New buyers think carefully about what model you order

Laurel

I have been reading this forum for the past six weeks or so. After reading each and every post from new C-Max owners, it jumps out at me that people need to carefully review the features of the model that they are buying. It seems that some people have been unclear about what comes with the model that they have purchased, and then they are disappointed that they don't have an upgraded feature. One of the items is the hands free feature where you just kick your foot under the tail gait to open the rear hatch/door. Yes, with the SE it will open automatically when you push a button inside, but the hands free only comes with the SEL. Another thing is the DVD feature which is only available with the SEL. The upgraded sound system is only available with the SEL. The back up camera comes with SEL as does the Myford Touch. It seems some people are adding on various things that they are missing such as camera or better speakers etc. So I think potential buyers should really think it through about which model to buy. When were were at the dealership taking our demo ride, we found that the salesperson knew less than we did about various features since this was their first C-Max and we had been reading about the C-Max for months. So do your reading and decide what you want before you buy. I can see that a person could nickle and dime themselves to death adding on features that will never be quite as nice as factory installed features. I have learned so much from reading about all your experiences and it has helped me and I really appreciate all the input from forum members.

Edited by Laurel

Rachel let us know what you think after your demo. Forgot to say that the push button start only comes with the SEL, and that might be a feature people want if they are getting arthritis in their hands or worry about less hand strength with aging. I know that that was a consideration for us. Gotta plan for these golden years <g>.

One of the items is the hands free feature where you just kick your foot under the tail gait to open the rear hatch/door. Yes, with the SE it will open automatically when you push a button inside, but the hands free only comes with the SEL.

You mean I have been swiping my foot behind my car for no reason? I really need to do more research on this stuff :D

Ford has done a good job of making it impossible to get things a la carte, so I agree you have a good point. I also found that the salesperson who sold me the car was (admittedly) not that familiar with the features - they even had stickers all over the vehicle I purchased (which was an SE) advertising the features like the liftgate which it does not have.

Having the base SE I am not missing any of the MFT stuff (and understood exactly what I was buying having configured several options online and deciding that the extra cost was not justifiable). That said, I would have liked to get the backup camera since the view out the back is not great. The problem (for me) with the built in cam (like most cars) is that it cannot be accessed unless the car is in reverse so that adds another layer of complexity on top of choosing options (I'd like to have it available anytime). I'd also considered the fogs if there was a simple way to add them using a kit which would likely be considerably cheaper than the jump to an SEL, but are something I can live without until then. Another example of knowing the limits of the optional gizmos, is AppLink, which is only on the base (yeah, what the heck, not on MFT?). Knowing the limits of the factory options is just another headache, and more difficult than going to ford.com and playing with the options.

Hahahaha. Oh yes. I can relate to those golden yrs and preparing for them. I have tried a few vehicles and scratched them off the list due to it being hard to get in and out of them already. I drive a Tahoe currently and have to climb up in it. I am hoping the cmax is not too low.

All the packages are crazy. This car just has these options. Oops. Not that option on this car. Sorry.

Laurel: Great Post!

One major item to note is that the sunroof does not open! It is a long, beautiful piece of plastic, It has a great power shade that opens and closes to block the sun. However, the roof itself is fixed in place and does not open. If you want the Sun beaming down on your head, pay $1200 for the roof. If you want the wind blowing through your hair, save the money and turn up the fan on the ventillation system! :) ;) :)

Rachel you will be very pleased with seat height. Seat height was one of our big criteria for buying a new car. I eliminated a lot of cars because of them being too low and awkward to get into. We were delighted with the seat height in the C-Max and how you don't have to wreck your back and bump your head getting into it.

From my reading (hope I read correctly), it is on the front center console below the climate controls to the right --hidden by the gear shift lever. A video I watched said that the driver looked forever before finding it there.

I'm not finding it on my SE.. Reading the manual, it says the switch is there for power liftgates but doesn't mention one for manual liftgates.

One of the package gripes I have is in order to have a power lift or upgraded stereo on the SEL model I must get navigation. I don't want nav. On the SE however you can get a power lift gate without nav. I would like to see the power lift gate or stereo upgrade be treated like the panoramic roof option. Simply add it separately without requiring navigation.

Edited by Chinto

I did a lot of research before buying my base SE but even during the financial transaction, the salespeople thought there were several features, like fog lights, which could be added to an SE. Only after many posts on many forums did I find out that it is almost impossible to add the lights using the switch that comes with the SEL. There were several features which are on the SEL that I wanted but I absolutely didn't want leather. I didn't want to buy an SEL and remove the leather covers and replace them with cloth either.

This has all been a learning process, as this is my first Ford. What I've learned, albeit too late and as others have stated on this and other Ford model forums, is that Ford bundles options and makes it rather difficult to add ones a la carte. However, it has been very helpful to post and get answers from other knowledgeable people about what options are possible and how to make them work. The dealers, for the most part, are not interested in this topic, though if anyone knows of a dealer who is, I'd welcome their contact info.

Thanks for the good information Laurel, I too found out the I knew more about the C-Max than anyone at the dealership did. I got the SEL because, I was driving an Infiniti QX and I wanted all of the same features, plus I think the resale/trade value is more if you have all of the options. Of course you have to pay for them up front but in the end they help the value. The sunroof was a problem, my wife did not like the fact that it did not open, but I don't usually open the sunroof anyway because it gets to hot and messes up my wife's hair. LOL. Having the view if nice though. And the seat height, that was a big selling point for us since I am over 6' and my wife is only 5' tall, being able to adjust the seat height is great, Seems that this car has a lot of handy features. The push button start is good too, now I find I have trouble getting in my truck and getting it started, funny how one can get used to changes so quickly.

Anyway good job on the topic

• 4 weeks later...

I think understanding the options package is the key and, personallly, Ford didn't make that too clear or easily understandable. I guess it suppose to be like McDonalds, you want Combo 1, 2 or 3 and supersize it. However, at the end of the day, the dealers order their cars with the various option mixes and you just go and pick up what you like can and whats affordable, and hopefully in the color that you want. I was lucky to find my CMax loaded up without the sunroof and in the Platinum White that I like a lot. 

One thing I would have loved is a short gear shift, not like the silly Prius short but lob off a couple of inches and it would have been perfect. My wish list.

• 2 months later...

Hello! 

I am in the process of buying a new C-Max Hybrid.  Although the Ford sales people are trying their best, it's quite apparent the folks in this forum know more about the C-Max than the sales folks.  You have all taught me so much, and for that I am very thankful (The tip on the extended warranty was HUGE! My dealership is quoting me $2900. Ridiculous!)!  I am in love with this vehicle.  As a petite person, I don't fit in most vehicles.  Either the steering wheel is against my chest, or my feet barely reach the gas pedal. =)  I fit perfectly in this vehicle, and I couldn't be more excited about it! =) 

I was wondering if anyone could clarify some options that are on the window sticker.  I want to make sure the car that we're moving to my location has what I want.  I was looking for "remote start" on the window sticker, but all I can find is "keyless entry/start/tailgate."  The automatic options for the SEL include "Intelligent access w/push button start."  What is the difference between all of these options? And does the "start" after keyless entry mean remote start?  I've asked my sales guy, and he keeps saying, "I think it's the remote."  I want to know what I'm buying before I pay the destination fee to move it here. = /

Any clarification is much appreciated! Thank you!

Gina

Gina, I sure hope others jump in here with more info. 

My experience is that we have the the "Intelligent access w/push button start", and it is fantastic.  'Look Mom, no keys'.  I just put the key in my pocket and I am done - once I walk up to the car (with key in pocket) I can unlock it by putting my hand in any of the door handles.  To lock the car all I have to do is touch either of the two thumb pads on the front doors with my thumb, not putting my fingers around the handle.  Now that I have the hang of it, I would never go back to key entry.  It is also nice not having keys dangling from the column anymore.  Nothing wrong with keys, but it is sweet to be able to leave them in the pocket or purse.  And the push button start is also fantastic & appropriate for the quiet start of a hybrid in EV mode.

Don't know about the remote stuff - we are lucky enough to have a garage and don't need remote start.

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSeattle

Hi Gina,

From my reading the remote start option is not factory installed and is only available after market (at the dealer).  The keyless entry/start/tailgate just means you don't have to put a key in the door/ignition to get that thing to happen.  Some of the others with these options can probably tell you more though.

Welcome to the forum Gina  :) 

The keyless start is brilliant and so is the intelligent access. You never need to pop a key into this car - but don't forget to lock the car, it's not a proximity lock but a proximity open. And it even knows if you don't shut down the engine and walk away...which is something I do now and then..hey no engine sound, easy to lose track if its on or off.... :runaway:

Gina, can't agree more with Nick: keyless entry is great!  As far as I know, the SE model doesn't have this (unless it's an added option), but is standard on the SEL.  The "start" refers to the ability to push a button to start the car without using the key.

This is totally separate from remote start, which allows you to start the car from a distance (say, you live in a cold area, and want to start the car a few minutes before you have to get in, so you can turn on the heat).  From posts on this forum, it seems that this is not a factory build, but a dealer add-on.  There are several posts around this site on this topic.  I would search on the term "remote start".

Good luck with your decision!  Enjoy the process.

Hi Gina, and welcome!

In my case, I ordered the remote start and paid for it with the rest of the car, but it was a dealer add-on after I got my car. The remote start for the C-Max wasn't available in November. But it is still covered by the bumper to bumper warranty. Now, my car was built in November, and the remote start was added in early January. So if your car was built after January it may already come with the remote start. I have the keyless entry too, with the fob and all, and another small fob for the remote start. There have been a couple of brutally cold days where I really appreciated having it.

A note about dealers......I'm still educating mine, by sending him links to this forum :happy feet:

So it sounds like you have found one and are doing a dealer trade. Wonderful! Because it seems that the wait times for ordering are getting longer.