Miami to New Hampshire and Back

Hey, everybody, I just arrived in New Hampshire, walking distance to the Maine state line. Unfortunately, I can't post photos from my Android tablet (even though I was able to at least upload to the Gallery). So, I'll have to see about moving some photos into this post sequence, at a later time.

Anyway, just to give you a good idea of some real world numbers, I drove the entire distance at whatever was the posted speed limits. However, there are a few exceptions to this, which I will state up front. Rather than drive 70 MPH, I limited my highway speed to 68 MPH. I hit traffic as I passed Washington, D.C. (very bad for about 45 minutes), New York City (just some slowdowns, nothing too bad), Hartford, Connecticut (surprisingly bad, but not too long of a distance), and Lowell, Massachussetts. If I had to guess my average speeds, I would say that I averaged 65 MPH from Miami to Philadelphia, and then more like 60 (speed zones ranging from 55 to 70) from there to the end. I used the air conditioner for about two-thirds of the trip, and I set the temperature to about 74 (sometimes 75, sometimes 73).

I drove 1,566 miles, and my indicated fuel economy for the entire leg of the trip was 44.4 MPG. It was more like 42 to 43 from Miami through Washington, D.C., and then it got considerably better for the last part of the trip, which I imagine was due to decreased temperatures and passing the gradual incline of the early part of the trip.

One last important footnote to mention: As I crossed the state line into New Hampshire, I got a low tire pressure warning. I figured that I had picked up a nail or something, but the tire looked okay. I only had 30 minutes to go, so I elected to keep going, hoping to make it to my destination. The next day, I checked the tire pressures, and they were down on all four tires, mostly to about 34 PSI, but with one just above 30--which I am guessing to be the one that set off the warning. I filled the tires up to 38 cold, and I am going to see what happens. I suspect that the dealer did not check or top up my tires at my 10,000 mile service, which I had done just before leaving Florida. On the other hand, it could be that the 30 degree difference in temperature outside played a part in this. The point is, that I suppose that my numbers could have been even better, had I checked the pressure before leaving Miami.

More to come!

cool.  long trip.

I did a trip from DC to richmond and back  about  200 miles round trip.... set the cruise at 65 ran the ac....averaged 44 and change....  you folksk down south with the flat terrain  have a huge MPG advantage over us further north...

Sorryabout DC traffic...  consider it your "welcome to hell"  

Speaking of NAV, I installed the A5 card just before departure. I suspect that it made a mistake in directing me through the traffic jam of DC, because I saw an I-95 Bypass kind of sign (to NY and NJ) that I was not directed to follow, and that was right where it led me to that major traffic jam. Other than that (and I can't even say if that was an error or not), everything worked perfectly. Here in New Hampshire, it did direct me to a carwash that was no longer in business.

I also learned some new Synch voice commands by playing around with things. For example, I was able to add a waypoint to the route. Synch did direct me to use the screen for one step at the end, but it did most of the work by voice command. By the way, since this was the subject of a previous thread, I did get to search for Rest Areas along my route, and that worked by voice command without any problem.

I usually buy my fuel from Costco, where they do not use gasahol but the real thing. I am not seeing any difference in my numbers by using the the ethanol 10 percent gasoline that I am forced to buy on the go. I am using high test, as I always do, so that could be contributing to the lack of difference I seem to have. I also don't see any difference in fuel economy by using the 0W20 oil.

Since I didn't mention it before, I used Eco Cruise almost the entire time.

Edited by ScubaDadMiami

just did the 0w-20 oil change,  wasn't sure if it was done  before I bought the car used.  Better safe than sorry...

I imagine you got jammed in 495/i95 interchange  otherwise nicknamed the mixing bowl...  there really isn't any  i95 bypass in DC.  there is one in Richmond  295 takes you 20 miles out of the way.  but  you miss down town richmond...

And there is no quick/short way around/through DC...  unless you do it at midnight... but generally  going i95  the accepted method is to keep to the east side of DC across the woodrow wilson bridge...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_Interchange

if you are coming south any time soon...  be careful.  they just closed a bridge @ 495 in Wilmington De  which will force more traffic to 95 and downtown wilmington..  if you take the NJ turnpike  youd should miss it,  but  expect more traffic

...http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/06/04/318755158/tilting-delaware-bridge-stays-closed-disrupting-interstate-travel

What a trip ScubaDadMiami!  I recently drove from Southwest Virginia to Miami and back.  I am assuming the difference in mpg is because of the terrain.  The temperature in Florida was warmer than further north but not more than 5 to 10 degrees.  I'm not sure that has much effect on the mpg.  After manually calculating my mpg I got about 43 mpg in the rolling hills/mountainous areas and 39 in the flat areas like Georgia and Florida.  I was very surprised what a difference the flat highways gave me in mpg.  Do you have any hints that increase your flat highway driving mpg.  

What a trip ScubaDadMiami!  I recently drove from Southwest Virginia to Miami and back.  I am assuming the difference in mpg is because of the terrain.  The temperature in Florida was warmer than further north but not more than 5 to 10 degrees.  I'm not sure that has much effect on the mpg.  After manually calculating my mpg I got about 43 mpg in the rolling hills/mountainous areas and 39 in the flat areas like Georgia and Florida.  I was very surprised what a difference the flat highways gave me in mpg.  Do you have any hints that increase your flat highway driving mpg.

Check around for a post that I did on how to accelerate from a stop, including chasing up the threshold to keep in EV until about 13 to 18 MPH. Then,do a brief 2 Bar burn to get moving with traffic, and then try to reduce to 1.75 as soon as you can. After that, try to reduce to about 1.2/2000 RPM while you get near your intended speed. Using all of this works well in flat city driving, up to about 45 MPH or so. You will need to adjust the last step for getting up to highway speeds.

Jus is much more the expert for other-than-city driving than I am. He's done some great posts on that.

What was the temp in South Florida versus the Northeast. Maybe the drop in ambient temperature caused the tire pressure to drop. For every 10 degree temperature change, the psi raises or drops 1 psi.

Yeah, I am going to call out the dealer for not putting the tires up to pressure during that service that I did just prior to this trip. It was over 90F when I left Miami, and it got to about 63F up north. I just can't see that swing being enough to take the pressure from spec down to that low. I am willing to bet that they were more like 34-35 PSI before I left Miami.

Yeah, I am going to call out the dealer for not putting the tires up to pressure during that service that I did just prior to this trip. It was over 90F when I left Miami, and it got to about 63F up north. I just can't see that swing being enough to take the pressure from spec down to that low. I am willing to bet that they were more like 34-35 PSI before I left Miami.

Tire pressure drops 1 PSI for every 10 degree decrease in temp according to Click & Clack. I am able to monitor all four TPMS sensors with Torque Pro for our FFH and I've noticed that my PSI will increase from 43 PSI cold to about 47-48 PSI after driving awhile. In the winter my cold PSI was about 37. So far I have not had to add air in 5000+ miles with the white FFH other than when we first brought it home from the dealer. The black FFH did not need any air added to the tires in the 18,000 miles we had it other than when we first brought it home from the dealer. I am happy to let the PSI drop a bit in the winter to about 36-37 PSI to improve traction and to let it increase with air temp in the summer up to 43 PSI to improve fuel economy.

I am particularly stupid in this instance (beside all of the other times), because I have had a pressure gauge from day one, and I never bothered to use it. I'll check again in a while, and certainly before I head back to Miami, just to make sure that everything is holding. I don't expect to find any leaks.

I have been running 49psi 30+K miles (62K miles total) current readings 4/32 outside, 4/32 center and 3.5/32 inside on all 4 tires. With that info I would recommend 48-50 psi for the best tire wear and mpg's. Will need to replace my tires shortly. :)

Paul

I never know what to do about this kind of thing. I do not want to risk safety. That's my first concern. I don't know how changing things can ultimate affect safety/handling/stopping distance/wet road handling, and the like.

Higher psi would be better for wet/snow smaller contact patch. Even tire ware would be an indication of proper inflation psi. As long as you don't exceed 51 psi cold there shouldn't be a problem from Michelin's  standpoint. :)

Paul