End of the C-Max near?

bro1999

According to this article, the C-Max line will be discontinued by 2018, and there will be no Gen 2 C-Max. Instead, a new 'dedicated hybrid' will be introduced as a MY 2019 model. Seems to be disagreement with what 'dedicated' means though. InsideEVs seems to think that hybrid/Energi versions of the Focus and Escape will be what replaces the C-Max, while the Reuter's source says it will be a brand new line based on the future platform of the Focus and Escape. Either way, it seems our C-Max's will soon just be another footnote in history.

As long as Ford is planning a PHEV SUV (Escape Energi or whatever it ends up being called), I'll can't be too sad. Too bad it won't be released by the time my current lease ends.

http://insideevs.com/compact-ford-plug-hybrid-coming-new-c2-platform-2018/

Edited by bro1999

2018 is still someways away, who knows what state of the world would be..so I am not concerned. Anyway, that might suit me nicely to finally replace Maxine if we are all still alive & kicking. She'll still be clocking way over the original EPA 47 MPG anyway  ;)

ps who knows by that time, Ford should have a :banghead:  moronConsumer Report :airquote: professional driver proof > 38 MPG hybrid that can drive around their piddly track   :stirpot:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

"The C-Max Hybrid and C-Max Energi will be replaced by hybrid and PHEV versions of the Escape (to compete with Prius V), while the Focus will get hybrid and Energi models to take on the Prius and Prius Plug-In Hybrid." I wouldn't call this bad news.

I had a Mazda Tribute, a joint venture vehicle between Ford and Mazda, and it was almost identical to the Escape. I had no problems with that car, but I was getting less than 20 MPG.  When I purchased my C-MAX, my original goal was to find something like an Escape but with 40+ MPG. I am willing to bet that a good portion of the people that bought C-MAXes would have gone for a Hybrid/Plug-in Escape (with pretty close to the same fuel economy) over the C-MAX, if such a thing had still existed and were reasonably priced.

Maybe, by the time that they come out with that Escape, they will have figured out how to make it get great FE while handling like what we are driving today, just in a bigger version.

I think this is overly speculative.  A Focus which gives up so many of the popular features of the C-Max, and an 'SUV' too tall for good aerodynamics ..... they might sell more, but they would not measure up to a C-Max.  The Focus would have to grow, and/or the Escape shrink for it to work for us - in other words a C-Max !!!.  Anyway, we all know a rework of the C-Max, or retooled other models is always in the pipeline, just a matter of time ..... and not always for the better.

Indeed, it will take several years for Ford or anybody to come up with an encore for our C-Max - it is so good !. We will hopefully be driving ours for another 10 years or more, Lord willing - 45-50 mpg year in, year out.

JMInitialHO / 2 cents worth,

Nick

Felt so sorry for an older gent (6'1" ish) I saw the other day.  He had a 2013 Focus and had trouble getting in - very sad.

(( I could never develop the UNskill  necessary to be a CR driver, no matter how hard I tried ))

Edited by C-MaxSea

If my C-Max does as well as my Olds Intrigue, which I loved driving for 16 yrs, it will have stood the test of time... IMHO.

Btw... when GM closed Olds & didn't take the Intrigue over to Buick, I figured those GM folks were just plain dumb & didn't even consider buying GM again.

Of course, if this IS true (and could be) then we might also be in luck with pricing on the 2017 models (or 2018, depending on which is the actual last year of production).  I mean, let's pretend for a minute that the 2014 models were the last year.  Can you imagine how frantic dealers would be starting about now to try and get them off their lots knowing there wasn't a "new" model coming?  Might make for some *real* nice deals.

It's a little early for me to want another one then (I really am looking at the 2018 model year, sometime in 2019) but who knows?  I might just luck out.

If my C-Max does as well as my Olds Intrigue, which I loved driving for 16 yrs, it will have stood the test of time... IMHO.

Btw... when GM closed Olds & didn't take the Intrigue over to Buick, I figured those GM folks were just plain dumb & didn't even consider buying GM again.

I have to agree as a former Aurora owner -- before I bought my C-Max.  

I don't know what's really going on at Ford but my guess is that C-Max is taking a sales beating because CR has it down as the most unreliable car.   Many of us have had "recalls" for what boils down to on-board computer modifications and CR is using these recalls in its analysis.  If we had bought new-generation computers. they would probably have a lot of modifications that would have been sent to us on-line.  No need to take a computer into the store for this -- unlike an automobile.

Given my GM experience, I hope Ford continues to support our C-Maxes for many years after they decide not to build anymore -- if that becomes the case.

Do you think this is why you are seeing such great deals nationwide on the C-Max? I've seen several dealerships that are close to 20% off of MSRP with the current incentives.

I was in my local dealership last night and one of the salesman flat out told me that these aren't selling and this was while we were talking about our interest in them.

C-max sales undoubtedly suffer from the bad reputation related to ownner dissatisfaction over problems with Sync, My-ford Touch and - most importantly - the 12-volt system.

Do or do not the Fusion Hybrid and Fusion Energi models have these same systems - and all of the attendant problems?

If they do not, then why could not Ford have solved all of the C-max problems at the 2014 model year by simply using the Fusion components?

If they do, then why would consumer dissatisfaction not extend to the Fusion models and hour those sales ?  And why would Forn not discontinue those models as well?

I wouldn't chalk up bad reputation to the battery issues.  Or even SYNC problems.

CR was undoubtedly the biggest issue.  That and knocking down the EPA mileage claims (yes, that impacted other cars as well but we're talking C-Max here.  And then lack of advertising dollars spent.  So a niche car about 95 folks out of 100 haven't even heard of it, and the other 5 have probably heard/seen the CR article and/or the EPA news that dinged it.  Heck, I was *researching* what to buy and had never even heard of this vehicle.  What I read put it on my radar, but so low down that it was not even in consideration (I can thank my Ford salesman for bumping it up to the top of my list).

I could care less for resale value, but then I keep my vehicles until they HAVE none (our Durango is 15 years old and may well last another 10).  But I do hope that Ford doesn't give up on hybrids, or even electrics, and particularly in this form factor (the Fusion wasn't a vehicle that would have met any of our needs).  Like others here, I'm skeptical we will see a hybrid SUV (or at least one that doesn't give C-Max mpg numbers) so I'm holding my breath that even if Ford "discontinues" our beloved babies their new car is essentially just a renamed (and, yes, improved) version of it.

The linked article seems to be written by someone who really doesn't know much about the auto industry. Consequently, their conclusions are incorrect. It's entirely possible for Ford to build a dedicated hybrid model on the C2 chassis, while that chassis can separately underpin the Escape and Focus. In fact, that's exactly what Ford is doing with the current Escape, Focus, and yes, C-Max. All of them are build on variants of the same chassis architecture. 

It sounds like Ford has decided to address the Prius head on. Good. The C-Max won't be going anywhere - it is sold in sufficient numbers in Europe in gas and diesel versions to support its ongoing development. We simply won't see a Hybrid and PEH model in the U.S..

The most exciting part of this news is that this new model will most likely have a more purpose built chassis that better packages the battery. That alone (especially for this Energi owner) will be a great improvement.

I can see this for sure.  The C-max sales are not that great but they did pretty well at first and then received bad press for the FE and now dependability.  A run of 5 years for a car is fairly normal.  On to the next generation of the hybrids.  Sales are kind of slow for many OEM's for hybrids, except Toyota,  but they are building.  As the cost comes down, sales go up.  A few of my co-workers are buying cars now and most say it is too costly for the C-max.  One said he can get a Fusion, a bigger car for $17K.  

Ford had the Escape Hybrid before and it could come back.  Also designing a hybrid car from the ground up is what car manufactures do for a serious hybrid model.  I like the C-max but it was not designed for high FE with its shape. Looks like Ford will have a serious hybrid model as well as other car lines with hybrid options.  Enjoy the C-Max while it is here.  

Many ICE cars have a limited life span too.  My Scion xB was a very popular car and the 1st gen was sold for less than 4 years.  The replacement was a dud in sales and many 1st gen owners, including myself, hated it.  

Ford took risks in developing the North American C-MAX as a Hybrid, instead of importing proven (German) diesel and Eco-boost engines and DSG transmissions easily capable of delivering 40 to 60 mpg or more. That's the problem with sharing 'world cars': Not every world market has the same transportation priorities.

I'd guess that manufacturing and the supply chain were probably targeting initial sales of 5,000 C-MAX's a month (and they actually approached that combined number ONCE, in November, 2012, likely due to early fleet orders). Who knows what the first-year sales target was? 50,000, 75,000, maybe 100,000?

In July 2014, two years after introduction, Ford has sold just under 65,000 (50,000 C-MAX Hybrids and 15,000 C-MAX Energis) and has yet to achieve consistent combined sales of 3,000 a month.

Meanwhile, the Ford Escape continues to sell in excess of 25,000 per month, despite differences in fuel economy and similarity in price. Escape outsells every single North American Ford vehicle EXCEPT the F-150.

And the North American C-MAX remains a niche product, selling just a bit faster than best selling Lincoln model, the MKZ.

Is it any wonder that a new Escape Hybrid is in the works for 2019?

July 2014 Ford and Lincoln US Sales stats here.

Edited by kostby

IMO, some of us here are jus as much to blame for the negativity & poor rep of the CMax as Consumer Reports - all while driving perfectly fine CMaxs. While I do not believe in p*ssing in ones house to prove a point the house is not perfect, I jus rather keep driving and doing all I can to give positive input & comments even when I was selected for many survey reports back in 2013.

I hope Ford listened and only time will tell.

I have always said, I intend to keep my Maxine for sometime. Why not? I drive to work & play and get 63+ MPG and > 800 miles per tank. I drive to Mammoth and I score 42 to 47 MPG driving freeway. There is nothing wrong with my CMax and she was rear ended with frame damage back in October 13. Infact, my MPG improved after that...go figure.

Having said that, I will always be excited by what Ford produces - if they can come up with something better, I am all for it. More MPGs with real car handling characteristic - brilliant. While we enjoy a lull in gas prices, its inevitable that prices will go up with wars and with politic ostriches with their a$$ up and head buried in their nirvana world of sand "Come f* me" - you betcha the middle east loons will come to collect that call.  As such, I figure with my current MPG, I can still drive to work and back very comfortably financially even if the prices double. Actually, I probably see my MPG improve more as the giant gas pigs are off the road and the road is clear and light/no traffic...MPG booyah!

ps while the Escape are abundant, I am seeing a lot more CMaxs around here in LA.

Jus my 1c

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

We have had a drop in gas prices about .30 cents from 4 buck plus on average. I stopped at a red light and looked

at the pandemonium going on at a corner gas station :drop:  I have almost 1200 miles on my C-Max and was

thinking to myself about how I don't really need to be stuck in that situation much anymore. My C-Max is a great

car and it's currently the only car, I could consider owning. I sold my 13 and had to replace it within 4 months with the 14.

I have not had any problems with either car, but the 14 is a 303A package and it's fantastic :happy feet: