So, everything was fine for nearly 48,000 miles and then..............

Recumpence

I agree about matching injectors. I have to consider replacing the others too......

So, Max is home. It feels soooooo good having it back! The body shop detailed the car. It even smells new again. There must have been a layer of grud blocking the new car smell.   :)

It is so good to be back to driving a high mileage car. 20 degrees and 49.3mpg on my 30 miles of errands today. Gotta love this car.   :)

Oh, we are now shopping for a car for my wife. She needs all wheel drive (she does a huge amount of snow driving). So, we are considering an Escape or possibly a Subaru. We shall see. We will be shopping for her car this month.

Matt

We're getting a bit off topic, but Consumer Reports, Feb., 2014, really likes the Subaru Forester.

Awd does make a huge difference in the snow no matter what anyone says. It does not make getting stuck impossible. But it increases margin quite a bit.

I sure liked my 2006 F250 4X4 in the snow and ice and I never got stuck. I'm sure the operator behind the wheel has something to do about it. :)

The real question, Paul, is if you ever needed the 4x4 to get you out of something you would never have gotten into without it? In my experience, AWD gives a false sense of security. Mashing the gas without wheel spin makes you think you can steer and brake, too! You can't, but that's not obvious until it's too late.

I've been passed by many a 4x4 in snow storms, only to find them in the ditch up ahead. One even did it right in front of me; we're both driving straight, and the next thing I know, he's fishtailing... fishitailing... slowing down... regaining control and fading in my rear view. This on a completely empty (and closed)  I-81, just south of Syracuse. My only challenge that trip (besides drifting around the on-ramp) was VISIBILITY. Plenty of traction (first set of Michelin X-ice), no issues with snow depth, just that maddening view of snowflakes flying at you... Gone in the C-Max. Wonderful car for snow!

HAve fun,

Frank

The real question, Paul, is if you ever needed the 4x4 to get you out of something you would never have gotten into without it? In my experience, AWD gives a false sense of security. Mashing the gas without wheel spin makes you think you can steer and brake, too! You can't, but that's not obvious until it's too late.

I've been passed by many a 4x4 in snow storms, only to find them in the ditch up ahead. One even did it right in front of me; we're both driving straight, and the next thing I know, he's fishtailing... fishitailing... slowing down... regaining control and fading in my rear view. This on a completely empty (and closed)  I-81, just south of Syracuse. My only challenge that trip (besides drifting around the on-ramp) was VISIBILITY. Plenty of traction (first set of Michelin X-ice), no issues with snow depth, just that maddening view of snowflakes flying at you... Gone in the C-Max. Wonderful car for snow!

HAve fun,

Frank

I know what you are saying having lived in Flagstaff for 25 years but I never got stuck in a 4X4, but I pulled 2 and 4 wheel drives out though. It's all about being careful or not going out if it's to bad. :)

Paul

HAve fun,

Frank

If anyone driving around the Syracuse area says that the C-MAX is good in the snow, it must be! I went to SU for a while, and we had deep, lasting snow all winter long. Plus, there are steep hills all over the place.

I remember seeing the plow truck driving down the streets in October, stopping every fifty yards or so to hammer tall, fluorescent painted PVC pipes into the ground. I soon learned that the snow gets so deep that they put those in before winter, so that they plow drivers can find the roads that they are to plow!  Now, that's snow!

Edited by ScubaDadMiami