Dead Battery for the fifth time

darlstuvick

Nice, so instead of using your starter maybe 3,000 over the course of your vehicle's life, you now use it 50,000 times. I wonder how long until those starters start dropping like flies.

NO!

It has a Hang-On, belt driven electric motor that has the capability to start the motor and regen battery power to the small HVB.

Here's the GM info. about how great it is.... :drop: A claimed...36MPG is NOT very good for the added cost, IMO.

The eAssist system uses power stored in the air-cooled, 115V Li-Ion battery and 15-kW motor-generator to provide an electrical boost in higher demand acceleration scenarios while also optimizing engine and transmission operation.

For better fuel economy. Other eAssist highlights include:

• Regenerative braking which provides up to 15 kW of electricity to charge the battery.
  • A taller final drive ratio for more efficient highway cruising.
  • Automatic engine start-stop functionality.
  • Aggressive fuel cut-off during deceleration to 0 mph.
  • Intelligent charge/discharge of the high-voltage battery.
  • Thanks to the Malibu Eco's eAssist technology, it is rated for 580 highway miles between fill-ups with its 15.8-gallon fuel tank.

I could buy a Honda Civic for way less and get better MPG.

Edited by drdiesel1

NO!

It has a Hang-On, belt driven electric motor that has the capability to start the motor and regen battery power to the small HVB.

Here's the GM info. about how great it is.... :drop: A claimed...36MPG is NOT very good for the added cost, IMO.

The eAssist system uses power stored in the air-cooled, 115V Li-Ion battery and 15-kW motor-generator to provide an electrical boost in higher demand acceleration scenarios while also optimizing engine and transmission operation.

For better fuel economy. Other eAssist highlights include:

• Regenerative braking which provides up to 15 kW of electricity to charge the battery.
  • A taller final drive ratio for more efficient highway cruising.
  • Automatic engine start-stop functionality.
  • Aggressive fuel cut-off during deceleration to 0 mph.
  • Intelligent charge/discharge of the high-voltage battery.
  • Thanks to the Malibu Eco's eAssist technology, it is rated for 580 highway miles between fill-ups with its 15.8-gallon fuel tank.

I could buy a Honda Civic for way less and get better MPG.

So it's not just a start/stop feature, the vehicle is a full-on hybrid then? If it has an electric motor HVB and regenerative braking, I would call that a standard hybrid.

I found this on the FORD NEW F150 site: for the 2.7L ECOBoost engine    "Auto start-stop feature shuts the engine off to save fuel when you come to a stop and restarts it immediately when the brake is released. Designed smart for truck applications, auto start-stop deactivates when it wouldn’t be needed such as when towing or running in 4-wheel drive." :)

Paul

So it's not just a start/stop feature, the vehicle is a full-on hybrid then? If it has an electric motor HVB and regenerative braking, I would call that a standard hybrid.

It has a small HVB that will allow the hang on motor to add assist on acceleration. I wouldn't call it a full on hybrid

with a tiny battery. It's more of an assist hybrid lite. It's enough to give it start/stop capability and some added

passing assist in a small amount. The system is more of an over sized alternator than an undersized hybrid system.

A serpentine belt is what allows the system to to connect to the engine, so it's pretty much a joke IMO.

Here's more info.

The system includes an all-in-one motor/generator that replaces the alternator, connected to 32 lithium-ion cells jammed into a 65-pound battery pack located aft of the rear seat. Via a rubber belt, the electric motor/generator—built in China, with no permanent magnets—contributes a bonus 15 horses to the crankshaft, mostly under wide-open throttle.

Edited by drdiesel1

From the link I gave earlier, it said 580 miles from 15.8 gal. 36.7 is what I came back with.

IIRC, they stopped making it. I think the last year was 2013.

Well damn, that's pretty good then for city. That's better than even the Smart car gets, and not that much worse than the CMAX. The real question would be how much extra does this feature cost. If it costs as much as a full on hybrid, than yea it sucks.

Edited by SPL Tech

Well damn, that's pretty good then for city. That's better than even the Smart car gets, and not that much worse than the CMAX. The real question would be how much extra does this feature cost. If it costs as much as a full on hybrid, than yea it sucks.

That's not a city MPG rating........It's their per tank rating. I would imagine it's similar to the C-Max rating of 620 on 20 bucks.

Pretty meaningless, IMO.  I would bet real world it's more like a combined MPG of under 35 as most are over rated.

My 1999 Honda Civic could do that without even trying. IMO, these types of designs are more about gimmicks to get

people to buy an over priced car with a shabby setup that costs next to nothing to produce. Most car buyers don't have

a clue of what they're buying anyways, so why not sell a wannabee system to the uneducated consumer masses.

Edited by drdiesel1

That system  is called the BAT (can't remember what it stands for, Belt Alternator something-or-other). It was used on their "hybird" Vue for a short time.

BTW, BMW uses engine stop technology.

That system  is called the BAT (can't remember what it stands for, Belt Alternator something-or-other). It was used on their "hybird" Vue for a short time.

BTW, BMW uses engine stop technology.

Yes, I believe the new 4 series and even the M4's use it.

Edited by drdiesel1

• 2 weeks later...

I came out ready to go to work on Tuesday and i had the dreaded dead battery. I after reading this forum had bought a small jump battery just for this case. I commute 61 miles each way every day so I did not want the issue of being stuck. Anyway I jumped it all seemed fine i drove to work and returned home with no issues. After about 10 mins arriving home we were going to dinner and got back in car and drove to dinner car dash warning lights went nuts, 5 different failures - traction control, engine overheat, restraint system, and a couple others I didnt write them down as i was trying to pull over. After turning car off and waiting a few minutes turning key back on all faults gone. Needless to say I took the car to the dealer the next day and there it sits.... it only has 10k miles on it so its all warranty. I will definatly seek the lemon law if I continue to have the issues that I see others are having.

Sorry, something strange is going on with the ETIS website.  MY car is showing up as a '14 Energi too. 

But I'm seeing an "SE" in there which leads me to believe you have the (unfortunately) model plagued with the most battery problems.

You should be using owner.ford.com to look up information about US-built C-MAX vehicles, not etis.ford.com, per Tricia, the official FordService rep.

Edited by kostby

Sorry, something strange is going on with the ETIS website.  MY car is showing up as a '14 Energi too. 

But I'm seeing an "SE" in there which leads me to believe you have the (unfortunately) model plagued with the most battery problems.

You should be using owner.ford.com to look up information about US-built C-MAX vehicles, not etis.ford.com, per Tricia, the official FordService rep.

Non the less, it would be disturbing if the data didn't match between the two Ford sites.

Hello guys,

I agree with kostby. The website mentioned above is not an official Ford website. If you have any questions about your vehicle, don't hesitate to contact me, your local Ford Dealer, or the Ford Owner site.

I came out ready to go to work on Tuesday and i had the dreaded dead battery. I after reading this forum had bought a small jump battery just for this case. I commute 61 miles each way every day so I did not want the issue of being stuck. Anyway I jumped it all seemed fine i drove to work and returned home with no issues. After about 10 mins arriving home we were going to dinner and got back in car and drove to dinner car dash warning lights went nuts, 5 different failures - traction control, engine overheat, restraint system, and a couple others I didnt write them down as i was trying to pull over...

Thanks for reaching out to me, Creper13.

I’ve escalated this case to a customer service manager. The CSM will be in contact with you shortly, and they’ll work with the dealer to reach a resolution.

Let me know if you have any updates, and I’ll gladly add them to the file.  :) 

Tricia 

2nd time I could not start since I bought the C-Max. After a jump, I quickly disconnected the cables, turned the car off, and it starts just fine. No need to jump again..... This does not seem possible. The no start/no power seems to me more like a software issue. The car forgets.....

2nd time I could not start since I bought the C-Max. After a jump, I quickly disconnected the cables, turned the car off, and it starts just fine. No need to jump again..... This does not seem possible. The no start/no power seems to me more like a software issue. The car forgets.....

2nd time I could not start since I bought the C-Max. After a jump, i quickly disconnected the cables, turned the car off, and it starts just fine. No need to jump again..... This does not seem possible. The no start/no power seems to me more like a software issue. The car forgets.....

2nd time I could not start since I bought the C-Max. After a jump, i quickly disconnected the cables, turned the car off, and it starts just fine. No need to jump again..... This does not seem possible. The no start/no power seems to me more like a software issue. The car forgets.....