Finding Rest Areas along route

It is there somewhere as we found it a few months ago.  Hubby vaguely recalls going to the bottom of the screen and pushing something to do with navigation and eventually found something that asked what poi icons we wanted displayed and there were rest area icons.  Sorry to be so vague, but if you don't use it you lose it LOL.

There is an I-Pad app that simulates the MFT display I have used it to double check keystrokes to different functions in the living room before I try them out in the car. Its not perfect and doesn't go as deep as it would if I was in charge. But it may help to determine how you would find particular info.

The MyFord Touch Guide app is currently available in English, Canadian French, and Mexican Spanish languages. It supports Apple iOS 4, 5, 6, and 7 and Android Froyo 2.2, Gingerbread 2.3x, Honeycomb 3.x, Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0, and Jelly Bean 4.1+.

To download the MyFord Touch Guide app, visit the App Store or Google Play.43

Edited by MichaelM

Hey everyone!

You can do a POI "Search by name" for rest areas by saying:

“Destination POI” | pause | follow prompts | pause | "Name" | pause | "Rest area"  

See more at: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/navigation-by-voice-sync-myford-touch#sthash.ZuXZUuQP.dpuf

Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

Rebecca

I like learning new things Rebecca.  I won't get to practice on Tip my C-Max as right now I am on Galiano Island with my dog Tinker.  Tip is home with hubby and I have rented a 2006 Diesel Smart Car.  Oh my goodness does the Smart Car seem primitive.  I had a 2012 Smart Car that I traded in for Tip and I loved it.  This is a different kettle of fish as this one is loud, noisy, no guts etc. etc.  You might enjoy this Rebecca.  My husband has been a little negative about Tip as he used to have a luxury SUV.  However he went for one ride in the 2006 Smart Car (you can rent cheaply because its body is covered with advertising) and the air went blue with his thoughts on this Smart Car.  And he began referring to Tip as his car where in the past Tip was always mine.  So Tinker and I are having an adventure and a girl's weekend with the little rattle trap car on Galiano for a few days.  We are in the middle of an Arbutus forest lookng at the ocean--just contemplating having a snooze in the 26 C heat.  Eek a turkey buzzard is circling Tinker (part pom and part chihuahua)--gotta go grab her lol.

Hey everyone!

You can do a POI "Search by name" for rest areas by saying:

“Destination POI” | pause | follow prompts | pause | "Name" | pause | "Rest area"  

See more at: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/navigation-by-voice-sync-myford-touch#sthash.ZuXZUuQP.dpuf

Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

Rebecca

Thanks Rebecca for the information.  I tried your advice this morning without success.  When Sync asked me the name I said Rest Area and it said that I could give names or spell it out so I tried again and also tried spelling out rest area and it didn't find any for me.  I hope there is an answer for this because it would be very handy while on a trip.  Thanks again.

C-Maxgo we tried it when we went down to Washington State the other day and it worked. I will try again shortly and give you the exact word sequence that worked for us.  I know for sure that nearest does not work--yet nearby does.  And we did not use name, we used category "rest area".

We tried it this morning.  Navigation, destination nearest rest area.  And it worked fine.  However I have to mention that overall the nav is pretty unstable for us these days.  Our little icon is rarely on the road anymore.  We notice if we make right turns our icon goes off the road and stays off until it suddenly on its on goes back on track.  We used to brag about our nav but the longer we have the car the more glitches are happening with it.  We aren't due for serving until the Fall, but I will ask whether we need a GPS Module when we go in.

Thanks Rebecca for the information.  I tried your advice this morning without success.  When Sync asked me the name I said Rest Area and it said that I could give names or spell it out so I tried again and also tried spelling out rest area and it didn't find any for me.  I hope there is an answer for this because it would be very handy while on a trip.  Thanks again.

That's strange! I just tried manually searching, and both voice commands and it worked. My system is version 3.6 with the A3 SD map card. Is your MyFord Touch and SD card up-to-date?

We tried it this morning.  Navigation, destination nearest rest area.  And it worked fine.  However I have to mention that overall the nav is pretty unstable for us these days.  Our little icon is rarely on the road anymore.  We notice if we make right turns our icon goes off the road and stays off until it suddenly on its on goes back on track.  We used to brag about our nav but the longer we have the car the more glitches are happening with it.  We aren't due for serving until the Fall, but I will ask whether we need a GPS Module when we go in.

Thanks for testing this, Laurel! When's the last time you performed a master reset to your system?

Rebecca

That's strange! I just tried manually searching, and both voice commands and it worked. My system is version 3.6 with the A3 SD map card. Is your MyFord Touch and SD card up-to-date?

Thanks for testing this, Laurel! When's the last time you performed a master reset to your system?

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca,  I have pulled out the SD card and re-inserted that.  Is that a master reset?  If not, I am game to do it if you tell me how.  Thanks.

Rebecca

Rebecca

Rebecca -

Should we be doing a master reset only if we are experiencing some sort of problem, or is this something we should be doing on a "regular" (how often?) basis?

Thank you everyone for your help!  I found my rest areas.  

YAY! Now you can stretch your legs. :)

Hi Rebecca,  I have pulled out the SD card and re-inserted that.  Is that a master reset?  If not, I am game to do it if you tell me how.  Thanks.

No, that just semi resets the navigation system. A master reset will clear all SYNC and navigation-related data and put your settings back to factory default. Since you said that it's lagging over time, I'd like to see if this helps. Here's the link to the instructions:

http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/pair-your-phone-sync-myford-touch

You will have to re-pair your phone and add your your favorites back to navigation.

Rebecca -

Should we be doing a master reset only if we are experiencing some sort of problem, or is this something we should be doing on a "regular" (how often?) basis?

That's a great question, Dave! A master reset should only be used if you are having an issue with your system; however, since most things can be rectified without it, use your best judgement or come to me first.

Rebecca

Note if you don't want to lose your lifetime avg mpg data you won't want to do the master reset.

I've heard others who have CMaxes here had to replace their GPS module as well when their car kept showing off road and wouldn't "snap" back to the road. Most GPS manufacturers have an algorithm to compensate for when you make turns so it shows you in the correct location. If he accuracy of the GPS is not good and its something like +/- 30 to 45 feet, then it has a delay and always assumes/thinks you are continuing straight until it senses you have gone past the envelope window set by the mfg for a turn parameter. Also remember that in the map/road data, it's set up so that the corner of the street where the sidewalk is located and you turn is actually located further down the street in the middle of the intersection, not at the corner, so some gpses can be fooled if the window is not setup correctly. It's called "rubber banding".

There are a few different ways to search for a POI, and what you stated is correct. Here are a couple more examples of what to say:

“Destination POI” | "Name" | "Rest area."

"Destination POI" | "Nearest" | "Rest area."

Rebecca

Rebecca, are these commands to see the next rest area on the map, or will it display all the rest areas along the route? Say your approaching a rest area and you think to yourself, do I or don't I have to... will the next RA be displayed if you scroll or enlarge the map view?