What happened to the resale value?!!

Gustavo Monge

I quoted kbb.com on the private party resale value of my cmax, and is only $18,329 as of 1/24/2014, its barely been a year and 3 months and its already down by $10k in value more than 35% lost value, the purchase price on the car for me was $28k, not counting tax, fees and all the other stuff. 

here is the link of kbb:

http://www.kbb.com/ford/c-max-hybrid/2013-ford-c-max-hybrid/se-wagon-4d/?vehicleid=377818&intent=trade-in-sell&options=4939478%7ctrue%7c4939427%7ctrue%7c4939437%7ctrue%7c4939577%7ctrue&mileage=15000&pricetype=private-party&val=a&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kbb.com%2Fford%2Fc-max-hybrid%2F2013-ford-c-max-hybrid%2Fse-wagon-4d%2Foptions%2F&condition=excellent&persistedcondition=excellent

my wife 2013 Mazda 3 sky-active is almost the same, and they have been out around the same time, the purchase price of the the mazda is $21,000 and its quoted at $17,618 dollars  same condition as my Cmax

The Mazda 3 is basic, no sunroof, no fog lights, no premium sound, cloth seats, no fancy screen, no navigation,

here is the link to the Mazda 3:

http://www.kbb.com/mazda/mazda3/2013-mazda-mazda3/i-touring-hatchback-4d/?category=hatchback&intent=trade-in-sell&pricetype=private-party&condition=excellent&persistedcondition=excellent&quizconditions=&options=5132069|true|5455760|true|5132189|true&path=&vehicleid=382002&mileage=13000&val=a&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kbb.com%2Fmazda%2Fmazda3%2F2013-mazda-mazda3%2Fi-touring-hatchback-4d%2F

I don't know why the Mazda link keeps putting the mileage of the car at 19500 miles, I quoted at 15,000 miles same as cmax the price is 17,618 at those miles.

Has the MPG problems with the cmax affected the resale price on the car, the car feels way better than the Mazda what is going on?!!!

Edited by Gustavo Monge

Funny you should ask this question today as I was just thinking about this topic of resale value on the C-Max just today and was going to pull up a search on it once I got home.

Not sure but it might be because it's so new and not enough data points yet or maybe because it's a hybrid which does have a limited life sure to the battery technology in the car. (Like a rechargeable battery in your iPod or cell phone that doesn't last forever and will need to be replaced one day.

Edited by salsaguy

IMO, three things are affecting potential buyers of a used C-Max: reliability, FE, and Ford's discount on new ones. Reliability and FE have been beat to death.  So, anyone doing research on the C-Max will likely account for those two factors in their purchase decision.  

But just as important is Ford's heavily discounting of new ones now and throughout the sale of MY2013s.  For example, when I purchased my SEL in Dec. 2012, MSRP including destination was $29,240 (only option was ext. protection package).  X-Plan pricing brought my cash price down to $27,950.  Taking into account the $1000 incentive at that time plus the $1000 brochure Private Cash Offer, I ended up paying $25,950 + taxes and fees

KBB shows my SEL with 19k miles at $20,329.  That's a drop of about 22% in value which I do not consider unusual for the 1st year of ownership. I would have no issues selling my car for $20k now if I wanted to get rid of it.

Very early adopters that paid about sticker of course will see a larger drop in value.  

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

My Energi list for $25,500.00........ No way I would sell it.

It it's nice to know I can get about what I paid for it :happy feet:  less taxes, rebates, incentives and plates ;)

It's a great car and I enjoy driving it. Way better than the turd Toyota, I owned for 90 days :spend:

Edited by drdiesel1

Ouch... the day I bought my C-Max, I could sell it private party for $2k more than what I paid for it. Now it's 3k less. That's still better than most new vehicle purchases. Hell some people pay more than a car is worth buying it used! Like whatever sucker bought the Windstar I turned down for my wife in town that was $2500 over NADA value. 

It sort of makes me wish I'd waited a few more weeks and looked into discounts on new 2013's instead of buying one with low miles. I did get a CPO warranty car so that is a bonus. 

Regardless, it's a great vehicle, and we get more than double the fuel economy of the Windstar. If I could only convince the wifey not to drive on the highway to work she'd probably get 50 mpg. 

I like Fords. I switched to them for good reasons after I ended up with one in a trade years ago. I bought one new. I'll never do that again. It's how goofy the world is. Fords have crap for resale value. The company gets slammed on every car they make except Mustangs and F-150s. It never fails. Honda can build a total POS transmission like the 5 spd that plagued Odysseys for 4 years, and nobody says anything. Ford gets bad press over cupholders that get stuck to cups and disappear. That's why I only buy gently used Fords now. I know they are good cars, but it's just financially responsible. No offense intended to anyone who bought new. I've done it too. I also made a bunch of money off Ford when the other 2 US makers crashed and burned. Ford went down to $1.15 per share- and globally they made hundreds of millions in profit that year. People are stupid when it comes to Ford. That's all the more better for Ford fans like us. Sure, the C-Max might not have the typical fuel economy of the Prius. If fuel economy was everything to everyone, then ok, the Prius would win. There's much more to cars than fuel economy or resale value. The Prius lost IMO. 

My last car was 10 years old (but with only 105,000 miles on it) when I sold it to get the C-MAX.  There would have to be some big changes in the model, or some other car that I would consider superior before I would sell or trade.  Never say never, but I plan to keep and drive my C-MAX for at least 70,000 to 100,000 miles.  I got the extended warranty and tire warranty to 125,000.

Maybe our resale value is low because there are plenty of cars out there that will get 38 mpg highway even when its cold and they cost less than $20K and they're 600 pounds lighter.

And then there's the reliability thing.  

And maybe people might be embarrassed to own something that was so grossly misrepresented by the manufacturer.

I quoted kbb.com on the private party resale value of my cmax, and is only $18,329 as of 1/24/2014, its barely been a year and 3 months and its already down by $10k in value more than 35% lost value, the purchase price on the car for me was $28k, not counting tax, fees and all the other stuff. 

But you didn't buy a new CMax from a private owner.  Try looking at KBB's used price from a dealer not the private party number.  Need to compare apples to apples.  I agree that an SE isn't going to hold value compared to a better equipped SEL.

Secondly, I looked at new 2013 Mazda 3's still on the lot locally and a base model sells for a discounted $18.5k so getting $17k used, private party would be a long shot; a very long shot. 

Thirdly, gas prices are low (under $3/gallon here) so now's the time to buy a hybrid not sell.  

• 2 months later...

I don't have the option to select my Energi under 2014 but for 2013 the dealer price comes out to a little over $25k. Considering I paid $27k for it I don't think thats too bad. I think the reason for the low resale value is because KBB doesn't know how to price a vehicle like this yet and it just goes off of a very limited set of listings that are currently out there. After a few years I would imagine it would have resale values similar to any other Ford product.

Hogwash!  Resale prices are all about Supply versus Demand, Simple!  All this (negativity) in regards to the C-Max and Consumer Reports bashings....how many have you seen available on the Auction Block or on Dealers Lots?  Near Zero!  You would figure that 90% of first year Buyers would be trading their Ford C-Max`s  in mass due to their unreliability and Battery issues? Not!

Hogwash!  Resale prices are all about Supply versus Demand, Simple!  All this (negativity) in regards to the C-Max and Consumer Reports bashings....how many have you seen available on the Auction Block or on Dealers Lots?  Near Zero!  You would figure that 90% of first year Buyers would be trading their Ford C-Max`s  in mass due to their unreliability and Battery issues? Not!

Double hogwash!!  :) 

In the macro sense, supply / demand of all cars in total will affect used car prices.  But on a micro level, a used C-Max is not a commodity as there are other brand alternatives or even a new C-Max as options.  The concept of alternative choices - substitution effect applies.  

Also, why would someone trade in their perfectly good C-Max simply because a few owners have experienced more issues with their car than other makes and thus their model has a lower rating  than other cars. There is no basis to expect 90% (or  5%) of first year Buyers would be trading in their C-Max in mass because of issues and that there be a lot of used C-Maxes for sale. Resale value of a C-Max is what someone is willing to pay for it whether supply is one unit or 100 units. If you need a car, there is a significant number of choices in the used car market besides a C-Max - consumers have free choice to pick what they deem to be the best value taking into account factors important to them.  If you need a 100,000 barrels of crude, you will pay market price which is driven by supply / demand expectations - you don't have a choice.

Also, it easy to scoff at the battery issue until it happens to you. ;)  

• 4 weeks later...

Resale is as others have described:  Perception and number of similar vehicles in the market, plus whatever the manufacturer has done to move inventories.

Just wen through this:  3 years ago leased a Hyundai Genesis for the wife, 3 yr/36K deal.  Was a nice vehicle, but needs do change....

When we looked to replace it, looked at what value we could get trading it, as actual mileage was around 20K.  OOPS...Hyundai had been blasting out $2500-4500 rebates, to move 2013 and 2104 models, as a 2015 totally redesigned model was in the pipeline.

Bottom line, even though lower miles, the car was not even worth the residual that was in the contract.  When I leased, the 2012s were new and in scarce supply, so residuals were higher.  Looks like setting lease residuals is like the craps table in Las Vegas.  

This past week, I handed in the car and the keys and walked away......Happy to be driving the Cmax again, and should be for a long time!

Weak demand, judging by how new C-Max sales have slowed. Plus, the two headlines that will come up when someone Googles the car will likely relate to either its fuel economy kerfuffle or its JD Power quality ranking, both of which render it something of a punchline to the uninitiated. It's a great car, but time will tell if Ford chooses to reinvest in its image or drop it from the lineup.

Hey Jus, don't call the lovely Maxine "Lemon".  She has been a good car--it's the a**hole driver that hit you that caused all the grief.

ps between u and me and lets keep this our secret, Maxine is the best ever car & most reliable. I would never mean MY GIRL a real LEMON. Ever ;)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax