Maxus and a Pruis V owner

mtb9153

Certainly not after driving both of them <g>.

(We drove both our friend's Prissy's for a week and it was so horrible I couldn't believe anyone would ever buy one.  Then again, maybe a test drive isn't long enough to expose just how bad a ride it really is.  I wonder how many of them have buyer's remorse, though).

We drove the Prius V for several hours as the dealer gave it to us overnight.  It was a good car from our perspective--biggest weakness compared to the C-Max was lack of power going onto freeways and the Plain Jane interior.  But we both thought it was a good basic hybrid and came close to buying it.  Doctor this is why I have walked up to the V thinking it was my car TIP.  http://inhabitat.com/toyota-prius-pulls-into-third-place-in-worldwide-auto-sales/

http://imganuncios.mitula.net/2013_ford_c_max_hybrid_se_ice_storm_metallic_in_frankfort_illinois_98475049073762373.jpg

We drove all the Prius models before buying our C-Max.  We found the Prius' to be very utilitarian in design.  Much like a Volkswagen bug.  We did like the Prius V the best of the Prius's that we tried.  Indeed it seemed quite a bit roomier than the C-Max --more like a Van than a car............I do note that our Ice Storm SEL with the panorama roof looks almost identical to the Prius V that comes in a similar colour.  I have mistakenly gone up to one of those Prius V's thinking it was my car.  So probably no one voices interest in the C-Max s they think it is a Prius V.

Maybe if I wasn't wearing my contact lenses!

But refreshing to read a alternative to the typical anti-Prius sentiments on this forum. People aren't dumb and Toyota wouldn't be doing so well if the Prius wasn't a good, economical and reliable car. I just prefer the C-max.

I wasn't anti Prius until I drove one -- it was actually on my list to buy (at about 6 -- the C-Max wasn't even ON the list :>).  And perhaps if I hadn't almost gotten killed in it (literally) I would have felt differently about it (although I doubt it).

That same period of time (about four weeks while our Durango was out of operation and I was borrowing friends and family rides) I drove a big ole clunky 18 year old Chevy van that was impossible to get in, impossible to park, and drove like a slug.  And even IT was better than the Prius at acceleration and handling!  That was what really threw me -- at that point in time I was convinced hybrids were only for those folks who lived in Mayberry and never needed to drive over 30 mpg OR (and this last is very important) make sudden maneuvers to avoid trouble.

Let me expound upon that -- if we all lived in very quiet towns where folks were well-mannered about their driving I suspect the Prius would be nearly ideal -- not fun, mind you, but a very good ride for the situation.  Unfortunately, I've never lived in any of those places.  Where I live people drive like maniacs, making sudden lane changes and turns in front of me that, even if I'm moving relatively slowly, require me to act quickly and decisively and, yes, sometimes accelerate quickly (but always MOVE deftly).  The Prius does none of those things, unless I had it set wrong somehow or hadn't learned in a week how to make it do those things (and I'm willing to admit there may be techniques you have to learn with it to make it drive properly -- but if so, that's not a good vehicle).

So totally aside from nearly being slammed into while merging onto our frontage road, I just wrestled the whal... ahem, Prius around on the roads trying to stay out of people's way.  That did not fill me with confidence about taking it anywhere.  So boring, yes, but also VERY dangerous in my mind.

However, I also know the places I have lived and driven are very limited -- I'm not a huge traveler.  I've spent a ton of time in Carson City (the nation's smallest and most obscure state capitol) and I'm currently living in one of the smaller towns in Florida (but far from the smallest by any means) and neither of those places should anyone be driving a vehicle like the Prius, although pretty obviously they are doing so.  Maybe they're lucky, maybe they are much better drivers than I am, or maybe, just maybe, we are slowly losing off the people that would buy one (it might be a Darwinian thing -- pretty soon Toyota won't have anyone alive to be a customer <bg>).

some spec numbers for those who care... from edmonds....

Gen 3 prius  hatch Power to weight ration  26lbs per HP

0-45 mph (sec.) 6.3

0-60 mph (sec.) 10.1

0-75 mph (sec.) 15.4

1/4-mile (sec. @ mph) 17.3 @ 79.7

0-60 with 1 foot of rollout (sec.) 9.7

Braking, 30-0 mph (ft.) 30

60-0 mph (ft.) 118

Slalom, 6 x 100 ft. (mph) 59.7

Skid pad, 200-ft. diameter (lateral g) 0.78

C-max hybrid  power to weight  25lb per HP

0-45 mph (sec.) 5.3

0-60 mph (sec.) 8.1

0-75 mph (sec.) 11.7

1/4-mile (sec. @ mph) 15.9 @ 88.9

0-60 with 1 foot of rollout (sec.) 7.7

Braking, 30-0 mph (ft.) 33

60-0 mph (ft.) 134

Slalom, 6 x 100 ft. (mph)  62.6

Skid pad, 200-ft. diameter (lateral g) 0.75

Heck the prius stops better, slaloms faster and has higher G rating on the skid pad...  which means its a better handling car  than the c-max... It just lacks a little in the get up and go department...

Edited by Marc Smith

Again, this shows how numbers (and, yes, statistics) don't mean much.  It all comes down to real world driving, and the Prius does NOT handle better than even an 18 year old Chevy van (again, unless both the van and the two Priuses I drove were very uncommon and/or I'm just a lousy driver.  All of which are possible... but doesn't explain why the C-Max handles so much better in my hands then).

But I don't think so -- I've also ridden in both of my friend's Prisues when they were driving and at all times it felt awkward, lurching around the lanes and acting as if they were constantly fighting it.  I had chalked it up to my friends just not being very good drivers (while we all think that WE are the best drivers in the world, pretty obviously we aren't all :>) but I truly think it's the car now.  I do think if you keep the speed down it is certainly manageable, assuming you have plenty of time in which to make any changes, so perhaps in someplace like the Bay area (last time I drove there I think I remember not being able to go much over 25 in The City and even that was tough most of the time).  Don't want to know what happens when you get on the freeways, though.

But refreshing to read a alternative to the typical anti-Prius sentiments on this forum. People aren't dumb and Toyota wouldn't be doing so well if the Prius wasn't a good, economical and reliable car. I just prefer the C-max.

You made me laugh Adrian!  I only wear my glasses for reading, but obviously need them at other times too. LOL 

some spec numbers for those who care... from edmonds....

Gen 3 prius  hatch Power to weight ration  26lbs per HP

0-45 mph (sec.) 6.3

0-60 mph (sec.) 10.1

0-75 mph (sec.) 15.4

1/4-mile (sec. @ mph) 17.3 @ 79.7

0-60 with 1 foot of rollout (sec.) 9.7

Braking, 30-0 mph (ft.) 30

60-0 mph (ft.) 118

Slalom, 6 x 100 ft. (mph) 59.7

Skid pad, 200-ft. diameter (lateral g) 0.78

C-max hybrid  power to weight  25lb per HP

0-45 mph (sec.) 5.3

0-60 mph (sec.) 8.1

0-75 mph (sec.) 11.7

1/4-mile (sec. @ mph) 15.9 @ 88.9

0-60 with 1 foot of rollout (sec.) 7.7

Braking, 30-0 mph (ft.) 33

60-0 mph (ft.) 134

Slalom, 6 x 100 ft. (mph)  62.6

Skid pad, 200-ft. diameter (lateral g) 0.75

Heck the prius stops better, slaloms faster and has higher G rating on the skid pad...  which means its a better handling car  than the c-max... It just lacks a little in the get up and go department...

:lol: I would say it lacks more than a little getup and go :hat_tip:

Edited by drdiesel1

When we travel down to Cannon Beach in Oregon, my husband has a non stop patter directed toward me concerning me allowing all the Prius's to pass us.  I go the speed limit but they go flying by so they the endurance --just not the pep off the starting line.  I do think they are a lot like the old Volkswagen bugs. 

But it is not a good car, it is a great car !!!  Some of us just can't stand the dashes, head room, materials, noise  .......................................  and it is not a C-Max. ;)

((got to go with the underdog too !))  sorry,  nick 

(((eeek, and those inane Toyota dealer showroom commercials with smiley robo people - make me want to jump off a cliff)))

(not to mention we are desperate for a little fun around here, it does get a bit too heavy sometimes; sorry for that too.  :))

Edited by C-MaxSea

Kelly,

I assume that edmonds  used a professional driver to wring the cars out,  or got their data from another reputable source like car/driver  road/track, ect.

but the slalom and skidpad numbers don't lie.  Iwould imagine the c-max being a bit heavier and taller is what hurt it.

My prius(2010 iv with 40K miles) never felt flighty, loose or unstable at highway speeds.  I was able to merge fine with traffic at highway speeds.

are you able to stab the gas the and make the car go....no.  you had to plan your acceleration,  no different the than c-max...

0-45 numbers are the numbers that most people  will have to do on a day to day basis, a right turn on red from a standing stop trying to shoot the gap in traffic........

Is the prius or the c-max designed to be a cross country luxo barge or a drag strip queen?  no...  they are cars designed to get you from point a to point b, safely,   using as little fuel as possible.  How we define whats safe is to each their own...

It just lacks a little in the get up and go department...

Two seconds in a 0-60 time is a HUGE difference especially in the seat-of-the-pants feeling.

I was late this weekend for a very important function and traveling on a 75mph road passing folks left and right (figuratively).  The amount of passing power is amazing and frequently found myself at 85-90mph by the time I was pulling back into my lane.  Car had two occupants, a loaded hatch, and a loaded cargo carrier.  

I cross-shopped and test drove the V three times (in addition to the 27,000 miles I racked up in the standard prius with the same drivetrain) and just couldn't get over the lack of power.  I knew it would quickly get old listening to that drone (again) which was my wife's #1 nit-pick against the prius liftback drivetrain.   A simple cargo carrier gives me enough capacity when I need it but I don't have the penalty the other 98% of the time I don't.

Edited by fotomoto

When we travel down to Cannon Beach in Oregon, my husband has a non stop patter directed toward me concerning me allowing all the Prius's to pass us.  I go the speed limit but they go flying by so they the endurance --just not the pep off the starting line.  I do think they are a lot like the old Volkswagen bugs. 

..oh I let 'em pass me all the time here on the streets. Thats ok, I enjoy my EVing and my 60+MPG & 800+ miletank, I don't care, I meet up with 'em at the next light anyway...whoopee-doo. Unless its in the hands of a skilled driver, the V would not easily get 600, afaik. I know theres a big thing about the 600 tank on a V...crap, I do that hooning like a gas moron with no hypermiling and a lot of folks here get that freeway as the 600+ mile club shows.

Sorry Marc, but our C-Max SEL is a "cross country luxo barge" and "a drag strip queen" (as designed), thank you very much !!!  A bit in the eye of the beholder, but .........pass the poupon my dear..... leather, headroom, ECO Cruise, driver feedback, Sony 9 speaker sound, HD radio, Sirius, Park Assist, Nav, ........................................ & 7-8 second sprints   :)  :)   ((Oh, and 45 - 50+ MPG on-demand for some of us  :)))

that's three whole smiles for us,

nick

PS  Marc, don't your numbers show the C-Max faster in the slalom ?

Edited by C-MaxSea

Perspective.

Most every Toyota Prius I see on the interstate near my home is always going 'flat out' (well, at least 10mph above the posted speed limit).

2012 used Prius v Five for sale at a nearby Toyota dealer.

http://www.rohrmantoyota.com/wholesale-used/Toyota/2012-Toyota-Prius+v-71534b910a0a00027cd2daebc2b83275.htm

Two owners (from CarFax, corporate fleet vehicle for the first 5,000 miles, then private owner next 19,000 miles)

24,667 miles.

36.5mpg! 

Car is rated 44 city/40 highway

post-1940-0-17348100-1409679979_thumb.jpg

Edited by kostby

Having just been thrown around in the back of a Prius Taxi, due to Mr. Lead Foot behind the wheel, I certainly didn't get the impression that the car was gutless.

0-60 in 10 seconds is nothing that will break records on a salt flat, but would a respectable figure for an older sedan, such as the Honda Accord. 

And hey.........no dissing the GMC/Chevy van.  Matilda (GMC Vandura; 350 V8 on Propane) will turn 30 next June and she rides like a Cadillac.....sadly she gulps fuel like a Cadillac.

Having just been thrown around in the back of a Prius Taxi, due to Mr. Lead Foot behind the wheel, I certainly didn't get the impression that the car was gutless.

0-60 in 10 seconds is nothing that will break records on a salt flat, but would a respectable figure for an older sedan, such as the Honda Accord. 

And hey.........no dissing the GMC/Chevy van.  Matilda (GMC Vandura; 350 V8 on Propane) will turn 30 next June and she rides like a Cadillac.....sadly she gulps fuel like a Cadillac.

Prius does stop faster. LOL :)

Paul

Hey, I actually thought the van handled just fine (certainly compared to the Prius).  It was just WAY too big (would not fit in my garage next to our Durango) and, as you said, gulped gas like it was going out of style.

(Ironically, originally we were thinking of buying that used van from our neighbor, whose wife can't drive anymore so now they have two vehicles they mostly can't use -- even he has problems getting around and that's why we take him to his doctor's visits, etc.  Couldn't find an actual blue book price as it was too old, but I took the one I *could* find and subtracted 100 dollars and offered it to him... and his wife wouldn't let him sell as it was "her" car and she didn't want to part with it although she'll never drive again in her life.  Boy, am I glad we didn't end up with it now).

Well...this is a CMax forum. Whatever we say here, its nothing compared to the hate at other Prii sites. At least we give the Prii a fair shake, imho.