear: :gaah:  :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :gaah:

(and this rant probably cost me some discounts at Groupon or elsewhere - hmm, maybe it assured me a dozen more 'discounts'?)

Edited by C-MaxSea

Every cellphone is trackable, and to a large extent is tracked.  Phones switch from tower to tower all the time, and the phone company can get your location by the relative signal strength at various towers, even if it didn't have a GPS.  Virtually all phones now also have a GPS receiver in them (whether they give you the data or not) because it's extremely cheap and provides a good clock reference.

I had a good laugh over this.  Imagine someone looking at my GPS data when my GPS has been showing me driving 65 mph through wheat fields next to the Interstate - until the GPS module was updated and fixed last summer.

Wait....you didn't get the Ford memo that your CMax is a submarine and a hovercraft as well? Dude, you have to try these undocumented features... :lol2:

This would explain why my car thought it was taking back roads when I was on the expressway this morning... It was a little spooky as I have 2 routes to work, highway and surface. I was driving on one, but the car was on the other.

Turns out GPS was OFF - GPS with a red X - so the car really was lost. I removed and reinserted the SD card and the resulting reset brought GPS back up. Have others seen the GPS turn off? I never noticed it before!

Have fun,

Frank

This would explain why my car thought it was taking back roads when I was on the expressway this morning... It was a little spooky as I have 2 routes to work, highway and surface. I was driving on one, but the car was on the other.

Turns out GPS was OFF - GPS with a red X - so the car really was lost. I removed and reinserted the SD card and the resulting reset brought GPS back up. Have others seen the GPS turn off? I never noticed it before!

Have fun,

Frank

I'm curious where you saw the icon/symbol for the GPS with the red X. Not seen this before. Since you re-set the SD card, do you think that had lost it's connection?

I can't speak to more than what I did. Removing/replacing the SD card caused the nav to reset and the GPS to turn on (if I've interpreted the icon properly). It was on the left of the nav screen, forming a fourth quadrant with the zoom and pointer config buttons.

Frank