0w20 oil

Mamalou16201

This has been discussed before as the Ford 0W20 spec encompasses the 5W20 spec.  Finally, on March 12, 2014  (see post 37) Ford issued this

Mar 12 2014 4717 -2014 Fusion and MKZ Hybrid/Energi - Oil Viscosity Specification Change

The oil viscosity recommendation of 5W-20 on the oil fill caps on some 2014 Fusion and MKZ Hybrid/Energi vehicles may appear to conflict with the owner guide and other service publications which recommend 0W-20 oil. Both 0W-20 oil and 5W-20 oil are approved for use in these vehicles.

Had my oil changed at the dealer over the weekend, for reasons I'll go into elsewhere, and requested 0W20 full synthetic, offered at a premium price... was very surprised to find a 6-packl box of oil in the car with one, partial bottle remaining... even more surprised to find it was generic auto parts store oil! Apparently, the dealer didn't have a Ford-branded option; something to consider if using a dealer for oil changes (as I will while under warranty).

This is the third oil change, at ~25K miles, with all prior changes using Ford 5W20 synth blend. The oil monitor had not yet activated, but with 9,840 on the oil and other factors necessitating a dealer visit, I decided it was time. As at 15K, I sent a sample to Blackstone Labs for analysis, and will report findings when they arrive.

Have fun,

Frank

I sent a sample to Blackstone Labs for analysis, and will report findings when they arrive.

I just ordered the test kit.  Going to use it as a base test on my wife's new Energi.  

If you haven't read their FAQ, it is quite witty:  http://www.blackstone-labs.com/faq.php    I found this nugget (lights fuse and runs away):  

What's the best oil to use?

Ah, the million dollar question. We are an independent lab, so we don't make recommendations. It has been our experience that oil is oil, and either petroleum or synthetic-based oil will work well for just about any engine.

Come on, you're holding out on me. I should use synthetic, right?

Buddy, you should use whatever you want. Synthetic oil won't guarantee a longer engine life any more than my eating organic food will guarantee I'll live until I'm 90. We here at Blackstone generally use regular petroleum-based oil because honestly, it works just as well for us.

Very true...

But you won't find bypass filters and extended drain intervals with anything but synthetic, due to synthetic's naturally wider viscosity range, eliminating most "viscostiy improvers" required to get dino-juice to stay thin cold, but still thick warm. I am using synthetic due to the short ICE duty cycle in summer, and lack of ICE heat retention in winter. Under ideal conditions, my ICE never gets to operating temperture for very long, and lots of cold starts qualifies as "stress conditions" in my book, even if the engine's only on 1/3 to 1/4 of the time.

Make sure you request "TBN" aka total base number, a measure of the remaining buffering compound in the oil, and $10 extra. When I tested my oil at 15K (10K on oil), TBN was quite low,

HAve fun,

Frank

I just ordered the test kit.  Going to use it as a base test on my wife's new Energi.  

If you haven't read their FAQ, it is quite witty:  http://www.blackstone-labs.com/faq.php    I found this nugget (lights fuse and runs away):  

What's the best oil to use?

Ah, the million dollar question. We are an independent lab, so we don't make recommendations. It has been our experience that oil is oil, and either petroleum or synthetic-based oil will work well for just about any engine.

Come on, you're holding out on me. I should use synthetic, right?

Buddy, you should use whatever you want. Synthetic oil won't guarantee a longer engine life any more than my eating organic food will guarantee I'll live until I'm 90. We here at Blackstone generally use regular petroleum-based oil because honestly, it works just as well for us.

fotomoto, are you clear yet??? :)  :)

What a statement to make.  I guess they could care less about manufacturers' specifications and engine warranty ("use whatever you want").  As I've said before Blackstone's comments are generally generic and meaningless.  I guess I'm expecting too much from them.   

Very true...

But you won't find bypass filters and extended drain intervals with anything but synthetic, due to synthetic's naturally wider viscosity range, eliminating most "viscostiy improvers" required to get dino-juice to stay thin cold, but still thick warm. I am using synthetic due to the short ICE duty cycle in summer, and lack of ICE heat retention in winter. Under ideal conditions, my ICE never gets to operating temperture for very long, and lots of cold starts qualifies as "stress conditions" in my book, even if the engine's only on 1/3 to 1/4 of the time.

Make sure you request "TBN" aka total base number, a measure of the remaining buffering compound in the oil, and $10 extra. When I tested my oil at 15K (10K on oil), TBN was quite low,

HAve fun,

Frank

They have your vehicles engine listed as a 1.6L :drop: