Sound too loud but not adjustable

I don't *think* I'm going to get much help here (I can't even get Rebecca to respond to me) but on the off chance that someone has an idea I'll run it by.

Ever since they applied the GPS "fix" to my MFT system (and whatever other fixes they may have applied) the turn instructions are WAY too loud.  I can't decrease them, not by turning down the system voice, not by using the sound controls on the steering wheel, and not by using the voice command "Navigation Voice Volume Decrease" (although it DOES respond to me as if it is doing so, but then doesn't).  I've tried removing the SD card to reboot with no luck.  I'd rather not reset the system if I can avoid it, although that might be my last thing to try.

I also noticed this morning that making a call to "Services" the voice prompts were also WAY TOO LOUD -- again, with no way to turn them down that I could find.  I'm old, but my hearing is still pretty good and this was like someone yelling in my ear.

I'd rather not try a dealer solution -- they don't seem to understand MFT much and without the TSBs posted here on the GPS fix I think they would have been lost.  If there is a place I can call to talk to a SYNC support person I'll try that (I haven't gone looking too much for that but I will).  In the meantime, does anyone have a clue as to what might be happening here (or at least something else I can try)?

Ah -- just talked with SYNC support.

(One interesting thing he did say -- they aren't *really* tech support.  Your dealer is your tech support.  The SYNC support folks only help interpret the manual for us).

About the only thing he could suggest was resetting the system.  I will lose everything -- favorites, radio stations, phone pairings, etc.  But perhaps it will work.  No TSBs out for this issue, but after that I should contact my dealer.

Sigh.  I guess I will try this, against my better judgement (IMX reboots don't solve many problems except for major system failures).  Whether I take it back to the dealer is another thing entirely.

No, tried that (see above, where I say I turn down the system voice -- and the system voice DOES turn down, just not the turn directions or other, random, prompts).

It's wacky and perhaps a master reset will fix it.  I'm just loathe to do that right now (there really ought to be some way to save all your settings and then reload them in again.  You know, like a REAL computer).

No, tried that (see above, where I say I turn down the system voice -- and the system voice DOES turn down, just not the turn directions or other, random, prompts).

It's wacky and perhaps a master reset will fix it.  I'm just loathe to do that right now (there really ought to be some way to save all your settings and then reload them in again.  You know, like a REAL computer).

I added some images to my original post. Have a look. It's there. You have 3 different choices.

Edited by drdiesel1

No, mine will not.

Diesel, you have a completely different system than I do.  What version of the NAV system are you running?  Mine is 3.48.9, and I am told that is the latest.  It does NOT have those two NAV screens you show.  The tech I talked with in fact said the only way you can adjust voice commands was by USING the voice command "Navigation Voice Volume Decrease" (or "Increase") which you show as a touch command but does not exist within my system.

My hunch is that you have not updated to the latest (and that in the latest they "fixed" things by removing those very useful features, just like they removed the lower case option from Navigation Favorites).  Unfortunately, I can't go backwards that I know of (and I suspect I *was* in an older version which did not have the GPS fix, and when they "fixed" that they also screwed up my volume).

My only hope is a reset but I'm not all that hopeful.

Edited by Kelleytoons

Ah -- D-man, you WERE helpful (although probably not in the way you think :>).

It turns out you are NOT running the latest software, but even having this information was helpful to the Ford SYNC tech I just talked with.  He said they removed those volume controls from Navigation, but showed me another place to find them and I was able to get things fixed (I hope -- haven't *actually* tried it out on a real route yet, but I'm very hopeful).  I did NOT have to do a reset (and the tech indeed did not feel it was the kind of problem that required that).

So, thanks.

Ah -- D-man, you WERE helpful (although probably not in the way you think :>).

It turns out you are NOT running the latest software, but even having this information was helpful to the Ford SYNC tech I just talked with.  He said they removed those volume controls from Navigation, but showed me another place to find them and I was able to get things fixed (I hope -- haven't *actually* tried it out on a real route yet, but I'm very hopeful).  I did NOT have to do a reset (and the tech indeed did not feel it was the kind of problem that required that).

So, thanks.

As stated above ^^^ you can just turn the voice volume down with the audio knob while the voice is active.

Who's not running the latest software ? Me?

Right, you are not.  They removed those Navigation Volume controls from the touch screen (the voice commands still are in place for them, although they don't seem to work).  The SYNC tech said they removed them because they were trying to simplify things for folks (sigh).

I can't get the voice volume down with the audio knob but I'm hopeful that what the tech had me do will fix the issue for all (apparently there is just now the two voice command controls -- one for system response, one for voice prompts OTHER than system, and they look identical so it's confusing as to which is which.  Why there isn't just one overall voice response command volume control I don't get).

Have you tried downloading and installing the available SYNC 'Troubleshooting Utilities' volume control software solution (linked on this page)?

post-1940-0-56208100-1408219951_thumb.png

We have the basic SYNC (not MyFordTouch), so there might not be anything to download for the higher-level systems, and might not apply to the NAV system at all.

In any case, you must be registered with SYNC, and you must be logged-in to your SYNC account to download the software.

Edited by kostby

We have one of the first year SEL's  with MFT.  The answer is to turn sound off or you will be driven crazy.  We can adjust it (briefly with the audio knob) and briefly by going into settings.  Master re-set fixes things briefly too.  Then it is back to shouting the next time you turn your car off LOL.  So we keep it turned off unless we are in unfamiliar territory. 

Laurel,

You should take it to the dealer (after first making sure you have the latest SYNC firmware as well as the NAV firmware I reference above).

Mine is fixed now and after turning the car off and starting up three times (and taking three different trips) the voice volume stayed correctly low.  So I'm confident this new firmware does indeed solve the problem.  It's now just perfect (I can hear Maximis say the street turns and yet have my music up loud -- only thing that isn't *perfect* would be if she would pause the music like she does when "listening" instead of just muting the music volume while she talks).

Right, you are not.  They removed those Navigation Volume controls from the touch screen (the voice commands still are in place for them, although they don't seem to work).  The SYNC tech said they removed them because they were trying to simplify things for folks (sigh).

I can't get the voice volume down with the audio knob but I'm hopeful that what the tech had me do will fix the issue for all (apparently there is just now the two voice command controls -- one for system response, one for voice prompts OTHER than system, and they look identical so it's confusing as to which is which.  Why there isn't just one overall voice response command volume control I don't get).

MFT says it's Gen-II Ver. 3.6.2. That's the latest on the website and it was installed when the car was built on May 24th of 2014.

Someones feeding you a line of crap. ;)

Kelley I will put it on the list for when we go in.  I hate going in so I wasn't the right person to buy a C-Max with all of these re-calls etc.  We are due to go back in September which is soon.  Our dealership isn't one like Jus' which is great with hybrids.  Ours is great with pickups.

No, I suspect what the tech meant was you aren't running the latest NAV software (unless you have A5 -- do you have it?)

Like I said, I do NOT have those sound volume options you have -- they don't exist anymore.

Ver. 5 of the nav software has nothing to do with the cars software. I am running ver. 4 of the nav software,

but it's not gonna change my nav systems firmware or what displays in the settings menu. The nav software

only changes the maps (new roads ETC.), POI's and other map display info.

Your so called tech is a little confused. ;)

Kelley I will put it on the list for when we go in.  I hate going in so I wasn't the right person to buy a C-Max with all of these re-calls etc.  We are due to go back in September which is soon.  Our dealership isn't one like Jus' which is great with hybrids.  Ours is great with pickups.

All these recalls ????? What, maybe 3 recalls ? OMG!  I hate to tell you, but any first year model will have recalls and updates.

All cars will have firmware updates. Lots of cars have recalls too and can happen anytime. GM is a good for instance :spend:

I'm still installing updates on 2005's and up vehicle everyday. It's a common practice on computer controlled vehicles.

Maybe a 41 DeSoto would be a better car in you situation as you are often complaining about the C-MAX for normal

and common service requirements in today's automotive industry.

You won't find a new car that has ZERO recalls or ZERO updates. The DeSoto won't :drop:

Edited by drdiesel1

^^^^ Yes and the C-Max is a great car as well as being a high tech machine.  Don't be so hard on it. It's a good car

if you think about it. Yes, they have updates and a few recalls, but it's normal. Yes, it's an inconvenience to take it in.

It will get better ;)

I'm lucky as I own the Ford IDS and update my own car. I hate letting anyone touch my vehicles. My 2014 Ram Diesel Pick-up

has a recall and 4 updates, but I'm in no hurry to take it to the dealer. I hate the way they handle vehicles. The lot is too small

and the last time I had a car in for service, they door dinged it. IDIOTS!

Edited by drdiesel1

Doc -- don't think he's confused.  Like I said, it does NOT show on my screens the way it shows on yours, and the tech confirmed this is correct for all the latest versions.  So perhaps YOU are confused <bg>.  (It happens to me all the time -- mostly a function of getting older so I don't really mind :>).

Laurel -- going in isn't any big deal.  But if your dealership isn't a place you feel comfortable, go somewhere else.  There isn't a monopoly on fixing the C-Max, at least in terms of dealerships.  Any Ford dealer can and should do the warranty stuff for you and it *should* be the same.  Even if you had to drive an hour it might be worth it just to get to a place you like (our dealership is 40 minutes away and when the day comes that I don't like making the drive I'll go to our local dealership which is only about 8 miles away).

Doc -- don't think he's confused.  Like I said, it does NOT show on my screens the way it shows on yours, and the tech confirmed this is correct for all the latest versions.  So perhaps YOU are confused <bg>.  (It happens to me all the time -- mostly a function of getting older so I don't really mind :>).

Laurel -- going in isn't any big deal.  But if your dealership isn't a place you feel comfortable, go somewhere else.  There isn't a monopoly on fixing the C-Max, at least in terms of dealerships.  Any Ford dealer can and should do the warranty stuff for you and it *should* be the same.  Even if you had to drive an hour it might be worth it just to get to a place you like (our dealership is 40 minutes away and when the day comes that I don't like making the drive I'll go to our local dealership which is only about 8 miles away).

My system is the Sony MFT with NAV. It's up to date as far as firmware.

Like I said, the Nav map software has nothing to do with the systems firmware. It's for MAP display only.