Because we care...

Kelleytoons

I almost titled this "Because we love" but I have a peccadillo about using the word "love" for anything inanimate (you can't "love" something that isn't alive but I don't want to get into that discussion here).

I saw a thread today about someone buying fuses for their C-Max to keep in the glovebox and my first thought was "I want that!" and I came to the interesting realization that Maximis has inspired me to care about vehicles again in a way I never thought I would.

I suspect I'm a lot older than most of you (not all, but most) and in my younger days I also had my passion for my rides, tricking them up and getting them "stuff" like you'd buy a new girlfriend goodies to keep her (and you :>) happy.  I had thought those days had long passed -- indeed, I was *certain* that all the joy and desire of anything that got me from one place to another was gone.  Just transport -- nothing I saw in the street inspired me to even want it, and only the fact that our Durango was in a place where long journeys just weren't practical anymore (and even reliability was in question) made me start looking for a new car.

And even then the list of vehicles was...meh.  Okay, but nothing heart pounding, and while I looked forward to having reliable means of moving around I never thought I'd care much one way or the other about what it would be.  And then I met the C-Max.

So now I feel like I'm in my 20's again, back when dinosaurs (the place we get our fuel) ruled the earth.  I bought a complete emergency kit, the roadside stuff recommended by AAA, a battery jumper, got my tunes back in order, bought six gas cards (20% off the gas price, so effectively I'm getting gas at around 2.60 per gallon right now)... and try and dream up places I need to go just to get in and take a drive.

I don't think this would have happened with most other vehicles -- certainly not with the others that were on my short list (actually, the C-Max wasn't even ON my short list.  That was due to our Ford salesman, thank God).  It certainly hasn't happened in many decades now, of a lot of other new ones.

Perhaps it will wear off -- I've only put about 2K miles on it -- but right now it's about the best piece of technology I own (and I own a lot of pretty cool stuff -- as a former IT person I tend to still live on the bleeding edge and get stuff I probably should have waited to mature).  I sure *hope* I never get to the point I take it for granted (if so, I can always take a short trip in the Durango to remind me <g>).

Edited by Kelleytoons

I've written about this before after I went through it and then saw the same pattern occurring to others originally on the prius forum but now other forums too.

Newbie Phase:  Overwhelmed by all the tech and the new driving dynamics. 

Student Phase:  Research, learning, forum Q&A  

Competitor Phase:  Pushing your personal boundaries in fuel economy, putting your new knowledge to work. 

Veteran Phase:  Continuing the mileage challenge or just driving it.  Helping others, etc.

My "love" is and has always been motorcycles so I have viewed cars as simply appliances but hybrids have changed that.   

Enjoy the ride!   :shift:

Edited by fotomoto

Well, I can help Scuba (because he lives in Florida) but I don't know about you, Jaz.

Every couple of weeks Publix has the gas cards for sale, $50 gas card for $40 (along with a purchase of $50 but with grocery prices the way they are that's NO problem at all -- I spend at least $150 per week at Publix and for that I can buy 3 gas cards).  You need to watch for the sale on Thursday mornings (you can check online then) or, if you get stuff delivered (like a newspaper -- I understand they are hard copy printouts of items like you can see on the internet, but never had one myself :>) you'll get the sale stuff Wednesday night.  Sales start on Friday (which is why, if you've ever shopped at Publix, they are sometimes VERY crowded on Friday mornings).

They've been doing this for years now but up until the C-Max I never bought one (I know -- it's a long story).  Now I get them every chance I get.  The sales are unpredictable but they have at least one every month (they have had them every two weeks now for the last six weeks, though).  They sell Shell, Rac-Trac and one other I don't remember (might be Hess, but don't quote me.  I always get the Shell because a Shell station we pass every week always has the best prices of any local gas).

Well, I can help Scuba (because he lives in Florida) but I don't know about you, Jaz.

Every couple of weeks Publix has the gas cards for sale, $50 gas card for $40 (along with a purchase of $50 but with grocery prices the way they are that's NO problem at all -- I spend at least $150 per week at Publix and for that I can buy 3 gas cards). You need to watch for the sale on Thursday mornings (you can check online then) or, if you get stuff delivered (like a newspaper -- I understand they are hard copy printouts of items like you can see on the internet, but never had one myself :>) you'll get the sale stuff Wednesday night. Sales start on Friday (which is why, if you've ever shopped at Publix, they are sometimes VERY crowded on Friday mornings).

They've been doing this for years now but up until the C-Max I never bought one (I know -- it's a long story). Now I get them every chance I get. The sales are unpredictable but they have at least one every month (they have had them every two weeks now for the last six weeks, though). They sell Shell, Rac-Trac and one other I don't remember (might be Hess, but don't quote me. I always get the Shell because a Shell station we pass every week always has the best prices of any local gas).

Does Publix do this in states other than FL? They are just starting to have stores in NC. In the Charlotte area they have a few open and a bunch under construction. In the RTP area the first one will open soon in Cary and more are planned.

Publix was rumored to be one of the potential buyers of Harris Teeter, which would have meant a lot of Publix stores very quickly but they wound up being bought by Kroger.

Well, since I don't live elsewhere I can't say.  It's certainly all the stores in the central Florida area (because they are covered by the ads).  You might check your local ad online and see (like I said, they do it at least once a month so look for it every week for a while).

I could kind of kick myself for not doing it before we got Maximis but honestly, while other folks around here talked about it for years I never paid it too much attention.  Now I can't imagine passing up a week they offer it (even though we won't use the kind of gas we were using before).

Over a years worth of ownership between the 13 and 14. I missed my 13 so much, I had to get another one.

For me at this point in my life, the C-Max is the only car for me. Everything else is just plain and boring to drive.

It just hasn't been like my other cars were I loose the excitement to drive it. It's just so much fun to run around in EV mode.

The car is so quite when sitting at a light or rolling down a nice back road with the birds chirping away. People look and

do the double take when they can't hear it running. I like rolling though the neighborhood without making noise.

Some people never even notice the car while they're deep in conversation. I just quietly roll by and enjoy the lack of noise.

The speed limit has become the new normal driving speed. Nobody gives you a dirty look as you roll by at the speed limit.

Edited by drdiesel1

The speed limit has become the new normal driving speed. Nobody gives you a dirty look as you roll by at the speed limit.

So very true.

And not that I was much of a speeder before (never really exceeded 5 or so over posted) but I now find it very peaceful to drive slightly *under* the limit -- never impeding traffic, mind you, but just cruising along enjoying my tune and my high mpg.

Right, and I found in general that the Wynn-Dixie stuff doesn't pay off in general because you have to buy gas at places where the gas is more than you would save (because it's rarely as much as $1 and more like a few cents).  And it's more complicated than just using the gas card (which is really just like a credit card).

But you guys should definitely do the Publix thing -- if nothing more, you could shop at them once a month and then do Wynn-Dixie (assuming that's your regular thing) the rest of the time (I will stop by them to get their rotisserie turkey, speaking of which I should do so soon :>).

Edited by Kelleytoons

Thanks for the info about Publix, I didn't know that you could get gas discounts there! As for Wynn-Dixie they send out a weekly flyer and it shows which items

have "fuel perks" for the week. They start from 5 cents up to 25 cents per gallon off per item. The thing you have to be careful about is buying a bunch of things

that you don't need just to get the gas savings!

Then, when you go to Sunoco you have to swipe your Wynn-Dixie card first then your Credit Card to get the discount. My Wife has it pretty well figured out and

quite often she gets gas for well below $3 per gallon!!! :rockon:

Yeah -- like I said, the gas card is MUCH easier (just shop regularly and use the card as you would your debit/credit card).

If your wife is that good at doing the more complicated stuff she ought to be able to keep an eye out for the Publix gas card sales (quite honestly since I shop there once a week I just ask, although it's usually easy to tell because if I'm there on Fridays it's pretty busy with everyone wanting the cards).

So how do you like your new Ram? I have a 2004 Ram Quad Cab with the Hemi, definitely a gas hog!!!

I've owned a 1996, a 2002, a 2006, a 2007, and now the 2014. They were all diesel powered.

It's the only truck for me. The 2006 was the best 5.9L, but nothing compares to the 2014.

Stock it's 375 HP with 800 lb/ft of torque. It was very impressive stock. It's very quiet and smooth.

I've added a programmer with 6 levels or power/torque add-on's. I run level 3 that adds 50 HP

and 120 lb/ft.  It really works well and I average 20 MPG. On road trips, it gets 24 mpg.

It's the best Ram yet, IMO.

• POWER LEVEL 1: 25 HP & 70 lb-ft
  • POWER LEVEL 2: 40 HP & 90 lb-ft
  • POWER LEVEL 3: 50 HP & 120 lb-ft
  • POWER LEVEL 4: 65 HP & 160 lb-ft
  • POWER LEVEL 5: 80 HP & 200 lb-ft
  • POWER LEVEL 6 (HOT UNLOCK): 150 HP & 360 lb-ft
  • IN-CAB MONITORING
  • COLOR SCREEN
  • CUSTOM BACKGROUND/ MYSTYLE
  • SCREEN AUTO-DIM
  • COMPATIBLE WITH EAS
  • ALERTS AND RECORDS
  • PERFORMANCE TESTS
  • DISPLAY TRUE SPEED ON MONITOR
  • TIRE SIZE : 26^ - 42^
  • AXLE GEAR RATIO
  • DATA ACQUISITION
  • DTC READ CLEAR
  • INTERNET UPDATES
  • PERFORMANCE TUNES
  • TOW TUNE
  • ECONOMY TUNE

post-1464-0-78777800-1410417210_thumb.jpg

post-1464-0-13586300-1410417226_thumb.jpg

Edited by drdiesel1

I've written about this before after I went through it and then saw the same pattern occurring to others originally on the prius forum but now other forums too.

Newbie Phase:  Overwhelmed by all the tech and the new driving dynamics. 

Student Phase:  Research, learning, forum Q&A  

Competitor Phase:  Pushing your personal boundaries in fuel economy, putting your new knowledge to work. 

Veteran Phase:  Continuing the mileage challenge or just driving it.  Helping others, etc.

My "love" is and has always been motorcycles so I have viewed cars as simply appliances but hybrids have changed that.   

Enjoy the ride!   :shift:

Well stated. Maps right into the "conscioius/competent" matrix for learning.

Frank