Car classification: C-Max = ....?

bro1999

On the ford.com website, the C-Max is listed under the "Cars" tab and not the "crossover" tab.

KBB classifies the C-Max as a wagon.

Yahoo autos lists it as a hatchback.

Hybridcars.com says the "C" in C-Max stands for C-class, and is recognized in the U.S. as a compact car.

Others toss the C-Max in the CUV category.

I compared a Buick Encore to a C-Max, and physically, the C-Max is larger than the Encore in every way (except for height), but the Encore is classified as a SUV. I know the C-Max is built on the same platform as the Focus, which is a compact car.

Basic reason I am asking this is I am planning on getting my C-Max's windows tinted, and in Maryland, SUVs/large vehicles have no restrictions on rear window tint darkness, while cars are limited to 35% tint all the way around. Think I would be OK getting the windows tinted darker than 35%? I think officially I would be breaking MD law, but I guess it would all come down to whether a cop considers a C-Max an SUV or not. :p

Edited by bro1999

I was shopping for a small SUV and was seriously considering the Escape.  I wasn't overly excited about the gas mileage and started looking at the C-Max.  It has all the utility I need so it fits the bill for me.  Four wheel drive and high wheel clearance weren't important to me.  That said, I'm not sure it will pass the legal test in MD.

In Ford literature it's referred to as a MAV, multi activity vehicle.

I think I'm going to go with the limo tint (or close to it) for the rear windows. If I ever get hassled by a cop, I'm gonna break out the "It's a UAV/MAV!" line. :victory:

Just get medium tint all around (the split color/shade looks terrible) .

They usually don't ticket you just for Tint alone unless it's crazy dark.

They will pull you over something else like speeding and then tack on the tint issue.

I have tint all around on my pass at. No issues so far.

My trick in case an officer pulls up near my car or I see one from a distance is to do a quick "auto down" on both front windows until they pass me or other pass them is they are parked still.

Most cars come from the factory with a little smoke shade on the window already so adding a light or medium tint on top of that will name it perfect. If you add dark on top of smoke you may have the issue your worrying about.

Gotta get the tint though with that large front window sucking in the heat.

Can't tint the front but at least you can do all others around the car.

There are several here with tint and a thread about it I believe. Search for it.

On the ford.com website, the C-Max is listed under the "Cars" tab and not the "crossover" tab.

KBB classifies the C-Max as a wagon.

Yahoo autos lists it as a hatchback.

Hybridcars.com says the "C" in C-Max stands for C-class, and is recognized in the U.S. as a compact car.

Others toss the C-Max in the CUV category.

I compared a Buick Encore to a C-Max, and physically, the C-Max is larger than the Encore in every way (except for height), but the Encore is classified as a SUV. I know the C-Max is built on the same platform as the Focus, which is a compact car.

Basic reason I am asking this is I am planning on getting my C-Max's windows tinted, and in Maryland, SUVs/large vehicles have no restrictions on rear window tint darkness, while cars are limited to 35% tint all the way around. Think I would be OK getting the windows tinted darker than 35%? I think officially I would be breaking MD law, but I guess it would all come down to whether a cop considers a C-Max an SUV or not. :p

Edited by salsaguy

Not a good idea IMO.

Super dark tint also makes it more difficult to see out your side Windows at night when you want to change lanes and verify no one is going to hit you.

I think I'm going to go with the limo tint (or close to it) for the rear windows. If I ever get hassled by a cop, I'm gonna break out the "It's a UAV/MAV!" line. :victory:

Just get medium tint all around (the split color/shade looks terrible) .

They usually don't ticket you just for Tint alone unless it's crazy dark.

They will pull you over something else like speeding and then tack on the tint issue.

I have tint all around on my pass at. No issues so far.

My trick in case an officer pulls up near my car or I see one from a distance is to do a quick "auto down" on both front windows until they pass me or other pass them is they are parked still.

Most cars come from the factory with a little smoke shade on the window already so adding a light or medium tint on top of that will name it perfect. If you add dark on top of smoke you may have the issue your worrying about.

Gotta get the tint though with that large front window sucking in the heat.

Can't tint the front but at least you can do all others around the car.

There are several here with tint and a thread about it I believe. Search for it.

I've done 20% all around (except the windshield) in the past on my old car, a Volvo C30, and I never got hassled by cops. I even got stopped one time for speeding, but they didn't even mention the tint. I mainly want to get a dark tint so the kids in back don't have the sun shining in their eyes. Eh, perhaps I'll just go 30% all the way around. That's what I had done on the Volt, and it looks pretty nice. I agree that the half-tinted look does look unattractive.

As for the windshield, 3M has a 'Crystalline' tint line you might want to check out. A lot of states bar tint of any kind on windshields, but the 3M Crystalline 90 (90% VLT) is basically clear, and the heat blocking properties are insane. I saw a windshield tinted with the 90, and I could have sworn it was factory glass. Only way to tell it was tinted was the 3M print marks on the film.

I got the Crystalline 70 applied to the Volt, and it definitely helps to block solar energy from coming through the windshield (my Volt is black on black, so it gets toasty in the summer!). I would do the same for the C-Max, but it is a lease, and I don't want to spend $200 on windshield tint for a car I'll probably end up not keeping.

Edited by bro1999

In California there is no argument...get a ticket and fix if it its too dark.  CHP are not flexible on this issue :judge:

In California there is no argument...get a ticket and fix if it its too dark.  CHP are not flexible on this issue :judge:

The same in MN. State Troopers lobbied and got a law passed for 50% max on cars all the way around and 50% max on SUV and all other fronts. Also, nothing on the windshield, not even an eyebrow above the ASA line. Troopers will ticket you without any negotiation and most local PD's will too. Any reputable tint shop won't break the law because they can be cited too. Other back alley shops will install whatever you want, but you get what you pay for. I had 50% installed all the way around.