A5 Nav Card now available

I checked with my local dealer and they didn't know anything yet, but a Google search the other day shows new A5 SD Nav cards are now out there for the 8" MFT/Sync Navigation systems.  It seems to be just a map update, not anything else related to Sync.  These SD Cards are showing up on Ebay.  I just bought one from Levittown Ford Supercenter online for $120+shipping.  It should be here in a few days; I'll let everyone know if it works seamlessly.  It does not appear that we can get this update for free like we did A4, as A4 was a necessary part of a Sync software fix. This just seems to be a new map update, one that I'm assuming we have to pay for if you want it (at least I just paid for it anyway.)  Part number is EM5Z-19H449-AA

Edited by JohnTrigger

Hi JohnTrigger,

You are correct. This map update is available via your dealership; more than likely, they will have to order the card since most don't have it in stock. I cannot quote prices, so be sure to check with a couple different dealers in your area. :)

Rebecca

Hi JohnTrigger,

You are correct. This map update is available via your dealership; more than likely, they will have to order the card since most don't have it in stock. I cannot quote prices, so be sure to check with a couple different dealers in your area. :)

Rebecca

JohnTrigger - Thanks for the info.  You are a good online shopper.  You got the best price I could find online.

Rebecca - How about discount coupons for forum members?  Or, maybe a door prize for the most interesting post of the week?  :)  

IMO, paying for Navigation Map and software updates is adding insult to injury. One first has to pay $1200 for an upgraded radio and Navigation (even though one might only want navigation) - highly "injurious" and then $120 every year or so for map updates - highly "insulting".  :)

How can Garmin and others offer lifetime software and map upgrades for a one time nominal price increase of a GPS navigation unit and Ford can't? ;)

Given my plan to depart on a 4,000 mile trip in June, I am in. I have my 10,000 mile service scheduled for Friday. Tomorrow, I am going to place a quick call to see pricing and if in stock at my local dealership. If not, I'll order online from your source.

Edited by ScubaDadMiami

Map updates are not needed every year.they only change roads infrequently and it takes a LONG time before the construction is completed and they can officially update the road data that is then sold to the OEMs who make the GPS units.

Only the pois really change a lot with business coming and going..I'd recommend getting new map cards every 2-3 yrs. It's not mandatory. You can go to the navteq site to see if there are actually new roads in your area.Most companies use their road data.

You can compare different version of maps I believe and also send in fixes/adds/edits to road data when you see it's wrong on your GPS so that it eventually gets fixed in the next version.

I agree the stock GPS units in cars are way overpriced and don't have as many features as the consumer GPS units like Garmin. It's all the testing and qualification that any car part had to go thru that makes parts so expensive. OEM stuff had to lay 10 years whereas consumer stuff is only expected to last 2-3 yrs before being replaced/obsolete.

Consumer gpses also have alot more and cooler features than stock and some gps's can even be customized by the owner as they want.

It's sad they charge so much. Garmin can do it for cheap because it's just the GPS part, not all the other stuff like HD radio and cars info screen that has to integrate with many systems to work.

Some of you may have forgotten that the free maps and traffic units used to have a BUNCH of ads on them to pay for the free services. A lot of folks complained and I think they finally removed the ads in the newest models. Not sure since the last time I bought a new Garmin was several years ago now.

IMO, paying for Navigation Map and software updates is adding insult to injury. One first has to pay $1200 for an upgraded radio and Navigation (even though one might only want navigation) - highly "injurious" and then $120 every year or so for map updates - highly "insulting".  :)hink they finally

How can Garmin and others offer lifetime software and map upgrades for a one time nominal price increase of a GPS navigation unit and Ford can't? ;)

Edited by salsaguy

Sure, my phone does a perfectly good job (better than NAV) of getting me where I want to go. I just like the big screen and other conveniences of NAV enough to justify it. If I weren't about to leave on a 4,000+ mile trip, I probably wouldn't be in rush to do it, but I think that it is a good idea for these circumstances.

I also see an EM5T19H449AA (note the T instead of the Z). Which is the right one, or do they both work equally?

The levittownford supercenter website says that the part number containing Z replaces the one containing T.

Edit:  They sent me A5 card with the number containing T, so I don't know.  Probably doesn't matter, I guess.

Edited by JohnTrigger

I agree about there being no need to update every year  

If I knew A6 will be out in a year, I would probably skip every other one too.  The problem I've found is you never know when the last update will be from Ford as they tend to stop providing them after a little while without notice.  For example, my 07 Ford Escape Hybrid 12xCD version has been out of date for 6+ years; less than a year after I bought the vehicle they stopped updating it.  So I tend to get the latest right when it is available, as I really hate paying the same price for an update that is several years old but is the latest (final) one.  Just to be clear, even today I could spend $199 to update my Ford Escape with maps that are 7 years old (they are still available for purchase), but it is the same price as I paid 6 years ago and have been using them ever since.  At least that is how I justify buying the latest version each time to myself. :)

The card only includes MAPS, streets, highways,  and Points of Interests updates (food,gas, businesses) that have changed since the last SD card was put out.

There is absolutely NO software / patches to the Ford system on the card.

TO update your synch system you download the software from the microsoft site and update it yourself on your own separate SD card

see here for an example:

http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/install-updates-sync-myford-touch

and

http://support.ford.com/topics/sync-technology-sync-myford-touch#topic-item-6\

Update of the first post above.  Ordered the card yesterday AM.  Paid for ground shipping (from NY to MD).  Got the card via UPS today.  Installed it and drove around a little bit.  As you would expect, it works, but nothing significant to report otherwise.  Don't know what was updated....

Edited by salsaguy

This is my first in-car nav system so I don't know what other car makers do about map updates but I think these should be free during the warranty period. I don't see any reason to pay lots of money for an update considering the low number of new roads, new POIs, and errors that might impact my travels.

99% of the time the changes DONT impact you but someone in another state altogether :)

(its the entire USA and sometimes Canada included in the maps)

My maps in my Passat are now 2 years old now and I will think about getting an update...maybe. so far no issues though even with old maps.

its $199 for the VW !!! thats crazy insane

...and they are already out of date since they are a snapshot in time, unlike the garmin ones that let you update every 3 months if you have one of their LM (lifetime maps) models

you can even download and install your own driveable/routable maps on a garmin (even handheld ones) from sites like: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

you have to remember the maps are NOT free. its just like buying a new version of windows or OSX every 2 years. it SHOULD be free but its not.

the maps are licensed to the car mfgs to use for their cars (just like artists license their songs to the Apple itunes store to sell)

they pay a lot of money to Navteq and other map data owners who in turn have to spend a LOT of money and resources to send out cars/crews to drive all those roads and make sure they are accurate and staff folks to handle the input from real users/drivers when there are errors, and the cities who do the construction for new roads/highways to get their staff to draw up the plans for the new roads they just built. its a trickle up effect it gets more and more expensive the more people are involved in the process. Don't forget about the satellites which last time I checked are not cheap. many maps also include traffic data and road indicator data which has to all be coded into the maps. ts not just a Thomas Guide with just lines and text anymore. its heavy duty stuff for even a small town/city  worth of maps, never mind the entire USA Worth of maps you are buying (worth it for someone who is retired and travels a lot or a road warrior. Not worh it if you just drive around a 50 mile radius of your house 99.9 % of the time)

its not the car companies problem if you go to a restaurant that is no longer there because they went out of business 3 months ago due to the economy which is out of their control.

everyone company is out to make MORE money not less.

the in dash gps is a luxury item but everyone expects to see one in a car these days otherwise its not even considered on their "to buy" list

so they put them in to meet the customers demands/requirements

(look up the "kano model" theory)

the gps in cell phone is faster, cheaper and more accurate but its less convienent since you have to buy a cradle and it not as large as the indash

you are paying for convenience . prices at 7-11 are much more expensive than wal-mart but folks still buy food/drinks there because they are located where there is usually nothing else around to eat/drink. Convenience again...which drives up the price

its a little monopoly going on

This is my first in-car nav system so I don't know what other car makers do about map updates but I think these should be free during the warranty period. I don't see any reason to pay lots of money for an update considering the low number of new roads, new POIs, and errors that might impact my travels.

Edited by salsaguy

• 2 weeks later...

If you buy a brand new CMax after the A5 came out though it would be acceptable to expect to get the latest A5 card with the new car, correct? you should not have to pay for an upgraded card

Hi JohnTrigger,

Rebecca

Edited by salsaguy

I guess it depends on when it was BUILT not when it was purchased.

Your car could have been mfg 6 months ago and at that time the A4 card was the newest available and what was installed at the factory or at the dealer on receipt from factory.

I believe the card is in the glove box when you pick up the car from what ive read here?

In today's modern age, u would think these maps would be free to download. Even Garmin maps are now hacked. My car arrives next week here in Argentina. There are no maps from Ford, garmin compatible maps are free down here, but alas, they don't work in our system. Wish there was a way to know who exactly provides the map data and know the comparability of our system....

I'll need to check which version I have in my C-max when I pick it up Monday, If it is A4 I'll be requesting it to be updated. Why spend close to 28,000.00 and not expect the most current revisions in your car?

Edited by weebee

I understand that the A4 was probably the current map SD when my car was built, but it would be nice if Ford had some kind of policy or method for a brand new owner to upgrade to the current maps when the car is purchased without having to pay so much.

Well, when I picked up my car yesterday I saw that I indeed have the A4 version on my navi. I asked to have it it upgraded for free because this is a brand new car and it should be fully up to date. They wouldn't go for it. That was what was up to date at the time of assembly and that's what you get. Oh, it was worth the try!

Well, when I picked up my car yesterday I saw that I indeed have the A4 version on my navi. I asked to have it it upgraded for free because this is a brand new car and it should be fully up to date. They wouldn't go for it. That was what was up to date at the time of assembly and that's what you get. Oh, it was worth the try!

That is just poor public relations!  That sort of lack of good will with a new customer who spent nearly $30,000 is unacceptable.  I can see that policy with us oldies but not with a brand new customer.  That stinks. :sad: