13C07: Re-configure instrument panel cluster module.

Well, here's what happened. SYNC was updated, and up to date, so were all the other recalls in the car except this new one. The dealer whom I bought the car from didn't enter the information in Oasis, but a Ford corporate rep whom this dealer called could see that it had been done. Then Ford's rep allowed my dealer to upload the latest software update, and install it on my car. 

I picked the car up, and when the rep left it in the service lane for me- the first thing I noticed was a message on the MFT that said "Your update is now complete, so you can remove your USB drive now". There was no USB drive installed. I was still in a hurry to get back so the wifey could go to work- it was 5pm by then, she had to be in at 5:30pm. I shut the car off, turned it back on, and got the normal screen. I thought everything was ok, so I drove off. At the next stoplight I tried to fix the clock. I pressed and pressed, and nothing happened. Then I tried to go back to home screen, and got Navigation. Again, the touch screen was not working correctly. 

When I got home, I made the wife drive the Windstar to work because I was afraid that the climate control- which was off for my drive- might not work. I called the service guy, but there's no way I can go back in tonight. He told me to disconnect the battery and see if it goes away. I can't do that tonight, but I will after my daughter goes to bed. I wanted to check the battery terminals anyway. 

I also noticed that the #1 USB port seems loose now when it was tight before. That might be nothing, but I'll find out tomorrow. If the battery reset doesn't work, then I'll bring that up to the service advisor when I return. If the USB port doesn't work, or I have problems then I'll definitely bring that up to him. 

Never take a car in for service on Friday. I should know better. 

Edited by Alex Sams

OK, disconnected the 12v battery for 10 mins or so. I'm not getting the USB drive message this time. However, the MFT is totally screwed. Push Entertainment- get Navigation. Push Climate- get Phone. Push Phone, get Climate. I assume that I push Navigation to get Entertainment. The fun part is when you actually get a screen to come up- like the Climate screen for example, then you can push something on one side of the screen, and the exact opposite side of the screen accepts the answer. Like if you want to turn up the temp on the driver's side, you actually turn up the temp on the passenger side. I had fun playing with it for a minute until I figured it out. 

It's a screw up. 

Rebecca. I'm going to send you a PM, they might want to wait on that software update for a little longer, it seems that there's a simple mistake made here. 

Thanks... but unfortunately it's not working on my car like that. Maybe it has something to do with the update. I've tried it using the >> button and the Tune+ button, and << to no avail. I even counted to 25. Maybe it will be different in the morning, but the inverted screen sucks. I'm tired of messing with it tonight. 

Thanks again!

"but the inverted screen sucks"

Ours had the inverted screen....You haven't got to the hard part yet.

I found this somewhere???

" recalibrate touch screen by, pressing eject and seek up buttons at same time and hold.

Screen will go black and white and a speaker walk around test will start,

Press end on that test, Press apim diag selection at top left, then select touch screen calibration, touch cross at all corners as instructed then touch screen again when done to return to diagnositic menu. Then press exit diag menu."

Because you screen is upside down you have to do the recal upside down.

After the 2nd failure I stood on my head...it worked.

Keep trying and good luck

wab

OPERATOR ERROR... That's what the problem was. I wasn't pushing both locations at the same time. While you were searching this site, I was searching the internet- and found a similar discussion on a Ford Explorer site about MFT with the Sony system. OK, but they wrote: press the eject button, then within 1-2 seconds press the >>| on the dial.

That doesn't work.

It does work if you press both at the same time, and it works in like 3 seconds. The only problem I had was the end game- the screen says press ENTER to keep the new settings, and ESC to revert to the old settings. I was completely dumfounded since I didn't have either of those buttons to choose from. I ended up holding EJECT + >>| again until the tone sounded, then I touched on the screen, and that took the white screen off and I went back to the first diagnostic touch screen. 

It works good now, so I can leave the car to the wife. I am a bit upset about the USB port being loose, but if it works- that's ok. 

I'm going to have to explore the rest of diagnostics mode when I get a chance. On a site devoted to Ford Focus', I was able to find a lot of problem diagnosis that could be done using the built-in electronic odometer test function (actual fuel pressure, actual engine temp in deg, battery voltage, etc). I'm sure there are things in this menu that could be useful as the car ages and starts breaking as all things do. Not everyone buys a scan tool, but everyone has problems.