Why no publicity??

Laurel

In Canada there has been almost no publicity on the C-Max Hybrid. There are a handful of C-Max Hybrids at dealers around each Province, but I see no evidence of more cars arriving. When I see a big Ford ad in the big city newspapers, there is absolutely no mention of the 2013 C-Max Hybrid. I am perplexed as I expected to see a big publicity campaign and launch of them in Canada. Are they receiving a big launch and ad campaign in the States? I tried to google to see if they will be launching a campaign soon in Canada, but cannot find anything. What is the hold up? My C-Max is on order since Oct.8th and I have no news at all yet.

As far as I've seen there are two commercials like the one above based on the La Linea character and they've done one West Coast press event. They need to step it up a notch if they want people to learn about this vehicle and why they should choose it over a Prius. They've also done a series of 3 minute shorts called the Hybrid games but they're online only and boring to watch.

Maybe Ford is waiting until they have more product available before firing up the advertising. Just a thought (as I wait impatiently for word of when my ordered Energi will arrive.)

C-Max seem to be scarce here. A quick search of SEL models within a 100 mile radius of me sow only 10.

C-Max seem to be scarce here. A quick search of SEL models within a 100 mile radius of me sow only 10.

In my area, C-max are really showing up, with several on each lot, instead of one or two. Depending on the site I check, there are well over 40 SELs within 100 miles of my zip. But NoVA is well-populated with Prius (including my household), and it's probably a great market for the C-max.

I wondered about the lack of advertising. If I hadn't been waiting for it, would I have been aware the C-max was out there? Did see the line-drawing ad once or twice, but I've seen Escape ads over and over.

I've seen a couple ads on TV so far, so the ads are out there. I wasn't exactly expecting a billion dollar advertising blitz, but I'm sure Ford is dumping a few million into media buys. And if the car sells well in it's first few months, expect that to increase.

Maybe Ford is waiting until after the election season when the airwaves are not as saturated with political ads. Possibly ads cost more in this enviornment, and speaking for myself, I generally skip them more now than at other times. I only saw the C-max ad because I was told about it and checked it out on my Tivo.

• 2 weeks later...

Today in our big city newspaper there was a full page article written by an auto reporter. Headline was "Ten Best Hybrids". Nary a word about the C-Max! I find that down right strange. I sent the writer an email asking why the C-Max was not mentioned. I'll let you know if I get a response. No sightings of any C-Max's in Vancouver, B.C area.

Last weeks area auto show had one that was locked up.. No sign.. No info what so ever... I explained the car to several people looking at it.

Lincoln had a sweet looking 2013 MKZ on display. The Lincoln rep mentioned it would also be available as a hybrid. I asked if it was the same engine as the C-Max.. She told me the C-Max was total

Ford recently stated that the sale of small cars was eating into company profits.. Maybe there is a bigger profit margin on the Fusion.

Last weeks area auto show had one that was locked up.. No sign.. No info what so ever... I explained the car to several people looking at it.

Lincoln had a sweet looking 2013 MKZ on display. The Lincoln rep mentioned it would also be available as a hybrid. I asked if it was the same engine as the C-Max.. She told me the C-Max was total

Ford recently stated that the sale of small cars was eating into company profits.. Maybe there is a bigger profit margin on the Fusion.

According to this Ford factories are at capacity;

http://autos.aol.com/article/ford-c-max-michigan-assembly-Detroit/

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I went to my local Ford dealer last week & asked about the C-Max, the sales critter asked if that was a Ford -  they had 1 SE on the lot, he had never seen one before - granted that was one guy at one dealership but I sure didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling :(

We went into the dealership in October looking at Escapes.  Saw the C-Max, and really liked it.  The salesman didn't seem to know "everything" about it...but was very positive.  We went home, did our own research, went back to the dealer, taught him a few things...LOL, and ordered the car.  Yes, it took 12 weeks to come in..but it was worth it.  And our salesman has become the top C-Max salesman at the dealership...

LizM, That sounds a lot like my experience. I went not expecting to like the C-Max at all....planning on an Escape. First dealership salesman didn't know squat about the C-Max. 2nd dealership salesman knew a little more. We liked it, did online research, and ordered one. Now I forward all info I get to our salesman. I'm very happy with my C-Max.

When I bought mine several months ago the salesman said that they had just had a class from a Ford rep on the C-max, and I suspect that is standard for Ford to get their sales people up to speed on a new car.  Unfortunately my salesperson was a better salesman than student and knew less about the car than I did.  He did know some of the details on the C-max, but was not as well prepared for questions about the hybrid system.  I'd guess that most sales people get up to speed as they get customers asking the same questions over and over, nobody wants to say "I don't know" more than once.  Most early adopters are going to have done some research though, which makes the questions more difficult too, but we have few of them.

As for ads, I recall seeing the cartoon one a month ago or so, but none since.  I think Ford may be trying to re-formulate an approach after the reviews and class action lawsuit for not meeting EPA estimates, it will be hard to shrug that off.  Hopefully it will be less of an issue as the weather warms up and fuel economy gets better - they should have released the C-max in the spring.