Considering buying C-Max, but for the colors!

n2scuba

I took a C-Max out for a drive. Except for the turn radius, I loved everything about the drive. Just plain fun. I should introduce myself by at least revealing I'm a 71-year-old female. I'm reading this forum to decide on buying versus leasing, as well as Energi versus regular SEL Hybrid. But what's stopping me from moving forward so far is the boring exterior color choices. Seriously? Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't like color. I loved the Ice Storm color (though paler than I'd prefer) and was disappointed to see it discontinued. Red is at least a real color, but been there, done that. Then I got really excited when I saw the gorgeous 2016 Caribou color introduced at the Paris show. But it's not in the 2016 order brochure. How about a bright yellow, turquoise or teal, or even a Green? After all, this is a "green" car. I drive a car for many years, so color matters. I guess I could lease for a couple of years and wait. At the moment the only "color" I could live with is Tectonic. If the Caribou was available, though, I would buy it ASAP.

You can always get Ice Storm in a 2014 model -- no reason not to get the older car (since they didn't add anything particular in the 2015 models) and you might get a good deal on one.

We love the color -- and a lot of folks have commented on how nice it looks (one of things I really like, at MY advanced age, is the lack of need to wash it often.  Even here in Florida I seldom wash it more than once every four or five months, and it still looks clean and beautiful).

The choice between Energi and SEL Hybrid should largely be based on the type of driving you do. If you typically take shorter trips, the Energi is the better choice. If you typically drive 10 miles or more when you get in your car, then the Hybrid is likely as good or a better choice.

The issue with hybrids and short trips is that when the car first turns the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) on, it keeps it on until everything is up to operating temperature. This means (somewhat depending on temperature) the first 5 or 10 minutes of your drive,the ICE will be on pretty constantly -- meaning you will get around the same fuel economy as a regular car. This is particularly true if you need the heater on, as it uses the heat from the ICE to warm the air.

By contrast, the Energi has an electric heater; if you have remote start you can even turn the car on and get the interior warm before you leave the house. Since, as long as it is charged, it can work on the electric motor only, you have 20+ miles of driving before it needs to start the ICE. Like the Hybrid, though, when the ICE turns on in the Energi it will stay on until everything is warmed up. 

Of course, there is also the consideration of cargo space, as the Energi does have the large battery pack that reduces the space behind the rear seats. As was suggested, you can likely find a 2014 Energi or Hybrid in Ice Storm, or you can likely find a new (if that is what you want) 2015 in the Blue Candy which is an interesting color.

Hopefully you can find one you like as it is a great little car. Personally I love the height which gives easy entry/exit as well as lots of window area while you are driving.

I appreciate the feedback. Most of my driving involves short trips under 20 mi, and in the Bay Area, I rarely need heat or air-conditioning. But driving only about 4k mi per year, I don't think I would ever make up the difference in cost between the SEL hybrid and the Energi in gas savings. But there is something to be said for just choosing the "greener" alternative. I am particularly intrigued by the posts from C-Max owners who say their only "regret" is not going with the Energi. I am also a little concerned about the cargo space reduction in the Energi. I often make runs to the airport with a couple of guests with a couple of pieces of luggage each. I also need a trunk big enough to conceal its contents while I'm traveling or shopping. I have used my Toyota Corolla Wagon for years for hauling furniture, storm doors, etc, but I'm getting a little too old for hauling heavy items anyway.

I too like the fact that the C-Max seating position is high. I test drove a Lexus CT200h and loved the comfort of the driver's seat. But the driver is seated low. I'm not looking for a sports car feel, and getting in and out is difficult at my age. On the other hand, getting into and out of the Ford Escape was equally difficult for me, being too high. The C-Max was easy to enter and exit, just right. But for the colors. Sigh.

I haven't seen an Ice Storm C-Max in a Bay Area dealership for months, but I think I would prefer to await the 2016 so that I can get the latest safety upgrades.

I leased my 2015 Energi back in April and Ford had an $8000.00 rebate on it at the time. With $500.00 down I have a total payment of under $250.00 for 24 months, 855 miles a month.  The Hybrid didn't have near the rebate from what I recall so the prices were very comparable.  I didn't have to worry about being eligible for a tax credit if I had purchased, since a rebate was given on the lease.

And the price?

One guy "wrapped" his whole car in duct tape - I'm sure it was much cheaper (not sure about color choices though)!  That Ikon stuff does give you some options.  Solid chrome might be cool but I'd probably go for a wood grain!  Let's see, walnut burl, quarter sawn oak, zebrawood, - could be a tough decision.

Based on what you've described, I would suggest you lease a C-Max Hybrid SEL for 2-3 years and then assess the situation again at that time.  If you don't plan on owning it for more than a few years regardless, then you won't like the depreciation when it comes time to trade it in; the lease solves that problem.  As for Energi vs. Hybrid, that seems to be well covered above.  If you don't mind buying a 240v power station for your home and you don't mind the nearly-nil trunk space, then sure, the Energi will net you a little more "green pride" with the improved efficiency.  But when we compared them side-by-side, we chose the added cargo space of the Hybrid without hesitation.  I'm sure we have different needs, though (long trips, baby on the way, etc.).  I don't know if you can still lease a 2014 model, but if so, you can probably get a great deal on it.  I've got a 2014 Ice Storm (great color indeed) SEL with 301A over 3 years with $0 down for about $365, which would be a little less elsewhere since we pay more in tax here in Texas.  Or get the color you want in a barely-used model for really, really cheap.

I agree that the turning radius catches me off guard sometimes, but I'm coming from a Volvo V70R that U-turned with the agility of a cruise ship, so the C-Max is obviously an appreciable improvement.  It still turns a little wider than my Cadillac ATS sedan, but we have no problem getting into our tight garage or any other spots.  I don't consider it a significant weakness.  My wife loves everything about her C-Max, and I've very much enjoyed the fuel bills lately.

Thanks, Blue Tom. I am indeed looking into a two-year lease. I'm awaiting a quote on the cost of a 240 power station installation but am leaning toward going with the Hybrid SEL. If there were a fully loaded (302A) Hybrid SEL or Energi in Ice Storm available in my area for lease, I would grab it. But I'm thinking a Tectonic or Red would be ok for two years while I wait to see if they bring the Caribou color to the States in a C-Max -- or bring back the Ice Storm or something close to it.

Thanks, Blue Tom. I am indeed looking into a two-year lease. I'm awaiting a quote on the cost of a 240 power station installation but am leaning toward going with the Hybrid SEL. If there were a fully loaded (302A) Hybrid SEL or Energi in Ice Storm available in my area for lease, I would grab it. But I'm thinking a Tectonic or Red would be ok for two years while I wait to see if they bring the Caribou color to the States in a C-Max -- or bring back the Ice Storm or something close to it.

Why pay for a 240 install and equipment when the charger that comes with an Energi will probable serve you well?   Easy to use, plugs into a standard house 120 outlet, and is portable.  I have a 24 month lease, and so far have never had a need for the 240 charger or cost associated with it.   If I were buying and keeping the vehicle for more than 2 years, I would consider the 240 charger.  However, my driving habits really don't require numerous charging per day, or quick charging right now.  Plugging in at night if I know I will be using the car next day for more than a few miles, or even plugging in in the morning to get me a range that I need has worked so far.

Why pay for a 240 install and equipment when the charger that comes with an Energi will probable serve you well?   Easy to use, plugs into a standard house 120 outlet, and is portable.  I have a 24 month lease, and so far have never had a need for the 240 charger or cost associated with it.   If I were buying and keeping the vehicle for more than 2 years, I would consider the 240 charger.  However, my driving habits really don't require numerous charging per day, or quick charging right now.  Plugging in at night if I know I will be using the car next day for more than a few miles, or even plugging in in the morning to get me a range that I need has worked so far.

Holy heck. I have a lot more to learn. I didn't realize that was an option. Installing a 240 for me would entail the added expense of needing to expand my electrical panel which is currently full and in need of updating, something I need to do anyway, but not immediately.

Yes, this is my thought, as well. Most people have no need for the 240V charger, since most charge overnight. Additionally, charging at 110V is likely somewhat better for the battery, as charging the battery faster causes more heat. Ford even has it set up so you can plug the car in but set when you actually want the car to charge, for many that would be after the electric rates drop around midnight.

Edited by raadsel

Holy heck. I have a lot more to learn. I didn't realize that was an option. Installing a 240 for me would entail the added expense of needing to expand my electrical panel which is currently full and in need of updating, something I need to do anyway, but not immediately.

Just to chip in my opinion here. I have an Ice Storm 2014 Energi. If your daily use is less that 20 miles, you won't have to add gas unless you go on a trip or you reach 1800 miles of electric use. The engine will come on occasionally to keep the oil fresh, and the fuel has to burn off at 1800 miles to keep the fuel fresh. I love the EV driving, although I go on an out of town trip every couple of weeks. But between that - silent, EV driving!

If you have only two passengers, the rear seat will fold down to provide plenty of room. If you need four seats total, then the larger battery in the back may be a problem. You can see the difference clearly at the dealer by comparing the two.

If you absolutely need the cargo to be covered, then the Hybrid is the way to go. The Energy doesn't have much covered space.