Can Steering Effort be Lowered for Disabled?

eldrijt

Hi, I just ordered a cmax energi 2014. I like how easy the electric steering is at low speed, but the speed sensitive steering effort increases with speed. i have very weak arms due to ALS (ice bucket challenge disease). So i'm wondering if I can adjust the gain on the electric power steering? Can someone check the manual for me?

Thanks,

Jim

AFAIK, there is no user adjustment for steering effort. Given that Ford uses EPAS on a lot of model with different driving / steering characteristics, I would think EPAS would need to be tuned for the vehicle. 

This is a good question for the Ford rep that monitors this site to dig into or a knowledgeable dealer tech.   

Hi, I just ordered a cmax energi 2014. I like how easy the electric steering is at low speed, but the speed sensitive steering effort increases with speed. i have very weak arms due to ALS (ice bucket challenge disease). So i'm wondering if I can adjust the gain on the electric power steering? Can someone check the manual for me?

Thanks,

Jim

Sorry, it can't be done. Also sorry to hear of your ALS, glad you are still mobile! You may want to post over on the C-Max energi site next time:

Actually, I personally find the steering to be too sensitive at speed.

http://fordcmaxenergiforum.com/

Since the system is speed sensitive I wonder if I can trick it into thinking it's always going 8 mph? Find the speed input and give it either a set voltage or preferably a set resistance. if I had the workshop manual i could see how it works. I had a similar situation on another car. Had a 98 z28 with a skip shift "feature" that made you shift from 1st to 4th if you were driving slow with the 6 speed manual. i put a 50 cent resistor in the solenoid wiring and the solenoid "thought" i was driving hard, problem solved. if anyone has the manual maybe they can email me those pages? eldridgepj@comcast.net

Thanks,

jim