Ford admits touchscreen defeat

Non-mobile version of that page: http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/176936-ford-admits-touchscreen-defeat-puts-the-buttons-and-knobs-back-into-ford-sync

I've not had much to complain about the C-Max controls. All the HVAC controls have buttons and all I normally use for audio is the volume control knob.

Then again, I don't listen to radio (just music from USB flash drive) so maybe there's a problem there.

I'm glad Ford is returning, in part, to more buttons and knobs.

But after reading the linked article, I'm still not sure they get it.  To me, the problem with touch-screen controls, is the need to take your eyes off the road.  I want controls that are tactile so they can be used by feel rather than sight (or sound; e.g. talking to MFT to set the temperature is. IMHO, just silly).

The whole MFT thing came out of Microsoft.  I am hoping they start to engage Apple, and Google and others for more creative user interfaces.  I don't mind the touch screen but you should be able to get where you want with one click.  With discrete controls for HVAC and Radio its one click.

With MFT you have to weave through screens to get where you want.  The same thing applies to voice commands.  That just does not work when your trying to drive.  Its as bad as texting and the people who approved this should be sacked.

I hardly ever resort to actually touching the screen.  I do voice commands for almost everything.

The improvements seem like improvements, to me.  Some things make better sense in knob and button configurations, and those are the ones that are getting changed.

I think it is progress and evolution, not defeat.  The article's title makes it sound like the whole system is being scrapped.

Edited by ScubaDadMiami

Keep in mind that the 2013 C-Max Energy has many 2015 Lincoln features already: redundant manual controls (seat heater, climate radio, etc.), embedded cell, preconditioning and other remote cell app features, for example. Great ideas! That being said, I love the MKC but will only buy a plug-in. The next C-max should be cool.

I luv the touch screen aspect of this, buttons are passe. Look at the phones these days, the S4 and even Apple - the do not need a series of buttons except for the key critical inputs like volume, on/off. IMO, the real issue is the lag & response in the MFT, not the worlds fastest in the world and it sometimes feel like Ford/Micro$oft used some left over Intel 486s inside (and I am being kind not referring to the 386s).,,any day now, any day now. Spiffier graphics always goes well and MFT graphics are average but we've been spoiled with the Apple retina screens & those brilliant Samsung screens that we see in our tablets/smart phones...and then you stare at your $30,000 MFT screen.

Lots of improvements but I hope Ford doesn't go overboard with the buttons. I really don't want a 80s boom box radio with a gazillions buttons either. Plus, I don't see any complaints about the "lack of buttons" in the Tesla tablet interface...oh, they have a spiffy screen ;)

Jus my 2c.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Looks like Sync may be getting a new OS. Probably unlikely that will be installed in existing cars though.

Ford Motor Co. (F:US), struggling with in-car technology glitches, will base the next-generation Sync system on BlackBerry Ltd. (BBRY:US)’s QNX and no longer use Microsoft (MSFT:US) Corp.’s Windows, according to people briefed on the matter.

Using QNX will be less expensive than licensing Microsoft technology and will improve the flexibility and speed of the next Sync system, said the people, who declined to be identified because the decision hasn’t been made public. Ford has more than 7 million vehicles on the road with Sync using Microsoft voice-activated software to make mobile phone calls and play music.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2014-02-22/ford-said-to-swap-blackberry-s-qnx-for-microsoft-in-sync-system

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

Well said Jus, I'll give you three or four cents for that.  I love the balance of touch screen & buttons we have now on our SEL - together with voice command, more than enough options; just needs a speedier touch response & a spiffier screen display someday.

(BTW, when I screw up the voice commands with my raspy operatic voice, my copilot wife waps me out of the way & fixes things with the touch screen ;))   

Edited by C-MaxSea

• 7 months later...