Stolen cMax

Teresatrow

Obviously, the thieves can start a keyless entry vehicle and drive from San Francisco to the East Bay

Was the vehicle locked AND the IA Key Fob removed from the vehicle?  Thieves can start any vehicle, regardless if it is keyless or if it needs a key.  Makes it much easier for them if the key is in it.

Probably testing a device like this. :)

Car makers came up with "rolling code" after thieves figured out how to wirelessly steal codes from early keyless devices. The system works by changing the passkey every time you use a fob, preventing it from being used a second time. In theory, that makes any stolen code useless to an attacker. As with many of his hacks, Kamkar's workaround is simple yet ingenious. Rolljam blocks the remote signal from reaching the vehicle with a pair of radios, then uses a third one to record the wireless code.

Naturally, the mark will try to use the fob again, and once again, Rolljam will jam the signal and steal the second code. But this time, Kamkar's device will re-transmit the first code and unlock the car, so the victim thinks everything's alright. Since your vehicle didn't receive the second code, however, it can now be used by a thieves to steal your car anytime they want. If the device is placed in proximity of a car or garage, it can keep stealing and retransmitting codes, ensuring it always has a fresh, working one.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

My CMax was stolen this morning. Thanks to the Ford location finder app I was able to find it. Shocker: no damage to the car. Obviously, the thieves can start a keyless entry vehicle and drive from San Francisco to the East Bay. Very long day, but I have my car.

Ford, how many cars are getting stolen?

Do you have an Energi? The Energi will show the vehicle location in the MyFord Mobile app.

My CMax was stolen this morning. Thanks to the Ford location finder app I was able to find it. Shocker: no damage to the car. Obviously, the thieves can start a keyless entry vehicle and drive from San Francisco to the East Bay. Very long day, but I have my car.

Once started, the Fob is not needed unless the ICE stops. So if they were able to intercept the codes (as is now possible), they could start the car. The person has to be close enough to read the codes when you use the FOB though.

Was this LoJack, or some other location finder?

My key was not in the car, in which case I would have been giving my car away. The Ford app is apparently only for EVs. The app pointed me to the exact location of my vehicle in Richmond, CA. After waiting for about 3 hours for the Richmond police to be able to respond I got my CMax. No kidding.

That sounds like LoJack.

EDIT: Just noticed your profile - nice choice on colors, I have an identical one. Does yours have 303a?

Edited by stevedebi

Glad you got your car back. It would have been better if you got the thieves as well. Most of the time they steal it and drive it to a "cooling off" area to see if anyone shows up to get. After a day or 2 they come back for it. Did the cops check for prints?

What I don't understand is why did they steal it? These things aren't exactly flying off the lots as it is. Maybe they had an "order" in for one for one from a body repair shop. I made sure to etch all my glass so they can't easily re-use that. I put a code on every window to identify where the glass came from if they steal it. 

I'm sorry to hear of the theft.  I'm glad you were able to find it with MyFordMobile.  I'm even happier that when you did find it, it wasn't damaged.

It may be possible to determine volume of car thefts based on some insurance think tank's research about claims made on stolen vehicles, but I don't think that manufacturers have information available to them, other than information that would be complied by law enforcement and insurance.

That sounds like LoJack.

I suppose that the vehicle locator which is part of the MyFordMobile package which is part of all the Energi series vehicles and the Focus Electric could be akin to LoJack, however it is operated by the special information logging module that is part of Energi vehicles.  As an Energi owner I have the option of signing up my vehicle at the MyFordMobile web site and then I can get some intersting statistics about my driving and charging.  The vehicle locator is part of that package along with various vehicle charging tools which are also geolocated.

It is an impressive feature.

I'm sorry to hear of the theft.  I'm glad you were able to find it with MyFordMobile.  I'm even happier that when you did find it, it wasn't damaged.

It may be possible to determine volume of car thefts based on some insurance think tank's research about claims made on stolen vehicles, but I don't think that manufacturers have information available to them, other than information that would be complied by law enforcement and insurance.

I suppose that the vehicle locator which is part of the MyFordMobile package which is part of all the Energi series vehicles and the Focus Electric could be akin to LoJack, however it is operated by the special information logging module that is part of Energi vehicles.  As an Energi owner I have the option of signing up my vehicle at the MyFordMobile web site and then I can get some intersting statistics about my driving and charging.  The vehicle locator is part of that package along with various vehicle charging tools which are also geolocated.

It is an impressive feature.

He has a C-Max hybrid, not an Energi, so it wasn't MFM.