Strange, long wooooo sound at steady speeds, ICE on

Alex Sams

Well, cause for mine found. Turns out the tires had not been properly rotated. I called the dealership I bought the car from out on this, they gave me four new tires. 

No noise. 

anaphora68,

Thanks for sharing the great news; I’m glad to learn that the dealer resolved your concern.  :) 

Well, still not 100% positive, but last week while it was still cold, they had done a lot of troubleshooting at the dealership and found that potentially the liquid filled motor mounts were the issue.  That when cold, that liquid did not cushion the vibration of the engine as they are intended to do and instead, they stiffened up and caused transfer of that vibration to the rest of the car where it was amplified by the noise cancellation system (apparently there was a nearly identical issue with a different model car a couple years ago)...

Jenie Benson,

Please continue to keep us in the loop, and I’ll be here if you need me to update your file!  :) 

Tricia 

Got my car back Monday evening.  They replaced the passenger side engine mount with some kind of slightly different one that is actually for a Focus and was supposed to resolve a similar issue that car had a few years back.  However, it's unseasonably warm here now and no one is able to test for the symptoms of the problem due to the lack of freezing weather.  It wasn't even cold enough early this morning when I left for work. I could hear what I thought sounded like the same frequency slightly as I was driving, however it can be hard to tell with all the other traffic noise.  If it doesn't get good and cold for a few more days, we may not be able to know until winter if this is fixed and my husband isn't inclined to wait and depreciate the value of the vehicle with more miles while we wait (since we already had to wait a year to get someone to finally acknowledge the problem and already depreciated it enough).

Got a follow up call from the regional Ford guy yesterday.  Slightly laughable. He was following up now that my car had been "repaired".  I had to correct him several times to let him know that I don't consider it "repaired" until it is tested and proven, even though the work order is completed. He offered a choice of some freebies from Ford that do little to no good at cushioning the blow of the crap I've gone through with this car so far.  A maintenance package that covers oil changes and tire rotations - no thanks, this car is getting me 8-9K on each oil change and I'm married to a mechanic who can rotate my tires at home for free (or I could do it myself) and oil changes at home are not expensive or hard either - so what that would get me about $70 a year off of maintenance for the next 3 years, hardly compensation.  Or he offered a Premium Care Extended Warranty until 75K miles.  Well, I already bought the extended warranty until 100K miles offered by the dealership at the time I got the car, so that isn't really gonna do me any good either. Apparently those were the options from his pre-approved short list of freebies for customer service issues. I was not impressed. 

I will be going to the dealership in the next week to get copies of all the paperwork, etc related to the laundry list of things the car has been in for over the past year and a half under warranty to start drafting the letter for buy-back. I've had to waste far too much of my time and extra gas money, etc trying to get the car fixed and the whole reason I bought the car was to have something much more reliable than the ones I'd had before, not to be in and out of the shop all winter.

If Ford wants to keep me driving their latest and greatest technology in a car I love (by the way I love this car and it is not an easy decision to decide that I am at the point of asking for buy back) then I suggest they offer to buy this one back for what I paid for it (given the issue surfaced after I had put on only 800 miles) so I can purchase the newer version that I hope has more of the bugs worked out.  Though I might wait until winter and a cold day to test drive it to ensure it's not got the same cold weather issue as this one did. And even then, I will have the strange request that the dealership leave it outside on the lot overnight to get nice and cold since I think I may have known this car had an issue if it hadn't been parked on the showroom floor up until shortly before I test drove it. It's killing me that this had to be the year spring decided to come all at once and is showing no signs of slowing down.  In a normal year, we'd still be waiting for the snow to finish melting and it would get cold enough each night to test the car in the morning.  The snow is gone and the puddles absorbed into the ground already.

This morning was 27 degrees and was apparently cold enough to test things out.  The car is not fixed. The noise and vibration persists. I ran to the dealer quick as soon as it acted up to have them verify and write up a work order stating that (since part of my problem has been having someone at the dealership actually verify in the past, I wanted it recorded immediately that though they worked on it for weeks, it was not fixed so Ford can't fight me on "maybe it's fixed" - verifyable NOT fixed).  I've decided I'm done messing around with this car. I got my service history printed out and will be drafting a letter to Ford to initiate buy back.  I hate that I have to do this, but I simply can't justify the kind of money car costs to have to be in to the shop a large portion of the cold days and still not have it fixed, nor anyone have a clue what's causing it. It's more trouble than it's worth when it was supposed to be peace of mind for daily transportation along with great mileage. I'll just have to find something else I like that gets great mileage cause I'm not convinced that if I got another of this model of a newer build that I wouldn't just start the headaches over when it's cold again.

So the letter to Ford will be sent asking them to take the car back and refund the entire purchase price of the car (along with taxes and fees, etc and the gap insurance and extended warranty as well since I won't get a chance to use any of those things). Not sure at this point what I might get in replacement.  This thing gets such excellent gas mileage, I'm going to be hard pressed to find something anywhere near it.  I average 50 mpg over the course of the year (I get a lot of electric miles in the summer to offset lower winter mileage). It's disappointing that Ford hasn't stepped up their game already to make this right. Far too many visits for the same issue, far too many visits in general for warranty related items in the first year of ownership, far too little attention paid to my complaints by the dealership until I played hardball, and the only thing I've been offered in compensation so far are 20 days to choose from one of two service or warranty packages that really aren't worth all that much to me. I'm prepared that they are gonna stall and balk and try to bully me into keeping the car - as corporations are want to do. The more they do that, the less I'm apt to purchase a different Ford once this situation is resolved.  I don't think it's a bad brand, or a bad dealership, but this is a bad car / a lemon - which is why the law here in MN related to buy back is called the "Lemon Law". Guess we'll see just what kind of company Ford is once the paperwork is sent in.

This morning was 27 degrees and was apparently cold enough to test things out.  The car is not fixed. The noise and vibration persists. I ran to the dealer quick as soon as it acted up to have them verify and write up a work order stating that (since part of my problem has been having someone at the dealership actually verify in the past, I wanted it recorded immediately that though they worked on it for weeks, it was not fixed so Ford can't fight me on "maybe it's fixed" - verifyable NOT fixed).  I've decided I'm done messing around with this car. I got my service history printed out and will be drafting a letter to Ford to initiate buy back.  I hate that I have to do this, but I simply can't justify the kind of money car costs to have to be in to the shop a large portion of the cold days and still not have it fixed, nor anyone have a clue what's causing it. It's more trouble than it's worth when it was supposed to be peace of mind for daily transportation along with great mileage. I'll just have to find something else I like that gets great mileage cause I'm not convinced that if I got another of this model of a newer build that I wouldn't just start the headaches over when it's cold again.

So the letter to Ford will be sent asking them to take the car back and refund the entire purchase price of the car (along with taxes and fees, etc and the gap insurance and extended warranty as well since I won't get a chance to use any of those things). Not sure at this point what I might get in replacement.  This thing gets such excellent gas mileage, I'm going to be hard pressed to find something anywhere near it.  I average 50 mpg over the course of the year (I get a lot of electric miles in the summer to offset lower winter mileage). It's disappointing that Ford hasn't stepped up their game already to make this right. Far too many visits for the same issue, far too many visits in general for warranty related items in the first year of ownership, far too little attention paid to my complaints by the dealership until I played hardball, and the only thing I've been offered in compensation so far are 20 days to choose from one of two service or warranty packages that really aren't worth all that much to me. I'm prepared that they are gonna stall and balk and try to bully me into keeping the car - as corporations are want to do. The more they do that, the less I'm apt to purchase a different Ford once this situation is resolved.  I don't think it's a bad brand, or a bad dealership, but this is a bad car / a lemon - which is why the law here in MN related to buy back is called the "Lemon Law". Guess we'll see just what kind of company Ford is once the paperwork is sent in.

I think you have been very deliberate and considerate in working this matter. Best of luck. I would do the same if they didn't fix it - an electric/hybrid car simply must have good connections, and obviously something isn't right on yours.

This morning was 27 degrees and was apparently cold enough to test things out.  The car is not fixed. The noise and vibration persists...

Thanks for the update, Jenie Benson.

Let me know when you're ready to get this escalated, and I'll send your case over.

Tricia

Edited by FordService

Our dealer replaced all three of the headliner microphones on the 16th. It took them a little more than a day, they gave me a rental over the two days. I do not think the problem is fixed. Have heard the noise several times since then, not as loud but it has been warmer lately and it seems to occur most often at outside temps of 25 to 35 degrees.  Possible we will have cooler temps early next week and I can confirm for sure, but I'm going to report the problem not fixed next week.

Jenie Benson, Ford should be glad to have your car, they can send it to Dearborn and analyze it to their hearts content.

• 3 weeks later...

We bought our Max in June last year. It made the loud wooo noise a few times in 80 degree weather. Right around the time we had the woo noises the car after sitting all day in a parking lot refused to start the fault was high temp warning on the high voltage battery system. The dealership adjusted something in the programming and I've never had either problem since. We just went through one of the harshest winters I've seen in upstate NY in alot of years. And neither me, or the wife,  heard the noise. But we are getting slight to moderate vibrations at various low rpms. Which I'll be taking the car in to look at. The car only has about 7500 miles on it.

I had a call from Jeff, the regional Ford guy last week. I told the dealer and him that even after replacing the three microphones, the Wooo is still Woooing. Very dissapointing. He said there is nothing they can do unless the service department can actually reproduce the noise.  So far, Murphys Law has been effective. Putting a dealer mechanic in the car suppresses the noise and the weather is now warmer than the car's optimum temperature for bringing it out. I may have to wait until next fall to take it in again.

I'm beginning to believe that the car somehow senses that my wife hates it and only makes the Wooo when she is in the passenger seat. I'd really like to know if the noise cancellation algorithym changes when somebody is sitting in the passenger seat. Ford Engineering doesn't seem to know how this thing works - I suspect it is OEM'ed from somewhere. From my googling, it looks like some Land Rovers use the same processor.

We bought our Max in June last year. It made the loud wooo noise a few times in 80 degree weather. Right around the time we had the woo noises the car after sitting all day in a parking lot refused to start the fault was high temp warning on the high voltage battery system. The dealership adjusted something in the programming and I've never had either problem since. We just went through one of the harshest winters I've seen in upstate NY in alot of years. And neither me, or the wife,  heard the noise. But we are getting slight to moderate vibrations at various low rpms. Which I'll be taking the car in to look at. The car only has about 7500 miles on it.

Your C-Max was just wooing you to capture your heart, weebee! ;) I'm happy that the honeymoon period's in full swing. Do you have an appointment already set up for the vibrations? I'll be glad to check out some options to keep this a happy union. :)

I had a call from Jeff, the regional Ford guy last week. I told the dealer and him that even after replacing the three microphones, the Wooo is still Woooing. Very dissapointing. He said there is nothing they can do unless the service department can actually reproduce the noise.  So far, Murphys Law has been effective. Putting a dealer mechanic in the car suppresses the noise and the weather is now warmer than the car's optimum temperature for bringing it out. I may have to wait until next fall to take it in again.

I'm beginning to believe that the car somehow senses that my wife hates it and only makes the Wooo when she is in the passenger seat. I'd really like to know if the noise cancellation algorithym changes when somebody is sitting in the passenger seat. Ford Engineering doesn't seem to know how this thing works - I suspect it is OEM'ed from somewhere. From my googling, it looks like some Land Rovers use the same processor.

Hi wb8nbs,

If you decide to try again with your dealer, or seek a second opinion at another, please let me know. I can reach back out to your CSM to see how we can silence your woes about the woos.

Meagan

Edited by FordService

Your C-Max was just wooing you to capture your heart, weebee! ;) I'm happy that the honeymoon period's in full swing. Do you have an appointment already set up for the vibrations? I'll be glad to check out some options to keep this a happy union. :)

Hi wb8nbs,

If you decide to try again with your dealer, or seek a second opinion at another, please let me know. I can reach back out to your CSM to see how we can silence your woes about the woos.

Meagan

No, I haven't yet. I'm on some crazy hours at work at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...

I just read through this entire thread since my 2013 suffers from the same noise at an exact range of 2300 to 2500 rpm. The dealer dismissed my concerns but it felt like something is wrong and this thread confirms it.

I'm wondering is this only isolated to 2013 models? And is it specific to the higher trims like SEL and Energi. Could the panoramic roof mess with the ANC?

I also wanted to note that even in the warm weather right now it still occurs. It was 16C this morning (Canada) and I had it going twice. Exactly like the mp3 that was posted in this thread.

Lastly has anyone had it fully fixed yet? Is it even fixable?

Thanks for any updates and a big thanks to Jenie for her detailed posts. Have you found a resolution?

Edited by SillyBear

I just read through this entire thread since my 2013 suffers from the same noise at an exact range of 2300 to 2500 rpm. The dealer dismissed my concerns but it felt like something is wrong and this thread confirms it.

I'm wondering is this only isolated to 2013 models? And is it specific to the higher trims like SEL and Energi. Could the panoramic roof mess with the ANC?

I also wanted to note that even in the warm weather right now it still occurs. It was 16C this morning (Canada) and I had it going twice. Exactly like the mp3 that was posted in this thread.

Lastly has anyone had it fully fixed yet? Is it even fixable?

Thanks for any updates and a big thanks to Jenie for her detailed posts. Have you found a resolution?

I responded to your other post, SillyBear. Check it out here

Mariel 

No resolution on my car, in fact some of the things they tried to make the noise go away actually disabled parts of the hands free system.  Now when I'm cruising with the ICE engaged and I need to talk to the hands free system the car says "I'm sorry, I didn't get that" and asks me the question again.  It can't call people from my phone book anymore and when I ask it to read text messages received after it alerts me, it doesn't understand what I've asked for and hangs up on me. I can't talk to people using hands free either, even if I can dial the phone cause when using blue tooth with hands free, my voice is garbled to the person on the other end when the hands free is on.

I've given up hope that Ford can fix my car.  I don't have the time to allow them to experiment on my vehicle any more and since the issue only happens in cold weather, we are stuck until it gets cold again with nothing anyone can do. I will be filing MN Lemon Law this summer in hopes to be rid of this frustration before the winter rears it's head again.  (someone from Ford on here who said they could help me, please PM me with where I send my letter requesting buy back cause I'm in the process of writing it). 

2 winters of this issue with the first winter being told "hybrids make extra noises" and no one believing me because they couldn't replicate it and the second finally getting them to acknowledge the problem and then spending a lot of time with Detroit being convinced it was the active noise cancelling system and fiddling with that only to break that and my hands free system without so much as touching the actual issue and the dealership getting creative (to which I thank them for their effort, regardless of how fruitless) and then running out of cold before anyone had any real answers and I'm just done paying this much money for a car that is unbearable in the winter when cruising on the interstate due to a headache inducing noise and vibration. Sad to say, but I can't keep this car.  If anyone ever figures out what the real issue is, I might buy one again, but I'm swearing off hybrids for now and going back to a regular gas engine that the mechanics know more about. As soon as I'm free from this burden, I'm car shopping for something that won't be quite as great as this car (I really do love the way it drives/handles and it's cute as a button), but that I won't have to be embarrased about and feel cheated on the payments over.

...(someone from Ford on here who said they could help me, please PM me with where I send my letter requesting buy back cause I'm in the process of writing it)...

Hi Jenie,

I can look into this for you. Please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

Thanks for the update jenie. I was hopeful that maybe it was just the ANC in my car (I know they beat yours to death) but after hearing it today in warm temperatures with my widows down, I'm starting to doubt it's involved. My next steps are to relive fuse 22 and ask another opinion at the other ford dealer.

No resolution on my car, in fact some of the things they tried to make the noise go away actually disabled parts of the hands free system.  Now when I'm cruising with the ICE engaged and I need to talk to the hands free system the car says "I'm sorry, I didn't get that" and asks me the question again.  It can't call people from my phone book anymore and when I ask it to read text messages received after it alerts me, it doesn't understand what I've asked for and hangs up on me. I can't talk to people using hands free either, even if I can dial the phone cause when using blue tooth with hands free, my voice is garbled to the person on the other end when the hands free is on.

I've given up hope that Ford can fix my car.  I don't have the time to allow them to experiment on my vehicle any more and since the issue only happens in cold weather, we are stuck until it gets cold again with nothing anyone can do. I will be filing MN Lemon Law this summer in hopes to be rid of this frustration before the winter rears it's head again.  (someone from Ford on here who said they could help me, please PM me with where I send my letter requesting buy back cause I'm in the process of writing it). 

2 winters of this issue with the first winter being told "hybrids make extra noises" and no one believing me because they couldn't replicate it and the second finally getting them to acknowledge the problem and then spending a lot of time with Detroit being convinced it was the active noise cancelling system and fiddling with that only to break that and my hands free system without so much as touching the actual issue and the dealership getting creative (to which I thank them for their effort, regardless of how fruitless) and then running out of cold before anyone had any real answers and I'm just done paying this much money for a car that is unbearable in the winter when cruising on the interstate due to a headache inducing noise and vibration. Sad to say, but I can't keep this car.  If anyone ever figures out what the real issue is, I might buy one again, but I'm swearing off hybrids for now and going back to a regular gas engine that the mechanics know more about. As soon as I'm free from this burden, I'm car shopping for something that won't be quite as great as this car (I really do love the way it drives/handles and it's cute as a button), but that I won't have to be embarrased about and feel cheated on the payments over.

Did you pull the fuses for the ANC? If the noise goes away, that would be definitive.

Did you pull the fuses for the ANC? If the noise goes away, that would be definitive.

Definative to tell us what?  Yes, the dealership pulled Fuse 22.  Yes the car did not make an ungodly amount of noise or vibration while the fuse was out.  However, we could still hear the same pitch while at those RPMs which led the tech and service writer and myself to believe that the ANC was amplifying a noise that the car was making at those RPMs, but no one could figure out where those noises were coming from exactly to be able to determine if there was something that needed replacing to prevent a future failure of a defective part.  The dealership tried a few things and found that when they jammed a piece of 2x4 under one of the hydraulic motor mounts that the sound changed, so they thought it was that motor mount causing the noise that was being amplified.  So they switched that mount with one that is technically not even for this car.  No dice, noise was still there the next time it was cold enough to test it.  You can't just pull the fuse and call it good, that disables other stuff in the car like most of the speakers for the stereo and the hands free stuff for phone and navigation etc.  I have detailed nearly everything done to my car to date on this forum.  I was rather persistent and the dealership spent a lot of time on it (more than I think most people's dealerships have spent so far), but the problem has not been fixed.  I can't justify paying Ford to be their guinea pig.  I was willing to spend this kind of money on a car with the expectation that if there was something major wrong with it, they would fix it in a timely manner.  More than a year (or 2 winter seasons) is not timely.  I don't want to keep driving this car and wear out the factory warranty on it or keep putting on miles and depreciating it only to find out there was something actually defective that is major to the car that is causing this (like a transmission or something very $$) and be stuck paying for it later when Ford should have fixed it now.  I decided a couple months ago I probably needed to make a clean break from this car and move on.  Ford can do whatever they want with this car once they buy it back, but they've lost me as a hybrid customer.  My confidence that they know their car inside and out is shot since they have not been able to fix it.  So I'll be going back to a standard gas engine car for a bit more peace of mind - tried and tested technology that's been around more than a couple years.

Definative to tell us what?  Yes, the dealership pulled Fuse 22.  Yes the car did not make an ungodly amount of noise or vibration while the fuse was out.  However, we could still hear the same pitch while at those RPMs which led the tech and service writer and myself to believe that the ANC was amplifying a noise that the car was making at those RPMs, but no one could figure out where those noises were coming from exactly to be able to determine if there was something that needed replacing to prevent a future failure of a defective part.  The dealership tried a few things and found that when they jammed a piece of 2x4 under one of the hydraulic motor mounts that the sound changed, so they thought it was that motor mount causing the noise that was being amplified.  So they switched that mount with one that is technically not even for this car.  No dice, noise was still there the next time it was cold enough to test it.  You can't just pull the fuse and call it good, that disables other stuff in the car like most of the speakers for the stereo and the hands free stuff for phone and navigation etc.  I have detailed nearly everything done to my car to date on this forum.  I was rather persistent and the dealership spent a lot of time on it (more than I think most people's dealerships have spent so far), but the problem has not been fixed.  I can't justify paying Ford to be their guinea pig.  I was willing to spend this kind of money on a car with the expectation that if there was something major wrong with it, they would fix it in a timely manner.  More than a year (or 2 winter seasons) is not timely.  I don't want to keep driving this car and wear out the factory warranty on it or keep putting on miles and depreciating it only to find out there was something actually defective that is major to the car that is causing this (like a transmission or something very $$) and be stuck paying for it later when Ford should have fixed it now.  I decided a couple months ago I probably needed to make a clean break from this car and move on.  Ford can do whatever they want with this car once they buy it back, but they've lost me as a hybrid customer.  My confidence that they know their car inside and out is shot since they have not been able to fix it.  So I'll be going back to a standard gas engine car for a bit more peace of mind - tried and tested technology that's been around more than a couple years.

Hey, no offense meant. If the noise continued when the fuse was pulled, then it is not the ANC causing the problem. That is the "definitive" part - not the ANC. If I understand you correctly, the noice was less without ANC.

The ANC is designed to cancel out noises from the engine, so Ford could build it lighter, with less sound deadening components. This sounds like an ANC problem. I'm assuming they replaced the microphones in the vehicle, that would be the next thing to check.

But if it is going to bother you, I won't make any more suggestions...

They exhausted all suggestions related to ANC and the issue persists. At this point I am giving up due to lack of confidence they have any idea what is wrong. I think they should have offered to replace my car already, but they haven't which leads me to believe that ford thinks I should just put up with it, but that is a pretty expensive annoyance for your average consumer.