The CVT of the C-Max is spoiling me for other vehicles

BobJustBob

I recently had my C-Max in at the dealer for service, and I rented a car from the dealer in order to get to work.  I ended up renting a recent-model Ford Focus sedan.  I haven't driven another car since buying my C-Max, and driving this Focus with its conventional automatic transmission was a real eye-opener.  At low speeds--while driving in a parking lot, for instance--it felt as though I was riding a bucking bronco, the shifts from one gear to the other were that abrupt and jarring.  I hadn't realized how much I've been spoiled by the smooth, seamless, continuously variable transmission (CVT) of the C-Max.  Have any of you C-Max owners ever driven other vehicles with CVT's?  I was wondering how the CVT of the C-Max stacks up against those in other vehicles.  For instance, I viewed some online video reviews of the brand new 2015 Honda Fit, and every one mentioned how noisy the CVT in the Fit is.

Being a rental, it should be a new(er) focus and the automatic transmission in those is actually an "automatic" dual clutch manual transmission.  IOW, it's a manual transmission that clutches and shifts for you.  They don't shift quite as smoothly as a conventional automatic and are more complicated than a conventional manual transmission but they are more efficient than a comparable automatic and thus better FE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-clutch_transmission

There are numerous versions of the CVT transmission and, as the saying goes, not all are created equally.   The CMax CVT is brand new and designed and built by Ford.

I had a 2012 Focus with the DCT and it took a little getting used to. I check in on the Focus Fanatics forum from time to time and Ford seems to have resolved in the 2014's many of the hard shift and lurching issues in the 2012-2013's. I also had a 2005 Freestyle with the Gertag CVT. I never had problems, but the Freestyle forums are full of posts of folks having issues, mostly bearings and seals if I recall. Of course, there's probably many more Gertag CVT's out there without problems, you all know how forums can be when it comes to problems. I got spooked and sold my Freestyle because I worried about CVT repairs and parts availability and from what I understand, it has become difficult to get parts. I enjoyed the CVT back then and I agree, this eCVT is smooth as silk.

Don't forget that the CVT in a non-hybrid car is very different than the eCVT in a Ford or Toyota hybrid. Below is a great video explaining about the Prius eCVT. It is nothing like a CVT in any non-hybrid car. This thread at the Fusion Hybrid Forum also explains about it.

As far as not dealing with shifting gears, it's incredible!! I don't know how anyone can drive a car with a transmission that shifts as it seems so archaic now to us. I also don't understand how anyone can drive a car that isn't a hybrid as the hybrid is so quiet and smooth with the ICE shut off much of the time that it's a far superior driving experience.

Spot on hybridbear.

I was driving a rental last October while Maxine was in the shop. Enterprise loaned me a Matrix since the insurance had a $25 cap, and it was liked driving Fred Flintstone's car. Everything was not a CMax and once I got back into my own, it felt like I graduated from a biplane to a Stealth Bomber. Quiet & efficient. CVT has to do with a lot of that...its just so magic the seemless transition from ICE to EV to ICE. Amazing engineering.

As far as not dealing with shifting gears, it's incredible!! I don't know how anyone can drive a car with a transmission that shifts as it seems so archaic now to us. I also don't understand how anyone can drive a car that isn't a hybrid as the hybrid is so quiet and smooth with the ICE shut off much of the time that it's a far superior driving experience.

Totally agree!  I would buy the C-Max just to get the no-shift drive-train!  All vehicles should be like this one (or pure electric).  We have a 5 mile Interstate grade (about 4%) that the C-Max goes up like it isn't there.  If you didn't check GPS altitude or something, you just wouldn't know you were going up 1000 feet in elevation.  The ICE goes to 3000 rpm but at Interstae speeds and that modest RPM you don't notice it at all.  And the simplicity of the Atkinson cycle ICE - no turbochargers or other exotic stuff.

There are numerous versions of the CVT transmission and, as the saying goes, not all are created equally.   The CMax CVT is brand new and designed and built by Ford.

Absolutely. CVT's tend to hinder driving experience rather than enhance it, the eCVT from Ford is an exception to the rule. Most CVTs are rather loud and buzzy sounding and also give you a rubber band or lash effect when accelerating and decelerating. This powertrain from Ford doesn't really have any of these characteristics and is exceptionally smooth. I think that its easily quieter and smoother than the 4th gen Prius.

As for Ford's double clutch tranys I think they are more of a work in progress. Great idea in concept, they just need some refinement. After a couple years I'm sure they will behave much more like a conventional torque converter couple AT.

wend from the Chevy HHR  to the prius... love the CVT.

from Prius to C-max.  I like the ford better than the prius.  seems smoother  and quieter.  but that could also be a resul tof the more sound deadening and the larger engine not haveingto work as hard...

I haven't driving my wifes saturn in quite some time...