Dealership Broke My Car

asb

Sorry I've been MIA from the group for awhile.  I've just been too busy to spend much time online.  Unfortunately, I have need of you all now.

I took the C-Max in for an oil change and tire rotation today.  It's at around 19,000 + miles.  The mechanic didn't tighten the nuts on one of the tires all the way so when he drove it out of the garage, the front driver side tire fell off and that end of the car hit the ground.  They will pay for all repairs and for my rental car.  However, is there anything else I should think about?  Visually, the bumper is crushed and the fender over the wheel well is frayed.  

I wanted to ask the more car savvy folks here about what else I need to talk to the manager about.

Two thoughts...

The tech didn't forget to tighten the lug nuts, he forgot the lug nuts. In my autocrossing days, I'd change tires twice/event. On occassion, I's forget to torque all the lug bolts (it's a BMW) and the worst that ever happened in competition was a lost run. I could tell right away things were loose, but I never lost a wheel. This wheel fell off driving out of the garage... no lug nuts.

Get a transferable extended warranty. The dealer owes you, and it gives you something to fall back on if problems crop up down the road, or for resale.

HAve fun,

Frank

Someone started a thread about having $2000 damage because they hit, I think, a curb and the steering was messed up.  I was surprised that was so expensive.  As a teen I ran over a curb wtih all four wheels and only damage was 4 bent rims, 2 wheels had to be replaced.  So I would make sure the steering was OK.

Edited by obob

Two thoughts...

The tech didn't forget to tighten the lug nuts, he forgot the lug nuts. In my autocrossing days, I'd change tires twice/event. On occassion, I's forget to torque all the lug bolts (it's a BMW) and the worst that ever happened in competition was a lost run. I could tell right away things were loose, but I never lost a wheel. This wheel fell off driving out of the garage... no lug nuts.

Get a transferable extended warranty. The dealer owes you, and it gives you something to fall back on if problems crop up down the road, or for resale.

HAve fun,

Frank

I like idea of using this as an opportunity to get a REALLY good deal on an extended warrantee.  They do kind of owe you.

Edited by obob

Makes me wonder what damage I could have done to my Maxus.  On one occasion I literately drove into and over a concrete end cap of a center divider.  Another time wasn't playing attention while petting my dog and Maxus wandered out of the lane I was in and ran into and up onto a curb and back down on the road.  Lastly in a parking lot turned right into a row of parking spaces and mis-judged the curb and drove up on it and over with the right rear.  Other than scraping the black plasti-coat paint off the wheel at the tire bead, everything seems fine.  Alignment pulls a little to the right...Geez! I wonder why?  I'm such a dork behind the wheel, somebody needs to take my smart key away.

• 4 months later...

Great idea about the insurance.and if they balk or say no, contact Ford corporate and demand it. Or take them to court. They are lucky to get off so easy.

They could be looking at a wrongful death suit if you had an accident on the freeway and something really bad had happened.

Edited by salsaguy