Dead Battery for the fifth time

darlstuvick

2nd time I could not start since I bought the C-Max. After a jump, I quickly disconnected the cables, turned the car off, and it starts just fine. No need to jump again..... This does not seem possible. The no start/no power seems to me more like a software issue. The car forgets.....

Wonder if it's a poor connection at the 12v battery, weird. ;)

Paul

I have a 2013 C-Max hybrid SEL.  It was one of the first model, purchased October 2013.  I have had numerous dead batteries  and learned to take a portable jumper with me.  On several occassions we have found the windows down when for sure ther were up.  Sometimes the brakes seem to go on by themselves but no one at ford dealers seem to know much about the car.  One dealer didn't seem to know where the engine battery was.  The mileage hasn't been bad but the other problems, especially the dead batteries are getting old.  I set my car up to tow behind the motorhome and followed all the procedures set out in the owners manual.  Its seems silly to me that I would have to put a charger to the battery when towing.  I've tried stopping every 2 hours to run the car and that doesn't work.  I have asked my dealer in Brandon, Fl to check the battery every time I've had it over there(serviced regularly and all recalls done) and they say ok.  Ford in Fort Walton Bch, Fl, said need a full charge but I can stop car and leave on for 1 minute and battery saver comes on telling me to turn off or crank.  We've had it up to here and have had enough.  I have another appt. at Brandon Ford tomorrow.  I'm ready to get rid of it and go back to GM.

Bill

Greeting bill37

I don't think there are very many if any (maybe Jeep) newer cars that can be towed without pulling a fuse or charging from the motor home.

We have over 10K towed miles without a dead battery or stopping to run the motor.
The one time we stopped the motor didn't start till I turned the AC on, it still a took few minutes till the high voltage battery started to run down.

Have you seen this thread we have a few forum members who tow their cmax.
http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/374-recreational-towing-behind-a-motor-home/

Take a look at post #92 pg 5, here's a link to the BrakeBuddy 39332 I installed.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=B004RCXB8A

We've really enjoyed towing our cmax and hopefully will add another 600+ towed miles in May.

wab

Edited by wab

Hey guys,

First of all, I want to say welcome to the neighborhood, labensky and bill37!  :) My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative. I'm here to lend a hand.

2nd time I could not start since I bought the C-Max. After a jump, I quickly disconnected the cables, turned the car off, and it starts just fine. No need to jump again..... This does not seem possible. The no start/no power seems to me more like a software issue. The car forgets.....

Labensky,

Let me look into this further. What’s the current mileage on your C-MAX?

I have a 2013 C-Max hybrid SEL.  It was one of the first model, purchased October 2013.  I have had numerous dead batteries  and learned to take a portable jumper with me...

I wouldn't post my phone number on a forum.  You might want to use a PM to the Ford rep. although you may need a few more "test" posts to be able to PM...

bill37,

Plus 3 Golfer is correct. To protect your privacy please delete the post that has your phone number. I’ll need your C-MAX mileage as well to look into available options to assist.

Tricia

To 

To: DaveloMA 

I have a 2013 CMax SE that I bought last year with 4,000K miles. It has 15,500 miles on it now. Even though it is an SE, it has the winter package, interior "mood" lighting, and I had leather seats installed for a little luxury. I did not get navigation and this saved me a few $$. I use my phone if I'm in need of directions, which isn't that often so it works for me. I believe my car must have been a fleet car, because it has features not generally included on a SE. Check out the dealership. You may be surprised. 

Recently my battery did go dead, but I'd left my lights on in a parking garage. It jumped started right away, and has been absolutely no problem since then, and it's been very cold. Go ahead, get a C-Max!

Hi, I've been a C-Max owners since april 2013. I'm originally from the Motor City so I like to spend my money supporting American Car Makers.  I've been a Ford Customer for many years, owned several Mustangs, F150.  However I've had the C-Max strand me with the dead battery 3 times now. Once in a rainstorm while trying to get kids to school.  Each time the dealer says "we've fixed it."

1st time:  it's the sync system, we re-programmed it. 

2nd time:  There was a wire loose under the seat that was causing the battery to drain. We fixed it.

3rd time:  The battery was bad. We think we fixed it.  

I'm at my ropes end with Ford and ready to buy a Toyota.  I filed a claim with Ford and they offered me an extended warranty. (go figure)  It seems silly that I should have to go out a buy a charger to jump my car when it doesn't start.  

Oh, did I mention the Ford Road service?  The guy shows up to my house with no jumper cables!!

Hi, I've been a C-Max owners since april 2013. I'm originally from the Motor City so I like to spend my money supporting American Car Makers.  I've been a Ford Customer for many years, owned several Mustangs, F150.  However I've had the C-Max strand me with the dead battery 3 times now. Once in a rainstorm while trying to get kids to school.  Each time the dealer says "we've fixed it."

2nd time:  There was a wire loose under the seat that was causing the battery to drain. We fixed it.

I'm at my ropes end with Ford and ready to buy a Toyota.  I filed a claim with Ford and they offered me an extended warranty. (go figure)  It seems silly that I should have to go out a buy a charger to jump my car when it doesn't start.  

Oh, did I mention the Ford Road service?  The guy shows up to my house with no jumper cables!!

Greetings and Welcome

Take a look at this thread it's located in the "Maintenance TSB,s and Recalls" sub forum.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/1921-dead-12-volt-water-in-electrical-connectors/

"Upon hearing that my battery was dead after all the battery related TSBs were performed, Ford engineers toldthe mechanic working on my car to check the following electrical connectors for water intrusion: C134, C144, C140, C1812, and C1651. One of those is for fog lights. C1812 is for the coolant water pump. I am not sure yet what the others are for. These connectors are all on the main engine wiring harness.

Water was found in connectors C144 and C1651."

Here's another thread, you might want to print it.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2428-ssm-32298-2013-c-max-fusionmkz-hybridenergi-possible-water-intrusion-in-connectors/

wab

Welcome to the community, moedavis!  :) 

My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative. Let me look into this further. Have you considered seeking another Ford Dealer for a second opinion, and what’s the current mileage?

Tricia 

Sounds like the car is total a junk pile and you should trade it on a Toyota to make everything right again.

Add me to the list of 2014 SE owners with the dead battery problem. Got the car in November, and I've had three dead batteries already, including one today. Took it to the dealership each time. Last time they updated all the software. This time the technician suggested that maybe I'm just not driving the car enough, which seems like a b.s. answer. I do have a short commute to work, but that shouldn't affect battery charging (presuming that the system is smart enough to send charge where it's needed). My wife has a 2006 Prius and an even shorter commute, and she's never had a problem. 

I'm hoping this time they manage to actually fix it. Otherwise, I'm gonna start lemon law proceedings next time.

Add me to the list of 2014 SE owners with the dead battery problem. Got the car in November, and I've had three dead batteries already, including one today. Took it to the dealership each time. Last time they updated all the software. This time the technician suggested that maybe I'm just not driving the car enough, which seems like a b.s. answer. I do have a short commute to work, but that shouldn't affect battery charging (presuming that the system is smart enough to send charge where it's needed). My wife has a 2006 Prius and an even shorter commute, and she's never had a problem. 

I'm hoping this time they manage to actually fix it. Otherwise, I'm gonna start lemon law proceedings next time.

I would suggest you PM Tricia our FORD Service Rep with your info and just solve the problem. IMO :)

Paul

Welcome to the forum!

I'm happy to look into some options. Please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

I would suggest you PM Tricia our FORD Service Rep with your info and just solve the problem. IMO :)

Paul

Thanks for the shout-out!

Tricia will be back Monday; I'm her buddy on the forums, so you'll see me popping in on occasion. :)

Meagan

We have a 2013 c max with a dead battery for the fourth time this morning. Wife is not happy after finishing work and car didn't start. Put jump pack on i hear something click car fires up shut it off starts right up. Dealer has no clue. What are the requirements for lemon law? Any suggestions?

Sounds like a bad battery connection to me. ;)

Paul

We have a 2013 c max with a dead battery for the fourth time this morning. Wife is not happy after finishing work and car didn't start. Put jump pack on i hear something click car fires up shut it off starts right up. Dealer has no clue. What are the requirements for lemon law? Any suggestions?

Sorry about your dead batteries, you're not alone.

A couple things about "Lemon Laws".

They are VERY state specific!.

DOCUMENTATION!!! Sorry but you need to stop jumping your cmax, call Ford road side assistance EVERY time you have a dead battery!

Here are a couple links you may not have seen.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/forum/15-maintenance-tsbs-recalls/

there are SEVERAL causes and TSB for the 12v dead battery.

You might want to print them and ask your dealer if they've checked your radio, wiring harness, water pump and the electric connectors that get wet.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/3310-official-ford-service-rep/page-2

Send a PM to our "OFFICIAL FORD SERVICE REP" with your VIN, mileage and contact ìnfo.

Hope you get it fixed

wab

Welcome to the neighborhood, zone1090!  :) 

My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative. I replied to your PM. Please check your inbox, send the requested information, and I’ll get the ball rolling on my end.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/3310-official-ford-service-rep/page-2

Send a PM to our "OFFICIAL FORD SERVICE REP" with your VIN, mileage and contact ìnfo.

Hope you get it fixed

wab

Wab,

Thanks for the mention, and enjoy the rest of your evening!  ;) 

Tricia 

• 3 weeks later...

We have a 2013 C-MAX purchased 9/12 and the 12volt battery has now failed us 3 times.  Completely dead had to be towed each time.  The most recent time was last week while we are vacationing in Florida.  All recalls and "Fixes" have been applied still do not have any real answer to what causes this.

One more occurrence and I will be looking to the Michigan Lemon Law.  Really too bad because other than this problem we really love the vehicle.  

Does anyone know if the battery problem is only happening on the 2013 models?  I might consider trading up to a newer model.

Any information you can provide would be appreciated.

We have a 2013 C-MAX purchased 9/12 and the 12volt battery has now failed us 3 times.  Completely dead had to be towed each time.  The most recent time was last week while we are vacationing in Florida.  All recalls and "Fixes" have been applied still do not have any real answer to what causes this.

One more occurrence and I will be looking to the Michigan Lemon Law.  Really too bad because other than this problem we really love the vehicle.  

Does anyone know if the battery problem is only happening on the 2013 models?  I might consider trading up to a newer model.

Any information you can provide would be appreciated.

I've not seen a lot of complaints on the 2014 or 2015, either here or over on the C-Max Energi forum. II think most of the problems were early production SE models as well, so getting a 2015 or 2014 SEL might be a good idea.

Update:

After going through the BBB Autoline Arbitration process, Ford has to buy my car back.  I'm quite sad that I had to fight to get Ford to do the right thing.  In this competitive market you would think that Ford would try harder to satisfy its customers.  As far as Ford was concerned, the number of times the car wouldn't start were reasonable.  I've owned a Toyota for 11 years and the truck has started every time I've turned the key.  A long story short, good bye to Ford.

• 1 month later...

Well, here I am again...  2014 C-MAX purchased last September.  The Ford dealer replaced the DC-DC converter back in December.  We thought we were good to go.  No trouble for 6 months.   But, this morning, the car would not start.  Same symtoms as ever.  Put the glovebox jumper pack on it and it started right up. 

What to do?  How to document this properly?  I did not call roadiside assistance becuase I cannot afford to wait for them and be late to work.  Is there any value in calling them now, after the fact to log the event? 

Have there been any new developments since december?  We only have 4700 miles on this car.  The chafe problem addressed by TSB 14-0155 doesn't seem likely.  Maybe the DC-DC converter is going bad again.

-BGarr

Edited by bgarr